·
Banned
463 Posts
I give up.
WHY?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
don't you mean the front brake master cylinder or will it be the rear master cylinder. The caliper is on the lower front fork leg or the rear swing arm.

you could mount an extra master cylinder on the left and plumb it into the front or rear line with a T fitting. Then you could use both. Just get a left hand fluid clutch master cylinder like a lot of bikes have on the left bar.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
don't you mean the front brake master cylinder or will it be the rear master cylinder. The caliper is on the lower front fork leg or the rear swing arm.

you could mount an extra master cylinder on the left and plumb it into the front or rear line with a T fitting. Then you could use both. Just get a left hand fluid clutch master cylinder like a lot of bikes have on the left bar.
Sorry, I meant to say "brake lever".

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Thomphoto, hang in there and search some Japanese sites. I have talked with some mechanics and it is doable but have not pursued it. I also scoot and have had a Burg 650.
I am trying to make up my mind about this switchover. In the twisties I usually use the paddle shifters. So if I switch to a rear brake on the left lever will my left hand be too busy (my timing is slowing down .lol..) shifting and possibly braking. Using the foot brake seperates these functions. Also my hands are on the small side and Honda did not place an adjustable brake lever on the right side (no problem tho).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am just trying to get all the info I can before I decide to swap my Burgie for the ctx. So far, the ctx is the only bike I would consider trading for. I will probably wait until after the first of the year to do anything. I definitely do not want anything manual shift at my age (76).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thomphoto, hang in there and search some Japanese sites. I have talked with some mechanics and it is doable but have not pursued it. I also scoot and have had a Burg 650.
I am trying to make up my mind about this switchover. In the twisties I usually use the paddle shifters. So if I switch to a rear brake on the left lever will my left hand be too busy (my timing is slowing down .lol..) shifting and possibly braking. Using the foot brake seperates these functions. Also my hands are on the small side and Honda did not place an adjustable brake lever on the right side (no problem tho).
I thought I saw a thread on here where someone had figured out a way to adjust the brake pedal.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can NOT have two master cylinders feeding one caliper. There is a parking brake cable type caliper already there. I would not use it as a rear service brake. The CTX has an excellent braking system and I would not mess with it.
Unlearning scooter habits will be cheaper, easier, and safer. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can NOT have two master cylinders feeding one caliper. There is a parking brake cable type caliper already there. I would not use it as a rear service brake. The CTX has an excellent braking system and I would not mess with it.
Unlearning scooter habits will be cheaper, easier, and safer. Just my 2cents
Probably good advice, thanks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just came off of riding a Silverwing for 7+ years, so I understand where you are coming from. I am getting used to the foot brake, it is not as akward as I'd thought it would be to relearn. Now it is becoming normal for me, and I've only had it since Friday. I'm sure you will acclimate to the footbrake just fine. I agree with above. It would not be worth the hassle and expense.

·
Banned
463 Posts
I am just trying to get all the info I can before I decide to swap my Burgie for the ctx. So far, the ctx is the only bike I would consider trading for. I will probably wait until after the first of the year to do anything. I definitely do not want anything manual shift at my age (76).
Different stokes, etc.......

I'm 76 but have ridden a DCT.....don't want one.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I made the switch from my Kymco Xciting 500 Ri to my CTX a few months ago. Within a day, the "left hand brake is not there" idea/feeling was completely gone. My left hand enjoys the paddle shifters [when I need them], otherwise, I am covering the horn or engaging/disengaging the turn signals. My left hand is happy. My right foot LOVES the brake, and I love the solid feeling of control on this bike. You will be amazed...
And I am 68, BTW.

Ride Safe, Ride Often.
f

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm like many other previous and current scooter owners who have a background with only bicycles and scooters. I got alot of flack for mentioning this on a scooter forum from some folks with lots of history with bikes, but for folks who have grown up and have learned how to ride two wheel transportation from bicycles and scooters only, it is very, very unnatural to be stopping or slowing and/or holding oneself in place with only the right side of one's body, and I really, really miss two hand brakes. The rear brake pedal with the right foot has been one of the hardest things to get used to. I would stop on a hill and put both feet on the ground. On the scooter, I would hold myself in place with one or both brakes, and when the light turn green or it was clear, I would simply remove my right hand from the brake while holding the rear brake and roll out. But overcoming this habit on a bike has been tough. I would find myself sitting there with my right foot on the pavement and not being ready to move out. I would then realize that I've got to lift my right foot off the pavement and get it on the foot brake, because I couldn't hold myself with the front brake and roll on the throttle at the same time. This meant that I had to shift the weight of my body so that only my left foot was firmly on the pavement; then lift my right foot and put it on the rear brake; then release the front brake; and now I was ready to roll out, except that now the light was yellow again.

To long-time bikers this is no big deal, but if you're used two hand brakes since the time you were six, it is a lot different animal handling this element of a motorcycle.

I also miss and want dual hand brakes, but then I'd have to put a clutch somewhere. I'll just have to ride until it's second nature.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This meant that I had to shift the weight of my body so that only my left foot was firmly on the pavement; then lift my right foot and put it on the rear brake; then release the front brake; and now I was ready to roll out, except that now the light was yellow again.
LOL!

Yeah, to get going when stopped on an up-hill is one of the more difficult maneuvers to master. You'll get a hang of it eventually, but it does take some time and practice. Sometimes I don't even use the foot brake. I just give it plenty of gas and release the clutch more quickly, but again, it takes practice to do it quickly to prevent roll back and to not do it so hastily that you stall.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Aren't we talking about a DCT here. Just release the front brake (right hand) as you roll on the throttle. I don't recall any rollback and it has never stalled on a launch no matter how aggresive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts