CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I recently relocated to the UK and discovered that my brights are no longer working. The regular headlight still works fine but I'd really feel better if I could get the brights back online. I've looked inside the headlight area from the handlebar side without removing any of the tupperware (faired bike) but I didn't see anything obvious like a disconnected wire (at least not one I could find a corresponding plug for). I also checked all of the fuses and those appear to be in good order. Have any of you had to work on the brights specifically, or would have an idea for where to concentrate my troubleshooting?

·
Registered
381 Posts
High beam filament burned out?

·
Registered
838 Posts
You probably have a burned out filament. I run on high bream all the time and have to replace one every year. Easiest way to find out is to pull the bulb. It can be accessed from the front above the wheel. If you take flashlight and look down from the top and pay attention to how it is held in place you can reach up under the front cowl and let your fingers be your eyes. First time it will maybe take a bit of time but once you figure it out it is a five minute job. Hope this helps. You have to pull the rubber boot of and you will see a spring running across the back of the bulb. Press it to release it and it swings to the side. Then just pull the bulb out. Make sure when you put the new one in that you put it in your hand so the tabs line up. Do not touch the glass part of the bulb. I use surgical gloves to do this.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks TIP. I run my high beams during the day almost every time I ride. It hadn't even occurred to me that it has a separate filament that could burn out. I was kind of scratching my head when TLeventry mentioned the filament burning out. I was expecting some super secret recessed LEDs or something. I think the solution to this will be to find an LED replacement before I mess with the bulb. I also hadn't even thought about what might happen if I touched the glass, thanks for the reminder!!!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I posted this is the absolutly wrong spot. If a mod wouldn't mind moving the thread or deleting it, I'd appreciate it! 🤦*♂

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Thanks TIP. I run my high beams during the day almost every time I ride. It hadn't even occurred to me that it has a separate filament that could burn out. I was kind of scratching my head when TLeventry mentioned the filament burning out. I was expecting some super secret recessed LEDs or something. I think the solution to this will be to find an LED replacement before I mess with the bulb. I also hadn't even thought about what might happen if I touched the glass, thanks for the reminder!!!
If you touch the bulb glass, nothing much will happen. But, the halogens get pretty hot and the oil residue from your fingers lead to a shorter lifespan. Sometimes. But yeah, I'd recommend an led. You'll be happier in the long run. I'm running the opt7 right now but I heard the nitize, night eyes are better.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Question about installing LED headlights. Do you have to modify the spring retainer that holds the OEM bulb in and can it be installed without taking plastics off? Looking at the picture it would seem to me that it might be tough to install and get the retaining ring back on with the limited space for your hands.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Question about installing LED headlights. Do you have to modify the spring retainer that holds the OEM bulb in and can it be installed without taking plastics off? Looking at the picture it would seem to me that it might be tough to install and get the retaining ring back on with the limited space for your hands.
No modification needed on the ones I installed. If I remember correctly, there was an adapter ring for the spring retainer to clip onto. Then the heatsink/bulb could be inserted and given a twist to lock into place. If I tried to install it all as one assembly, the spring clip would get stuck on the heat sink. You should be able to go in from underneath and feel your way through the install. I had the bike apart for painting so I had tons of room.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts