CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Allen here.

I don't actually own a CTX, but then few of us do at this point. However, I am salivating like Pavlov's dog for one. :)

My biking history? Almost nil. I had a brief infatuation with the ND-01, but she was gone before I had a chance to see one in person, much less ride one. I purchased 2 CF Moto CVT V3s, one for me and one for my wife. I liked it for about two seconds until I realized that it struggled to reach even 50 MpH. Its boasted cc equivalent rating of 250 was a joke as it never had anything near that much power. Now I'm stuck with two virtually useless bikes because they have no power and no one wants them, even though mine has a total of 34 miles on it ...that's right, 34 miles and no one wants it.

So now, I'm falling hard for the full faring CTX700D. No, I don't want one; I NEED one, like I need bloody air to breathe. :) People say the bike is ugly, that it looks like two many different bikes put together. I say she's beautiful. Of course I wish I could get it in a color other than red, but I guess I'll just have to suck it up. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I assume that little machine is Chinese and may just be a bit on the tight side. If you can't even give it away, then you should persevere. I've had several bikes (admittedly of higher pedigree) which have taken over 10,000km to start to give of their best. Perhaps the initial service overlooked some minor item. That's worth checking out.
I've forgotten the web site, but try googling "Break-in secrets" for a bit more help

·
Registered
892 Posts
Welcome to the forum Allen. Try posting the Motos for sale at some of the colleges. Students use them for transportation often.
Good luck, and the CTX will be a much different bike for you.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I share your dilemma. I'm frustrated over two, simultaneous phenomena at once: wanting and waiting on the CTX700 that was promised by Honda in the Spring and trying, unsuccessfully, to sale my current ride. I've got a 2013 Piaggio BV350 scooter for sale @ $1100 below the new MSRP on a scooter that's only one year old with a couple of add-on accessories. I've had it up for sale for a month in anticipation of the new CTX700, which I was expecting to already be at dealers.

I had previously used the scooter for a daily work commute. I would add almost 300 miles per week on the odometer. I've quit riding it to work as to stop adding to the miles and now I get it out a couple of times per week just to keep it in good shape, so basically, I'm not riding at all this Spring, and now, it's looking like I'll miss most of the Summer riding season.

It's looking more and more likely I'll be having to trade in the scooter at a huge loss. And, as I wait for the new bike, my scooter gets more and more like an older model simply because I've not been able to sell it and the calender keeps rolling along. I hate having the scooter around, because I'm not using it for what I want a ride for, and I can't stand having an extra vehicle around the house that is not in use.

I've already pissed off one dealer that claims to be the lowest-priced dealer by a long shot. I pissed them off because they had previously told me to tune in to their FB page, and that they would announce all new inventory shipments, and, the other day, I asked again if they had any word on the CTX700N, because I had not seen one post on the page about any new inventory, and other dealers around have had them for nearly three weeks. They answered my inquiry with an answer; three CTX700Ns being shipped July 8. I'm interested in the fairing model, but I wanted an idea of how far behind they are compared to the other dealers on the N model, as I don't know how long I would trade a better deal over waiting. If they are this far behind on the fairing model, I'd have to wait an extra five weeks and not be riding until September. That's unacceptable, but on the other hand, they are only one of two dealers in the area that will take my scooter in on a trade.

All of this is driving me crazy.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
If you know they will low ball you on the trade, have you come down to that number maybe plus 100.00 when trying to sell. Any college towns close by with a Craig's listing available? If that gets no offers from anyone then dealer gets it cheap and will hope to sell it at a profit. Some dealers in my area don't stock any scooters because the market is very soft for them. Dirt bikes and quads are big in my area. My VFR was worth 3500 but traded it at 2900. It was due for a 500.00 valve service and 93.00 license, and soon a new rear tire 200 so basically I got think I got 3693 in trade.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you know they will low ball you on the trade, have you come down to that number maybe plus 100.00 when trying to sell. Any college towns close by with a Craig's listing available? If that gets no offers from anyone then dealer gets it cheap and will hope to sell it at a profit. Some dealers in my area don't stock any scooters because the market is very soft for them. Dirt bikes and quads are big in my area. My VFR was worth 3500 but traded it at 2900. It was due for a 500.00 valve service and 93.00 license, and soon a new rear tire 200 so basically I got think I got 3693 in trade.
Yes; you've hit on it Bill. Most of the Honda dealers won't take the scooter in on a trade; only two will, one of them is actually a Piaggio dealer but that same dealer is known for adding a lot of fees to a new bike sale. The second one is one of those mega stores. It's in Chattanooga. They claim they are number one in sales in the entire U.S. They sale for a couple hundred under MSRP. I don't know what either will give me on the scoot, and I can't find out (or so they say) until they have pricing information on the CTX700; therefore, I hate to go too low on the scooter in a private sale until I can take it in to the two dealers who will deal and see what they will do. The problem with that is, these dealers are saying that if I don't put down a deposit soon, I probably won't get one for a long time, because, at least with respect to the "N" model, they've not had one yet that wasn't already reserved. I'm not sure if this is pressure talk or not, but I sure don't want to delay this thing a whole lot longer than I have to, but at the same time, I don't want to just to commit to a bike from one of them and then let them choose what they want to give me for the scooter if I've still got it when the bike comes in. Once these guys get pricing, and I get my scooter in to them and get trade value, I'll feel a lot better about what I'm trying to do. I've got mine up for $4200. Used ones are selling at dealerships for $5000 when they have them. Mine has more miles on it than any I've seen. Mine has a couple of accessories, but that probably doesn't help my cause much.

Speaking of Craigslist. Do I need to list the scooter in each market that I want it to be seen in? Does Craigslist allow that?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Craig's list does have limitations but are easy to get around.

Change up the Headings and the description between markets. Use a different price until accepted, then change it to match or put in more description. Some people will flag adds out of the area and there is not much you can do about that. xyz Scooter - Must see is different then Look at my xyz scooter- clean -priced right

I have also put 30 pictures to photobucket and put the link in my ad which has helped.

·
Registered
178 Posts
saw two ctx at thompsons honda in terre haute today. they have the fairing model in white. manual tranny. none of the auto ones yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Allen! I'm not sure who the "people" are that are saying that the CTX is ugly (I read that in more than a few reviews I perused...) but everyone who has seen my Black CTX700N say it's a great looking bike. It's also amusing to me to see other riders nearly turning their heads 180 degrees too look at my bike while passing it in a parking lot or on the highway (it's happened a lot!) I love my CTX, and as far as I'm concerned, buying it has been the best decision I've made in a long time. If there's any way you can possibly swing it BUY ONE! You wont regret it! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts