CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
583 miles on the clock in just 36 hours. Got bike yesterday morn, rode all day.
Today rode it home from Iowa. 363 miles in just less than 7 hours. Kept it at 65/70 mph and took a few breaks for liquids and lunch. Meatloaf was great at the Hi Vee in Galesburg, Il.

5.7 gallons of gas. @ 64.82 mpg. Not bad for a brand new bike, just out of the box.

Comfortable ride. Some smoother than the wing I traded in. Wish I had had time to put Tall ws on it. Maybe tomorrow. Got all the accessory boxes in garage.

That brings the mileage ridden since Thursday to just under 900 miles. Not bad for a weekend.

Now I have to hit the Honda shop Tuesday for the filters for the 600 mile oil change. Will put regular Dino oil this time (I like rotalla ). Used it in all kinds of bikes for years. Get it reasonably priced ad the rural king or Wally by the gallon

Later bikers. Magister where do you put that hat while riding the bike? Haha.
Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I looked at a few of your other posts but did not see where you've told us which CTX you have. Is it a fairing model or naked?

Great mpg for the first few tanks at reasonable highway speeds and a few stops?

After I run through the half-tank of gas that came from the dealer, I'm going to start using pure gasoline and see what kind of mpg I'll be getting in stock form on a fairing model for my regular 29-mile, one-way commute, which is 45-65 mph and five traffic lights each way. I'm going to start logging my mpg and see what happens through and after break in and through seasonal changes. If I end up getting an after-market screen and/or top case, I can likewise see how that affects mpg.

Is Rotella considered a 4-stroke motorcycle oil? I totally trust using it due to what experienced owners have experienced riders on here have stated, but I got a life-time engine warranty on mine and have to be careful not to give the warranty company an opportunity to deny warranty down the road for a frivalous reason. According to my contract, I have to follow exactly what the owner's manual states; I have to keep receipts; and I have to increase the oil/filter change interval to 6K miles for the engine warranty to be honored. The manual states that it must be 4T motorcycle oil that is JASO-MA and must not be energy saving oil. I looked at Rotella's website, and the only approvals I see are for diesel engines, i.e API CJ-4, listed at their website and nothing about spark ignition (S) approvals. I'll go to Auto Zone or Walmart and look at the actual label to see if it meets the other specs listed in the manual but any input from others on here would be appreciated.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Sorry for the double post. My computer is acting up.

To Armdillo... That's great mpg for the first few tanks @ normal highway speeds and some starts; stops; and running around. I've looked at some of your posts, but I don't think I saw where you stated which "D" model that you have. Is it a naked or fairing model?

To everyone...After I run through the first half tank of gas that the dealer put in mine, I'm going to start tracking mpg using pure gasoline and making notes. It will be mostly a 29-mile, one-way, 45-65 mph commute through one town each way with five traffic lights. Since 95% of my miles will be this commute most of the time, it will be interesting to see what happens to mpg through and after break in, what happens when and if I get an after-market screen and/or top case; how the changing seasons affects mpg; and how mpg is affected if and when I take a road trip or if I include urban travel in a tank.

Interested in the Rotella oils, but I have to be careful. I got a life-time engine warranty with the purchase of mine, and the contract states that I have to follow the guidance of the manual exactly; I have to reduce the interval of oil/filter changes to 6K; and I have to keep all receipts. I totally trust the Rotella oil due to what experienced riders have posted on this site, but the manual states that I must use a 4T motorcycle oil that is 10W30 and that it must meet JASO-MA, and that it must not have "energy saving" or "energy conserving" on the API label. I looked at the Rotella website, and all I can see for approvals are compression-ignition, i.e. CJ-4. Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated by anyone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I calculated 68.2 mpg from my first tank, but was in auto the whole time. I'm currently testing the sport mode for a tankful to see what difference there might be in mileage.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gregsfc.
I would bet that rotella would not be on list. I just make sure the oil is not energy conserving. I think that is it.

Rarely take to dealer either. I will do the oil change at 600 and unless something is wrong
I can do most stuff. I keep the receipts
I did not get extended warranty. Normally, you will get a second chance just before it originally expires. I tend to trade bikes frequently. I have heard that dealers will write the extended warranty for you then too, at a discount.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
4T is the factor that I see. Rotella will not satisfy that. Valvoline and Mobile one are two that come to mind. I also think Castrol has a 4T, as does Motul.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Gregsfc.

Rarely take to dealer either. I will do the oil change at 600 and unless something is wrong
I can do most stuff. I keep the receipts

Thanks Armdillo

The part of the extended warranty that worries me (it was part of the fine print that I didn't see when I signed it) was that it included a life time engine warranty with a $50 deductible for any engine repair beyond the extended warranty period, which was included with my extended warranty but is a separate warranty contract. The engine warranty states that all engine service must be performed by the issuing dealer unless prior approval is obtained. I think that is crap, and I'm going to check in to it, because I don't let anyone change oil and filters in any of my vehicles, and I was planning on doing my valve clearance checks myself or letting someone local do it, as those valve clearance checks come up every 8K. The life time engine warranty also states that the oil and filter must be changed every 6K, which is more frequent than what the manual calls for; and it states that I must have it inspected by the issuing dealer every three years. I'm not so worried about the second and third requirement, but I don't like the idea of being forced to use the dealer for engine service. It may be that it is not so strict as indicated in the contract, but I'm going to be finding out.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I currently use the dino oil, Rotelle T in my 25 year old Super Maga V4 and used it in my 2004 v4 Inteceptor 800 with 11,500 rpms, and both of my Hawk 650 GT's with no problems. For the CTX at 600 miles I went with the synthetic Rotella T6.

Label; Meets API SERVICE CJ-4, CI-4PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4/SM
ALSO under the above it has "meets the performance requirements of JASO DH-2
and JASO MA"

The circle symbol does not have anything about energy conservation so clutch is good.

so buy what you want but don't think that Rotella will not work in your bike because lots of riders use it. I see Rotella on almost every forum.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Rotella does have a 4t oil. Some friends split cases from wally world to use in all our 4t motorcycles and scooters, seems to be fine.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Drove trucks for 35 years, Shell Rotella and Chevron Delo are made for Diesel engines. Stick with what your owners manual calls for and you'll be fine. Why do you think Honda has a reputation for being bullet proof. Ride Safe.

Reactions: mario
1 - 11 of 11 Posts