CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Alright..... 180 mile ride, and I do have to say that the jury is still out on these bars.... My biggest problem?? My clutch fingers kept cramping up..... and this was a pretty rural ride.... The whole second half of the ride, I had to resort to clutchless up and downshifting (of which the N was flawless at......). I’m hoping this was just because I hadn’t been on the bike for a month and a half...

The second problem is the 19mm risers for the bars I ordered still didn’t clear the tank. The 30mm risers should be here on Thursday....and they are going to be close...... I wish they made a 40mm, but I can’t find em if they do. If these don’t work, my only option left is the Rox risers and I’m not sold on that “look”, so I’ll probably go back to the superbike bars.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Me thinks with your size, the lack of angle of the bars, and weight on your hands leaning more forward you risk developing carpel tunnel or some other injury if you fingers are cramping or not getting enough blood flow. OK I guess for short rides, but not workable for long rides. I had put Heli bars on my old Victory so I could get rid of exactly what you are describing and sit more relaxed. Remember my first ride. Stopped after 45 minutes for hand pain. Pulled out a allen wrench, changed handle angle, good to go for years after.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Alright..... 180 mile ride, and I do have to say that the jury is still out on these bars.... My biggest problem?? My clutch fingers kept cramping up..... and this was a pretty rural ride.... The whole second half of the ride, I had to resort to clutchless up and downshifting (of which the N was flawless at......). I’m hoping this was just because I hadn’t been on the bike for a month and a half...

The second problem is the 19mm risers for the bars I ordered still didn’t clear the tank. The 30mm risers should be here on Thursday....and they are going to be close...... I wish they made a 40mm, but I can’t find em if they do. If these don’t work, my only option left is the Rox risers and I’m not sold on that “look”, so I’ll probably go back to the superbike bars.

Maybe this is one of those times that things are better left alone.;)
My wallet has gotten lighter many times when I thought trying things just didn't achieve what I intended.:)

Doug

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Maybe this is one of those times that things are better left alone.;)
My wallet has gotten lighter many times when I thought trying things just didn't achieve what I intended.:)

Doug

You may be right...... but if I didn't buy bike stuff, I'd just spend it on beer.... :D......and.......

If it didn't look so dang good (imho), I'd be back to the superbike bars in a heartbeat.

The funny thing, that on the ride, my back was fine and I felt pretty comfortable except for the hand (...and my knee, but I know what that problem is.....). I was playing with the amount of weight I was putting on my hands and it was doing exactly what it was supposed to... at 50 mph... I was pretty much balanced with the wind pushing against my chest. Even today my fingers are sore.... I can't figure it out.....

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think it's the angle of the grips/throttle/clutch. They need to be bent towards you some. If you really like them, and can put up with a slight mod., take them to a shop or if you have pipe bending equipment, have them put some angle towards you. Others may know some "optimal" angle percentages.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think it's the angle of the grips/throttle/clutch. They need to be bent towards you some. If you really like them, and can put up with a slight mod., take them to a shop or if you have pipe bending equipment, have them put some angle towards you. Others may know some "optimal" angle percentages.

You may be on to something here Mike.... I took those superbike bars and turned em upside down.... Low and behold, they were bent more inward at the ends.... not by much, but we all know how adjusting things by a half inch changes the feeling drastically....

I've got higher risers coming, and I'm going to adjust the clutch lever up a bit. I've also got some other brake levers that I was going to use on the V45, that I might try on this.... I'll give these things a few hundred more miles and we'll see how it goes.....

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
One more thing I forgot to mention, was how the USB port worked. JFC was right. Putting the port where the factory wants you to put it makes plugging in the cord near impossible. Since I only use my phone, I found a six inch charging cord that will stay in the USB port.

Worked great!!! Four hours of music and gps and the phone was completely charged.....

Reactions: explorecaves

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The 30mm risers came in the mail today, and after a couple of coats of etching primer and a couple of coats of paint. I installed them and the handlebars, and the handlebars cleared the tank.......barely......

Clutch position and tension are adjusted hopefully to be easier on the hand ......and......

Random bit of humor.......

·
Registered
997 Posts
The 30mm risers came in the mail today, and after a couple of coats of etching primer and a couple of coats of paint. I installed them and the handlebars, and the handlebars cleared the tank.......barely......

Clutch position and tension are adjusted hopefully to be easier on the hand ....../QUOTE]

:eek::eek::eek:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts