CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what all will take place here, or how much I'll do, but instead of posting things all over this site about what I've done to the bike, I thought it would be better to keep everything in one spot.

I have a 2014 CTX700N that I bought "new" last year. Too good of a deal to pass up and it felt really comfortable. In addition, my wife felt comfortable on the back. Sooooo... I've taken a few months to decide what I wanted to do.... asked a bunch of questions and have begun to make the bike "mine".

So far the only real thing I've done is swapped out the handlebars for a more "sportbike" type feel.
https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx700-general-discussion-forum/76439-answer-why-hasnt-been-tried.html

..... added what some members feel is the equivalent of a murse :D

https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/luggage-cargo/77931-its-all-about-looks-baby.html

.....and added a centerstand after an unfortunate tire incident
https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx700-general-discussion-forum/76467-ctx700-riddle.html

Yesterday I started adding USB ports to the bike. I'm going through a sub-harness with two ports. One in the front for me..... one in the back for my wife (pics in the next post).

alright then.... I think I'm caught up....

......and here we go...........

Reactions: Ruby and david1954

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alright.... some good news... some bad today....

I have both of the USB ports wired up. The front one works, but the back one doesn't.

Both measured +12vdc, so I'm hoping its a defective port thing. I did cut the fuse out of the rear one thinking the bike fuse would handle it. Both are 7.5amps.... I'm having another one shipped from amazon.... hopefully that will do the trick.

Maybe tomorrow night, I can get er all bundled up. I'm waiting on the fairing crack to cure. I took Dave's suggestion. I didn't have any JB weld, so I just used some regular epoxy instead (I marked the crack with a white paint pen because you can hardly see it).

Reactions: Ruby and david1954

·
Registered
829 Posts
For the wiring of the usb port.... did you run the two in series off the same accessory plug or in parallel off of different accessory plugs? If you ran them in parallel, you will run the risk of overloading the fuse in the panel... if you run them in series, then they will be the same current draw across them both. Also did you check to see if you had the polarity correct on the dead port? Sometimes they include diode protection that will not let them work if wired backwards....

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also did you check to see if you had the polarity correct on the dead port? Sometimes they include diode protection that will not let them work if wired backwards....

Ugh.... yes wrong polarity... I'm sure that did it. The front one didn't say anything about polarity issues (...or I just got lucky....), but the rear one did...... My voltage to the rear one measured -12.1V..... ooops.....

For the wiring of the usb port.... did you run the two in series off the same accessory plug or in parallel off of different accessory plugs? If you ran them in parallel, you will run the risk of overloading the fuse in the panel... if you run them in series, then they will be the same current draw across them both.

I understand what you are saying here EC, but here's my question for you... I have one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0.... A 2.0 has a maximum draw of 500mA and a 3.0 has a maximum draw of 900mA.... These are the only two things hooked to my accessory plug. I should be ok in parallel here right?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ugh.... yes wrong polarity... I'm sure that did it. The front one didn't say anything about polarity issues (...or I just got lucky....), but the rear one did...... My voltage to the rear one measured -12.1V..... ooops.....

I understand what you are saying here EC, but here's my question for you... I have one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0.... A 2.0 has a maximum draw of 500mA and a 3.0 has a maximum draw of 900mA.... These are the only two things hooked to my accessory plug. I should be ok in parallel here right?
You will be drawing 1.4A plus whatever else is in parallel with the rest of the accessory sockets.... you will be good if that is all you have on the accessory sockets.... if you have more, you will need to add each accessory socket branch...

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will be drawing 1.4A plus whatever else is in parallel with the rest of the accessory sockets.... you will be good if that is all you have on the accessory sockets.... if you have more, you will need to add each accessory socket branch...
Got it!!! Thanks for your help.

Reactions: explorecaves

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Just a heads up, those USB ports if on non-switched power will deplete the battery (if not riding regularly).

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a heads up, those USB ports if on non-switched power will deplete the battery (if not riding regularly).
Thanks for that.... I went through the accessory plug for that very reason. I need a usb up front for my phone. It plays my GPS and my music. I can tuck my phone in the glovebox with a short charging cord and just Bluetooth everything to my earplugs...... That way my only distraction is my head bopping up and down to Quiet Riot :D

Reactions: Usafle

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s hard to be a motorcyclist and be cool......

My new drag bars arrived today....... Our mail carrier said my package was the talk of the post office..........

Reactions: Professor*76

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright...... Pretty productive day here.... I've bundled up all the wiring and put the bike back together.

thanks to Dave's paper clip fix, you can't tell where that crack is looking at it, but I can feel it when I rub my thumb over it.... I'll look again in the bright sunlight, but those days are few and far between right now.

For the rear USB port, I slotted between the body panels a little more with a dremel and fished the wires outside the seat.

I do have a question though..... I'm going to drill and tap into the luggage rack to mount the rear usb port. I'm tempted to mount the post angled down to keep the weather out.

but I didn't know if I should mount it at an upward angle to keep the cord from vibrating out.

I'm hoping some of you handlebar USB guys would have some input.....

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
997 Posts
I generally unplug my devices and put the cap on when it starts to rain and isn't small or brief. Phone can run on a battery until it stops. Also, my GPS has a battery good for 2-3 hours, but I can always use the GPS on the phone. My phone is water resistant, the GPS isn't (a car mode) and it and many others have been through drenching rain.

I also put my wallet and money in a baggie and stick them away, unless I need rain gear on.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drag Bars are installed!!!! Sort of

Well.... I installed the drag bars. and they look pretty good on the bike

Here's a couple with me on the bike. It did what I wanted it to and that was scoot me back in the seat a little. Being 6'3", my knees didn't quite fit in the tank cutouts unless I sat on the step. Now with the lean, I can scoot back just a tad more

The complete side view looks like I'm stretching, but I'm really not.

A couple little things if anyone else wants to do this. First.... its very important to orient the throttle cables straight up. Any other positions get in the way of the brake.

Second and probably more important. with the bare bar, the steering would go from stop to stop. but with the switch housings on, they hit the front of the tank just a tad before hitting the steering stop.... I mean just a smidge..... ugh.... The easiest thing to do would be to pad the front of the tank, but I think I'm going to look for a riser that raises the bar just about an inch.

Overall..... I really am happy with the look, and I went for about a five minute ride and the position seemed fine.

Oh..... one more thing..... I am a professional motorcycle model if you'd like to have pictures of me taken on YOUR bike........ :D

Reactions: explorecaves

·
Registered
425 Posts
Was looking at your position. You must be over 6 ft tall. I'm stretching 5'10" and after about a hr in that position I would need a gin pole to lift me off the bike :eek:. I like mine more like a recliner:D. Goldwings spoiled me. Be like we say we buy them and then make them ours;).
David

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reactions: flat6bagger

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Was looking at your position. You must be over 6 ft tall. I'm stretching 5'10" and after about a hr in that position I would need a gin pole to lift me off the bike :eek:. I like mine more like a recliner:D. Goldwings spoiled me. Be like we say we buy them and then make them ours;).
David

That was the weirdest thing to me David..... that easy chair position... (I came the sportbike/dual purpose route).... Now for my balky knees, I love not having to fold my knees back under me like I used to, but the arms were like I was hanging on to a ski rope........ really tiring.

I bought that "superbike" bar, and at about 40 mph I was balanced pretty good with the wind holding me up and not getting blown back. I really would like that to happen at 50 mph which I hope these do.... now if this doesn't work, I may go the the over the head apes like EC wants me to try...... :D

Plus....we all gotta add our bling..... handlebars are my bling.... ;)

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 29 Posts