CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Really? Here's a direct quote from that article:

"MOTORCYCLISTS are 23% safer behind the wheel of a car than non-motorcyclists, according to a leading insurer.
Equity Red Star compared car drivers to car users who also have an insured motorcycle, and found the latter 23% less likely on average to make a claim on their car policy."

Less likely to make a claim does not equal more safe. It just means less likely to make a claim.

Do I think motorcyclists make better drivers? No. Being surrounded by metal, on 4 wheels, radio on, cellphone in hand, talking and eating a doughnut is a foolish behavior practiced by many; some of them are bikers, no doubt. But there is no way to prove the claim of either the journalist, or me. Its just filler...

Ride Often, Ride Safe,
f

·
Registered
6 Posts
Motorcyclists '23% better' behind the wheel of a car - Motorcycle news : General news - Visordown

This link details UK insurance data, documenting what we all knew was true ....:)
Um, isn't this just logical, though? It stands or reason that if you own another mode of transportation that you use at least part of the time (say 23% of the time) instead of a car, that your less likely to be involved in an incident?

I will say that, as a new rider, I find myself practicing many of the good riding habits I'm trying to develop even when I'm behind the wheel. But the less you use a car, the less chance there is to be involved in an accident in your car.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Now, if we can just convince some of the cagers to ditch their 5000 pound SUV's and go solo, since they are DRIVING that big fuel sucker alone!!!

Here in California, if I have to commute in a car and a motorcycle breezes through stopped traffic, my heart sinks and I start to shed a tear for fuel efficiency, and the ability to GET TO WORK QUICKLY AND EFFICIENTLY!!!

Reactions: gregsfc

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I don't cell or text while driving. My alertness while car driving has improved over the last eight years (commuting/recreation riding increased).

Am I safer? lol I got two speeding tickets on scooters (first ever on 2 wheels). lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe that being a motorcyclist makes you used to identifying potential traffic dangers futher in advance that if you have never ridden. Unless you are a careless motorcyclist of course. I think 23% sounds a little low actually. Not impossible to prove though, check the driving records of people who filed accident claims to see how many have their M certification. I wonder if anyone ever tried to do that in the US...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts