CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am excited :D I will pick up my new 2014 Honda CTX this Saturday. The dealer is ordering the saddle bags today and should have them installed by
Friday. Looks like the weather will be perfect for a nice ride home.:)

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Congrats! Naked or Faired? Color? Post a nice photo in the picture thread when you get it and have a chance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am buying the DCT fairing model candy apple red. I rode a Honda Reflex for 6 years. Moving up to a larger bike and engine will be a lot of fun. I will be riding mostly to and from work. But will always find a reason to ride somewhere.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Armdillo and CeeTeex I have been hanging out here for a few weeks looking at the various post and comments. I was at the Honda dealer in Pelham Alabama three weeks ago looking at a couple of different models. The sales rep. called when a
CTX with the faring came in. The feel and comfort of the CTX is amazing. I like the forward peg position.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
You should probably call sick for Monday's work. That way you get a longer weekend for riding.

I think you will be happy with the step up from the reflex and with 6 years riding in you should feel at home right away. Easy on the power. It corrupts absolutely.

Congrats and glad you like doing some reading on the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Billnorville you are tempting me :D I am off Monday September 2nd. I plan to
ride for a couple of hours. I will probably have a big grin on my face Saturday
when I bring the CTX home. It will be a 45 minute ride with a mix of ridding
through several towns and a stretch of highway. I am looking forward to feel
the add power I will have with a larger motor. I am curious to see difference
between the 250cc I had on the Reflex verses the 670 of the CTX.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I agree with Billnoroville: you're gonna need a decent break in period on that engine. :D

Took mine for a ride through some Utah canyons this past Sunday...5 hours disappeared before I knew it.

Be sure to post some pics.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Congrats Panama Jack!

Is anyone else like me? I can't really relax and fill comfortable going on trips, etc. until I get that first oil/filter change done. I've got a couple more hundred miles to go; get the service done plus the first chain maintenance, which will be my first attempt at this task, and then I can start enjoying my bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the break in period? This is my first new bike purchase so I want to get this right. I am thinking there is no do over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try to post pics this weekend Darth Emma. My sales rep. just called and told me my saddle bags have arrived. I managed to make his day because he said that the shop would not be able to install them today. I told him that it was not a problem. Was not going to pick up the bike until Saturday. I would rather wait a few more days than to have to go back for the install which would probability take 3 - 4 hours. :cool:

·
Registered
178 Posts
See if they have the filters (2 if you have the auto version) in stock and take them with you. That first 600 miles goes fast and u will not want to wait on dealer to change oil.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I paid just over 20$, for the two filters. I will use honda stuff while on warranty. Then after market. Talked to parts guru he suggested moving up a weight in oil cause it is pretty hot here in the summer. I agree. I have used Rowell t for years in lots of bikes, wings Valkyrie, etc. now if I can find an after market clutch filter. Next trip to Honda car dealer will check on civic filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was reading the owners manual. Looks like the only maintenance performed at 600 miles is an oil change. For $200.00 does the dealer perform any other maintenance?
So really all I need to do is change the oil which is not difficult.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I was reading the owners manual. Looks like the only maintenance performed at 600 miles is an oil change. For $200.00 does the dealer perform any other maintenance?
So really all I need to do is change the oil which is not difficult.

You could ask the dealer "How much just to do oil change" then ask what the 200 is buying above that. No other service is needed. Just inspecting some systems. Do brakes work, does throttle open and close, do all the lights work. Those little marks in the I which means inspect, clean and adjust if needed. Also the manual states your warranty is not voided if you do the work yourself and it is done correctly.

My dealer told me to go ahead an change my own oil as he knew me well enough to know I could do it. I bought Rotella T6 synthetic at Autozone and a Honda filter from Honda and did it myself. Hardest part is getting the old filter off because it is on there pretty tight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New CTX700D in the Garage

:D I just pulled my new Honda CTX700D into the garage. I rodea total of 38 miles from the dealership. This bike is amazing and rides like a dream. I was a little nervous for the first couple of miles. But my past experience riding a Honda Reflex easily translated into riding the CTX. A few observations that I found was the quick throttle response, the slight noise when the tranny goes through the gears, good front braking, and a comfortable seat. It will take a little time to get comfortable with the foot pegs although the forward controls is comfortable.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
:D I just pulled my new Honda CTX700D into the garage. I rodea total of 38 miles from the dealership.

congratulations on your new ride. 38 miles is a great start. Go easy as you will feel a few more differences as you get used to it. for one, The bigger tire diameter helps going over the chuckholes easier.

also, the foot controls have some adjustments that are possible should you want some changes there. See the how to section.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts