CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was riding around the other day and I noticed some noise coming from the chain. It only had 7K on it so I thought it just needed tightening, so I did. It got better but in a few days I heard it again.

At that point I thought I should just put on a new chain. I took it off and it didn't look too bad. Some minor sticking, but that's to be expected the way I ride, rain or shine. The sprockets were original with 32k on them. They still looked good, but had just a hint of deformation. Just to be sure I swapped them out.

That's when I found the real problem. I had broken my chain slider. It's part number 52170-MGS-D30. It was snapped in half and dangling down into the chain. A new one cost me $32.35 plus $14 in shipping. Ouch.

Shipping is delayed cuz covid. Normally I stock a bunch of parts, but didn't think this one would break. If you can, buy one before you need it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New part came in and I just installed it. It was a real SOB, despite it only being held on by two sheet metal screws. They look like self tapping screws that were just driven into holes. The bottom one is manageable, but the top one was very difficult. There just isn't a lot of room to get downward pressure. It's a philips head so even with a ratchet I was still slipping. I used some penetrating oil and a heat gun, no go. So then I had to bust out the torch. Eventually that worked but I was ready to pull the rear shock to get a better angle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts