CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally took delivery of my new 2018 pearl brown stallion DCT goldwing. It was a leftover model from a dealer several hours away. Couldn’t pass up the incredible deal. Now that I’ve got some seat time my obvservations are as follows. The seat height is a tad taller than the ctx mainly because the seat is wider. My feet still plant the ground but not as secure as the ctx. The wing is about 250 heavier. Even with the weight honestly it is so well balanced that it isn’t an issue for me. All the gadgets and gizmos and technology is insane on the wing. Cornering and turns the wing takes them like being on rails. So smooth and controllable. Straight line riding the wing doesn’t wander at all like my ctx would. The acceleration of the wing is insane. But at lower speeds when coming off a stop at a stop sign etc, the throttle on the wing is so sensitive that you can really get your self into trouble if your not careful. Just a slight blip and this bike lunges. Even in the lower modes like economy and rain mode when it de tunes the throttle it sill is touchy. All in all it’s a dream come true bike for me. Has everything I could ever want, the price was right, and I can go anywhere no matter the distance and feel comfortable.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Congratulations! There are many who say that this is the finest touring motorcycle that has ever been developed. I tend to agree. Not sure if I am going to eventually replace the VFR with this or go the other direction and go smaller. In any case, I'd love to continue to hear about your experience with the bike. Enjoy it and ride safe!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What turned me on the most about the new wings besides the DCT transmission is the size. Side by side to the previous generation wings the 2018+ are much smaller in size. Much narrower when you compare the fairings and the shelters of the two bikes. It’s really not a whole lot wider than the faring model of the CTX. Honda made this bike more sporty than touring. The size, looks, and styling I think they geared it forwards the younger generation of rider. With me being only 38 years old it sure caught my attention. I like the bagger look much more than the touring model with the rear trunk. My wife has no intentions of riding so it was no need to invest the extra cash on the touring model. But if down the road she does, Honda has made these new wings easily able to install the rear box as an accessory which is a nice touch. Have you ever had that feeling in an elevator when your feel weightless and your stomach hits you in the face with a touch of nausea? If so that’s the feeling I got the first time I went 3/4 throttle in the sport mode. The acceleration is so intense that the G forces had me feeling light headed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice looking bike. I've considered but I still like the size of the CTX700. BTW, do you have a wooden garage floor?

12x24 utility shed with double doors on the end with ramp. Keep the bikes in there during the winter and under my open garage in the warmer months with a cover Over them

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Congratulations. That is one sweet ride.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
If I wasn't built like a cross between Yoda, Papa Smurf, and a Keebler elf, I'd go for one myself.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
850lbs, 350lbs heavier than the CTX700.

Beautiful bike, but very expensive and very bad fuel economy. A whopping 35mpg on a 20k bike~

Congrats on the beast.
Thanks. Side by side to the previous generation goldwing this one is way smaller. You would have to see them side by side in person to appreciate the new styling.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Sounds like you are really enjoying it.>:)

I'd be interested in your feelings about how it performs low speed maneuvers, given your comments about the throttle sensitivity. I know I had to re-learn slow speed with my CTX700 DCT, given I had to learn how to turn the handlebars without rotating the throttle. Took some time, but it's ok now.;)

Enjoy it and ride safe.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1st gear on the dct has a bit of a stall. There are 4 modes of performance you can select. The default mode is touring mode. But I have been using eco just to get used to the bike. Sport mode is a whole new animal. The exhaust tone changes to a much throatier tone in sport mode as well. Low speed maneuvering takes more English so to speak because of the heavier weight of the bike. It will take me several hours and miles of low speed turing to really get the hang of it. Like trying to do a U turn in the width of 2 parking spaces as an example. The bike does have a walking mode which is 1.5 mph. you press the + button to go forward and the - button to go reverse. It’s a real handy feature.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sweet! In all the (understandable) excitement, have you checked the idle speed? My CTX became much easier to control after a dealer set the idle to spec (1200 rpm) at the 600 mile service.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It’s a goldwing thing from reading the goldwing forums. For 2020 they supposedly did some fuel mapping and software change to help with the slow speed sensitivity. The motor has so much power.

·
Registered
248 Posts
850lbs, 350lbs heavier than the CTX700.

Beautiful bike, but very expensive and very bad fuel economy. A whopping 35mpg on a 20k bike~

Congrats on the beast.
Mileage is being reported to be in line with Honda's estimated 42 MPG. Some are getting 60 on back roads according to the GL 1800 forum (I have to imagine that this is in 7th on a DCT). Fuelly puts it at about 45 on the tour DCT. There are some that have reported getting 35 on manual models. Not trying to be contrary, just that in my mind this is my dream bike (down to the stallion brown) and I follow it heavily.

As an aside, I think that DBmachine will confirm, this bike without exaggeration rides like a luxury car and handles like a sportbike (almost...just shy). It is almost a little disconcerting for the first 40 or 50 miles until you get used to it. So stinking smooth. A used one popped up in Deland Florida yesterday (Stallion brown, 6k miles). I am going up to Gainesville on Friday. I just may be coming back with it. Only live once!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Mileage is being reported to be in line with Honda's estimated 42 MPG. Some are getting 60 on back roads according to the GL 1800 forum (I have to imagine that this is in 7th on a DCT). Fuelly puts it at about 45 on the tour DCT. There are some that have reported getting 35 on manual models. Not trying to be contrary, just that in my mind this is my dream bike (down to the stallion brown) and I follow it heavily.

As an aside, I think that DBmachine will confirm, this bike without exaggeration rides like a luxury car and handles like a sportbike (almost...just shy). It is almost a little disconcerting for the first 40 or 50 miles until you get used to it. So stinking smooth. A used one popped up in Deland Florida yesterday (Stallion brown, 6k miles). I am going up to Gainesville on Friday. I just may be coming back with it. Only live once!
This is all true, and it is a beautiful bike, and the best tourer if you are into that, and don’t mind the weight. What is not true, by far, is the sports bike handling. “Just shy of” and the reviews stating “sports bike handling” is an exaggerated way to say it handles great for its weight and size. It is nowhere near sportsbike handling, not by a mile. Just stating the impossibility due to physics. >:)

·
Registered
248 Posts
This is all true, and it is a beautiful bike, and the best tourer if you are into that, and don’t mind the weight. What is not true, by far, is the sports bike handling. “Just shy of” and the reviews stating “sports bike handling” is an exaggerated way to say it handles great for its weight and size. It is nowhere near sportsbike handling, not by a mile. Just stating the impossibility due to physics. >:)
Fair enough and you are right. I actually ride like an old man so I have that bias (probably exaggeration now that you really made me think about it) introduced into my equation. knee dragging track days scraping pegs are probably not the best use for this bike and it would not perform well! But I still love the heck out of that machine and the way it performs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ive been thinkinag about moving to the new wing as well. The new goldwing is definatly mroe bike than I want to pay for but I dont see any viable options between it and the ctx for me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shop around there are some dealers out there with leftover 18 models. I got mine for 16,500 and had to come back to Alabama and pay a little over 200$ in sales tax when getting the tag and title. MSRP is 25K$.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts