CTX 700 Forum banner

Brake change

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  JohnJS 
#1 ·
I am changing my brakes for the 1st time on my 2018 CTX700DCT. I first changed to aftermarket brake pads but they were way too tight. Someone suggested I use OEM so I just changed the pads to the new OEM pads I got. They are still super tight and binding the rotor. Is this normal? Am I installing them incorrectly?

#2 ·
If you raise the wheel can you spin the wheel by hand with no problem. Need to know more about how tight they are on the disk. If you have trouble turning the wheel that is not good. They will always look tight. Did you try riding it a short distance and did it coast. If you ride it a short distance without applying brakes do the disks get hot to the touch.

#3 ·
I would say: do not ride if unsure of brake function and/or installation. I believe that brake pads may always make very slight rotor contact. Releasing the brake (hydraulic pressure) will allow the pads to retract a fraction by the rotation of the rotor. Correct wheel & brake parts installation are critical.

#4 ·
Use the link below provided by forum member Danny W Burdick to download the service manual. See page 19-6 for the list under “brake drags” The wheel may be misaligned. On page 17-17&18 to install the front wheel It says to tighten the front axle then “With the front brake applied, pump the forks up and down several times to seat the axle and check brake operation. Tighten the front axle pinch bolt to the specified torque”. “Another reason could be “Caliper not sliding properly”. Page 19-17 shows the lubrication points on the caliper. The caliper and brake pad pins should be lubricated with silicon grease. Hope this helps.
http://www.greenknights36.com/html/files/Pictures/Temp/ServiceManual.pdf

#6 ·
One issue is when you push the pistons back in, if they are dirty (which is very likely) the seals will stick to the dirt and fail to release. You might consider rebuilding the caliper, clean the pistons and add new seals. I run EBC HH pads on all my bikes, I like the feel and better stopping distance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.