CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
one too many fast starts with the parking brake engaged has left it not working. anyone else done this? is it an easy replacement/fix? should i even care? really, it's not been super useful as i'm not in the habit of parking facing downhill (not that big a n00b), and i only engage it because the little kickstand STILL makes me nervous. thoughts?:confused:

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The CTX700 DCT is an electronic shift transmission. It always returns to neutral when the engine is off. The parking brake engages the rear brake so I have to assume you don't have any rear brakes as well. The bike will roll away from you even on the slightest of grades without it. I've found this to be true in parking lots and driveways. Get it fixed!

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
The kickstand locks in the forward position making it very safe. There should be an adjustment for the parking brake, either at the pull lever or on the cable near the caliper or both. I don't have one so I can't tell you where exactly. To me the parking brake is a joke anyway, I never once parked a bike in gear. If there happens to be much grade reposition the bike~

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm with Rebel on this one. Though I don't really have a horse in this race, as I have a manual shift CTX, I have always parkef my bikes in neutral, and never had a problem with any of them rolling away. If I didn't feel comfortable with where or how it was parked, I adjust it, till I do.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Leaving any vehicle in neutral without the parking brake set is just plain dangerous. Placing a bike in gear when parked is basic bike safety 101. It takes very little to get forward or rearward momentum going on a standard trans vehicle. A slight tap in the parking lot or even leaning on the vehicle could be enough to tip the scales if the vehicle is close to the rolling threshold. Visions of watching Castellon's bike rolling away into the distant sunset was not what I had in mind when I made my statement. It's possible but not probable. Having it roll 2 or 3 feet forward or backwards till it fell is very possible.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I tell you what. Kids don't try this at home. Lets perform a little experiment. Go to the back of your bike and lean backwards on it with your arms folded. Lets see how stable that tripod really is. Or better yet, you choose the side and execute the same position. Now having said that, PLEASE DONT TRY THIS. The kick stand does not create a stable tripod and the bike can easily fall or roll forward off the stand with only a minimum amount of force. Ask anyone who has a rear trunk and has accidentally kicked it while climbing aboard.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Your adding unnatural force, sure it will go down. Under normal forces of nature, it will not. It will still go down in gear too by just adding more force! One of my bikes was backed in once, in gear or not, it still would have! In fact I had less damage cause it wasn't in gear. Parking near minors or unresponsible people is also the riders responsibility and is also inline of what I said with parking wrong.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Okay. We could argue this all day but there's no point. Better to agree to disagree. Just for the sake of our inexperienced riders and new to motorcycle riders, motorcycle safety requires the bike to be in gear when parked or a parking brake to be engaged if one is provided. DOT requires all automatic motorcycles be provided with a parking brake. That's what its there for. I haven't checked yet but Texas now requires a vehicle inspection every year for motorcycles. I'll lay odds the parking brake will have to be functional to pass.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The brake is easy to fix and important to have operational. I am 70 years old and riding since I was 12. I always park my bike in gear. One of my good friends and also a rider and racer for many years dropped his vstrom in his own garage because he forgot to put it in gear. Enough said. why not play it safe. The brake cable can be adjusted near the brake handle. There is also an adjustment at the rear wheel. Can someone post the page from the shop manual?
Dave

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rear brake works fine. there's no tension on the parking brake lever when i pull it, so i assume there's some manual adjustment i can make?

to be clear, the rear brake works perfectly. however, when i pull the parking brake now, i feel no resistance and can roll it freely.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
rear brake works fine. there's no tension on the parking brake lever when i pull it, so i assume there's some manual adjustment i can make?

to be clear, the rear brake works perfectly. however, when i pull the parking brake now, i feel no resistance and can roll it freely.

good to know only half is not working. The handbrake is a cable attaches to an arm on the rear caliper. There is a lock nut and a screw that turns inward to adjust it. The principle is easy. The front lever is moved which pulls on the cable which rotates the arm which as it turns on a screw thread sleeve forces the brake pads up against the disk. I suspect the pads got worn down prematurely if left on and the hydraulic action simply allowed the pistons to move more toward the brake disc. The parking lever is mechanical and can not adjust like brake fluid (which you should check).

see page 19-22 of service manual if you have one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is not dangerous unless you park wrong. The bike becomes a locked/parked tripod, a very stable platform. It would have to be pushed hard to knock it off the stand.
I tend to agree with your statement ... however it takes only one stupid teenager with no judgement trying to show off to his friends to mount your bike and drop it. Or worse, some little kids is playing/roughhousing near your bike and falls into it ... the extra teeny bit of stability of an 'in-gear' bike MIGHT make a difference.

I know, I know - chance in a million of that happening, but I really don't see leaving it in gear as being extra work. I think it is safer to do it. Not MUCH safer, but as I said, it only takes once - regrets are the gift that keep on giving.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
my 2 cents. I have a manual version but I believe the handbrake is there for a good reason and should be used as designed to be used. I don't have a handbrake. When away from the garage, my bikes are 100 percent left in gear when parked. It adds to stability and since it is usually still warm when I get back on it I don't have to put it in first and simply let the cutch out and go. Leaving it in gear hurts nothing. Modern bikes have interlocks so motor will not start with stand down and in gear or in gear without clutch pulled in (manual version only). Automatics get a warning light like a car. I look at the gage every time I start a bike to be sure all lights are out. This would prevent driving off if parking brake was working correctly.

In my garage I roll them around and so never leave them in gear. Can't imagine dropping one in a level garage if not left in gear unless it is pushed for some reason.

so we all pretty much agree to keep the parking brake adjusted and functional and that most riders leave bike in gear when parked. To each their own.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you have aDCT use the parking brake all the time. You will develope a good habit. The adjustment is on the cable by the handle bar. I adjusted mine after putting on up&backs. You want to adjust it so it will hold the bike on a slight incline but not so tight that it takes both hands to release. If you have one you know what I mean.

·
Registered
329 Posts
we ALLLL know WHY that bike got knocked over- a cager got revenge!!!

Your adding unnatural force, sure it will go down. Under normal forces of nature, it will not. It will still go down in gear too by just adding more force! One of my bikes was backed in once, in gear or not, it still would have! In fact I had less damage cause it wasn't in gear. Parking near minors or unresponsible people is also the riders responsibility and is also inline of what I said with parking wrong.

I have only had one bike fall over- my old PC800. ANOTHER motorcycle fell into my Pacific Coast whilst parked in gravel.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I rarely use the parking brake, but it is a good practice since DCT is indeed in neutral when off. I would take it to dealer since I don't think any of us have hit that one year barrier yet! We all got about what... another couple months before we hit the year old bike mark?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts