CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and about to pull the trigger on the CTX700. A few points…

1. I live in Chicago and spend a lot of time on Lakeshore drive in traffic so the ABS DCT version is the model I am interested in.

2. I LOVE the all black color scheme.

3. I was planning on getting the Fairing model (Which does not come in black)

How does the fairing model handle in high cross winds compared to the non?

Currently riding a 125cc Scooter and for the first time had significant cross winds and was blown around a bit. I grew up riding Hondas (Z50 and XR80's in another life). I was comfortable and handled the winds fine but it made me curious how different the Faring vs non-Fairing would handle. I do plan on longer rides and trips but my daily ride is essentially a commute.

Any insight would be helpful.

By the way I love the forum and all the dialogue has been very helpful.

·
Registered
842 Posts
chip

Anything which catches the wind like a sail will get buffeted. The fairing is supposed to slip the wind...but I dunno. My naked black DCT rarely gets wind buffeting; passing trucks at 75 mph will do it [probably no matter what you ride...]

Welcome to the Forum, and enjoy the CTX.

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Effem,
That helps. The Fairing or non fairing is my only lingering self doubt. Never ridden with one and trying to figure out the trade-offs between the two. Does it really provide that much more comfort in longer rides, and then how does it affect the performance/handling in strong wind conditions?

Decisions Decisions. Either way, I know I will love it either way.

·
Banned
463 Posts
You get a lot more wind with the naked version than the faired one.
There is a lot of wind in areas of AZ and as you can see I have had a few bikes with large fairings.
I find then more comfortable than naked bikes.
I don't think crosswinds are a big issue.

Reactions: chiprussell

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now if I could just the varied one in black. Oh well, the red still looks great!

Love this forum. I will post and update once I get it home.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the fairing model and I don't get a lot of cross winds (unless it's a really high wind day).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I cant see how a fairing could help in cross wind situation. If anything there would be more surface for the wind to get a hold of. I would think weight of the bike and rider would have more to do with handling a side wind.

I cant talk CTX yet but I can say that I had two 150 cc scooters, a euro sport and a Honda PCX. The ES did not have a fairing and the PCX did. The pcx was much much more comfortable to ride in the wind then the ES was.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the fairing DCTABS. From my experience two up/single rider. You will get some buffeting on the hwy from trucks and cross winds. This is not a gold wing at 700+lbs. Low windshield or tall.
I have riden the Lakeshore, but the bike much smaller and slips the wind ok.
Will be better than the little scooter.

Meet ya at micki's. Some time. When it warms up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the 700n dct. It is a windy bike, but from the front, especially when the run speed gets up. I put a madstad screen on it and that made things much better. I have not noticed much impact from side winds with the screen or previously without.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
one thing you might think about when talking about side winds, is a fairing directs winds to follow a path down the side and or over the bike. These directed paths of air might be stronger (than naked models) to push the side winds away some and that would reduce their impact. Just an idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts