CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I’m NOT looking for a COM system and I want nothing attached to the outside of the helmet.

I just want to be able to connect to my iPhone, listen to turn by turn directions and music once in a while. That’s it.

I see only a few options on Amazon with mostly mixed reviews... What say you??

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
304 Posts
A big thing I look for is speaker thickness. The .27” has worked in all my helmets, anything thicker puts pressure on and hurts my ears.

The reason I like the set I linked is that the charging port is in the microphone head - you don’t have to pull out a separate cable like the second set that I only pictured.

That said, I think the linked set isn’t quite as loud as the other set. Loud enough for me, though.

Also, a corollary to helmet headsets: get good earplugs. I used to use some cheap ones (<$10 on Amazon) that purport to block 40db, and I believe them. They blocked out a ton of sound. But recently I purchased the NoNoise plugs from Revzilla (also available on Amazon for about the same price I think). They work better: they promise to block certain sounds while letting music and conversations through, and I think they mostly fulfill that promise. Wind and motor noises are quieter than my previous ear plugs, but on the highway I do still have to turn my speakers to max, usually. I’d recommend the $30 NoNoise over the $8 silicon plugs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, those look ok. I really don’t want or need a mic though. I don’t care about COMS. Just speakers..,

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
304 Posts
Ok, but you need some way to turn the speakers on, and last I checked sparkling personality just doesn’t do it. The on/off and volume/track controls are there, and just in case someone calls, there’s the mic too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, but you need some way to turn the speakers on, and last I checked sparkling personality just doesn’t do it. The on/off and volume/track controls are there, and just in case someone calls, there’s the mic too.
Thank you, good point. I am pretty darned sparkly though...

·
Registered
2020 HD Low Rider S
18 Posts
Okay, that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Kudos!

·
Registered
2020 HD Low Rider S
18 Posts
I know OP doesn't want/need a mic, but in these particular cases, they serve a purpose. The charging port for the speakers is in the mic boom. Trust me, as someone who's installed comms into multiple helmets, the last thing you want to do is be rooting around in there every time you need to charge. Without a solution that has an external plug place (dedicated placement on helmet) or connects via a 3.5mm jack, I don't know what someone might do. I'm sure this isn't the first nor the last that someone has had this issue, but I've never heard of anyone finding a solution.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First off, I’m NOT looking for a COM system and I want nothing attached to the outside of the helmet.

I just want to be able to connect to my iPhone, listen to turn by turn directions and music once in a while. That’s it.

I see only a few options on Amazon with mostly mixed reviews... What say you??
Hello - i purchased a really good helmet- it all came down to what my safety is worth!
I purchased a SHOEI - NEOTECH II helmet and SENA SRL comm system - it all integrates with the iPhone with Bluetooth connectivity I can listen to my turn by turn directions and music and in addition connect with other riders they have a SENA headset system. It all comes down to rider safety and comfort for me. Yes you will get other information but thats what makes these forms great to pull valuable information from other riders. - all purchased from Amazon too.

wwell.

·
Registered
2020 HD Low Rider S
18 Posts
I don't ever criticize other people's gear choices, but agreed @Hank66. A local helmet shop near me has a sign that reads "If you have a $50 head, buy a $50 helmet."

Here's my helmet, a Ruroc Atlas 2.0. It's designed so the Shockwave audio system integrates into the helmet lining in the back, so it's awesome. It wasn't cheap, but it's the best helmet I've ever tried/owned and I firmly believe that you can't put a price on your health.

The Shoei helmets I've tried on are awesome as well, definitely feel premium and worth the extra money.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Look for a used sena 20 on ebay, then upgrade the speakers to HD. The mic will let you voice command through siri or Google. Who knows, later you may just like the phone connection when the boss calls and you're riding....

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Oh.. forgot... it will also give you option to boost bass, make voices clearer, or apply equalization. It can also raise and lower the volume as your speed changes. and... there is a button to turn on ambient mic so you can hear people around you easier when without taking off the helmet. All the features a good MC music / GPS directions speaker should have. Should you choose, you can even share your music to other sena users... should they like your choice in music.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts