CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to get to the rear brake light wires? I purchased a top case that's wired for a brake light, but we can't seem to get to the wires (can't get the top panel to pop-off - seems to be permanently attached after the bolts and seat were removed). I'll upload a pic of what I'm talking about in my gallery since I'm not savvy enough to figure out the hyperlink! :confused:

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Bump. I am stuck in the same spot. Service manual has not arrived.

I already cracked :eek: the top plastic piece, don't want to do more damage.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Jin, how about tapping into the wires under the seat or near the fuse panel. Save taking off back cover. Lots of room there for a few wires on the side.

I am getting a set of hyper lights and a rear trunk too, was wondering where to tap into same wires and came up with that idea. Mike

Especially like you I have the backrest stuff there

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
What a PITA to get the panels off and I've worked on both Burgmans.
All of this just to hook up three wires, whew!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can get hubby to tear into it again!
Now let's see....to remove side panels, engine and front wheel needs to be removed! (Joke!)

·
Banned
463 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can get hubby to tear into it again!
Now let's see....to remove side panels, engine and front wheel needs to be removed! (Joke!)
You are right abouit all the things that have to be removed. Just try putting in the electrical harnesses per the book.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I just bought my CTX 700 this week (picked it up Thursday). I had already ordered the Bestem red topcase. I've been studying how to mount it and getting everything ready to go for today (Saturday). Mounting wasn't the problem, but like mentioned here, attaching the lights to the brake circuit stumped me. I didn't want to tear EVERYTHING off that the manual said I needed to, but I discovered you don't have to. The plug that attaches the turn/brake light is just under the left side back side "fender", under the hand hold/saddlebag mount. So I took off the saddlebag mount and hand grip, and there it is right in front of you. (you don't have to take off the rear center cowling and the rear fender completely. You can access the plug wires easily. You want the solid green (ground), and the green/yellow (hot when the brakes are applied). I spliced right into them and presto...brake lights. I am out of time tonight, but I'll try and post pics later. I was surprised how easy this was

·
Registered
10 Posts
wiring up the Bestem Top Case 2012

Got to the pics after all. Hope they load up OK. I think they are pretty self-explanatory. Haven't figured out how to add captions yet. Yeah, I know, I actually wired the case wires backwards (put the blue on the solid green, and the other on the green/yellow); no problem, just reverse them up at the box connection.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes, just the left side, the center cowl can stay. Just 3 bolts, 3 clips, and a gentle back/lift/back with the side cowl and there you are.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
yes, just the left side, the center cowl can stay. Just 3 bolts, 3 clips, and a gentle back/lift/back with the side cowl and there you are.
Great write up. I'll be doing the same soon when my brackets and case arrive.
Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the great instructions and pictures! I'm told my bike will be here on Wednesday or Thursday this week, but I won't really have any free time to tinker with it for another month. But I'll be referring back to this page when I install my top box. Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
running lights..

Really like the pictures and the walk through. I'm going to try to do it on my bike this weekend. It will give me an excuse to take the case back off and paint the brackets with the black plastic.

Do I need to do anything special to get the running lights going for my case? I think the Bestem 929 comes with running lights.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Really like the pictures and the walk through. I'm going to try to do it on my bike this weekend. It will give me an excuse to take the case back off and paint the brackets with the black plastic.

Do I need to do anything special to get the running lights going for my case? I think the Bestem 929 comes with running lights.
The Bestem 929 comes standard with the brake light but the running light are extra. Unless you ordered the box with them, then you probably don't have them. You can buy them separately or you can just wire in some red 1210 LED strips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks, I did order the one with brake and running lights. I went and picked up the pieces to do the electrical. I'm thinking maybe the other wires in the connector are the running lights. I'll keep reading :)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts