CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the Honda CTX700 become a huge seller since it seems so many people want one including me. Do you think Honda will have bigger displacement models in the near future? Maybe bigger touring models. Like a Goldwing with DCT.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If the Honda CTX700 become a huge seller since it seems so many people want one including me. Do you think Honda will have bigger displacement models in the near future? Maybe bigger touring models. Like a Goldwing with DCT.

I think most certainly there will be CTX models with higher displacements for the future, unless Honda decides to abandon the whole strategy.

According to Honda's own language with the introduction of the four CTX models they have just released, this is just the beginning, and we'll see a whole line of CTX models coming, and I feel that the CTX is sort of an Americanized styling type of line, so it will be in places like U.S., Canada, and wherever else American styling is popular with consumers. Of course I can't know for sure, but I think the 700 power train could be the least expensive of the models we'll see. They could add a few with the 700 (like a new Honda Shadow type that's shaft driven; ABS standard and higher level of standard features), but I'm not sure. And they could release a couple with the 470 cc engine. I would say certainly though, we'll see higher displacement models that will be priced aggressively low, because the pricing is part of the strategy to interest more folks to start riding, make the switch from scooters (like me), switch from other brands that aren't as fuel stingy, or to start riding again. Maybe a CTX1100 and even the bigger displacements are probable in my opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hoping the future is bright for the CTX series, would love to see many more Honda models with auto transmissions. Would love a full tourer in automatic. Maybe if the CTX models really take off more motorcycle companies will start manufacturing automatic motorcycles.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind...Each CTX model may have different styling cues and built for riders with different wants, but I think we'll see Honda keep pushing the DCT, and as for ABS, it's just a matter of time, and it will be pretty much a standard item on all motorcycles of all brands. Sort of like what has happened with fuel injection.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It is a possibility for the CTX series to broaden with higher displacement but it will depend on how the CTX700 does in the end. So depending on the sales and interest Honda will determine whether they will continue the series and possibly adding in different engine variations.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do think that the CTX700 would have a good balance from an inline four, there is enough torque to do most things we need. But seeing the interest of the type of consumers i think it would be wise just to stick with the 700ccs at the moment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do think that the CTX700 would have a good balance from an inline four, there is enough torque to do most things we need. But seeing the interest of the type of consumers i think it would be wise just to stick with the 700ccs at the moment.
I know what you mean I have been seeing a lot of Burman owners on here so we can just see what type of bike the CTX700. Its a good jump for new riders from scooters.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Alot of interest from Vespa/Piaggio/Aprilia owners who discuss things on Modern Vespa.com.

Of course there are scooter purists out there who wouldn't ride an MC for anything, but scooter owners and former scooter owners who choose a scooter due to their practicality features seem to be interested in the CTX700.

Same with MC purists. They're not going to look past the performance ratings and the not-so-extreme looks, but for those who choose MCs, or even cars for that matter, based on practical rationale, maybe they're giving this baby a look.

But like has been stated...Interest and sales are two different things. Honda needs this concept to turn into sales. I hope it will.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know what you mean I have been seeing a lot of Burman owners on here so we can just see what type of bike the CTX700. Its a good jump for new riders from scooters.
I'm one of those Burgman (400) riders, but I'm not new to motorcycles. I just hate the look of cruisers, and the riding position of sport bikes. When they first announced the CTX, I took one look at the photos, and proclaimed "It's like Honda read my mind."

I sat on my first CTX700N today, during lunch (standard tranny, in red). It fits me PERFECTLY, not just in size, but in personality/style. I will be signing a bill of sale, as soon as they get a black one in stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi DewaltDakota, agree with your comment

I'm one of those Burgman (400) riders, but I'm not new to motorcycles. I just hate the look of cruisers, and the riding position of sport bikes. When they first announced the CTX, I took one look at the photos, and proclaimed "It's like Honda read my mind."

I sat on my first CTX700N today, during lunch (standard tranny, in red). It fits me PERFECTLY, not just in size, but in personality/style. I will be signing a bill of sale, as soon as they get a black one in stock.
Hi CTX forum members from me (Greyshadow) in Australia, the CTX will not be released in Australia until half way through next year ie June2014 according to the Honda Dealer that services my Honda VT Shadow C2 which I purchased new in 2009. I really like my shadow but there is the appeal of the CTX it's a hybrid between and Cruiser and a Sports Tourer which really appeals it has the seating postion I like the upright back, low seat so you can place feet flat on the ground at traffic lights etc, legs and feet forward and the hand crips in that Cruiser position. It also fits my personality to as a rider I am ATGATT/High Vis etc I really like the digital guage, fairing, glovebox etc, don't like chain drive (wonder why not shaft drive) auto matic transmissioin nuetral to this feature, I am also hesitant as to it being a 700 (or is it a 6... rounded up to 700) My current bike is a 750 I would have preferred the same or a bit bigger a trade up not down say a 800-1000cc
Yes as DewaltDakota said: it's like Honda read my mind a cruiser/tourer hybrid; best of both worlds if it comes out in 800 to 1000 with Shaft drive I am sold.
Best Greyshadow:)

·
Registered
975 Posts
According to a translated Indonesian article that just came out today (July 3), Honda will be increasing the displacement of the NC series and Integra to 720 cc from 670 cc. Europe and Canada have the NC700X, NC700S, and Europe and Japan also have the Integra. Not sure about other markets in Asia and abroad. As of right now, the U.S. is the only market where the CTX is rolling out, so all summed up, the 670 cc is currently used in the NC700S, NC700X, Integra, CTX700N, and CTX700, the latter of which is still not available to consumers anywhere but will soon be on its way in the U.S.

The article goes on to state that the rumor mill does not know exactly when this will happen and if it will apply to the CTX line, but I think it would be odd if they kept the 670 around just for the CTX. The reasoning behind Honda's decision, from the best I can understand from the article, Honda wants to separate legal size class from the 500 cc bikes. Right now, both the 700 and the 500 are in the A2 class (legal class for rider's experience and / or age, which I know very little about, because it doesn't apply in Tennessee). If they increase the displacement to 720, it will pull these models out of that class where it is very crowded. I would expect slight performance increases; don't know how it would affect load capacity or mpg. As for me, I'm satisfied with 64 mpg (that is underestimated); 52 horsepower; and 44 peak foot lbs of torque available with the 670, but others on here might be interested to know that the rumors have it that Honda may slightly increase displacement and get rid of this 670 in the near future.

http://otomotif.kompas.com/read/2013/07/03/8882/Bidik.Eropa.Honda.Dongkrak.Mesin.NC700

·
Registered
975 Posts
To Greyshadow...

What is the actual displacement size of the Shadow 750? Just wandering about Honda's strategy. Are they going to replace the current 750 with this new 720? Or will they keep it, or will they replace it with a sub 800, and just use this 720 to replace the old 680 that was used in the NT700V. This is what I used to believe with respect to the 670 cc; that it was the replacement engine for the old 680, but, if the rumors are right, and it is going up to 720, then there is no telling what they are planning.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Really good deals on new Shadows right now here in the States. I think the traditional MSRPs are in the $9500 area, but quite a few configurations with quite different styling cues available for around $7800. Most of them are old dealer stock (2010-2012); one version has a higher seat and is chain driven and has a very small pillion space to sit on (I'll not even call it a seat); the rest are shaft drive and still have small pillion areas but not quite as bad. My wife loves them, especially the Phantom black version, which I think is the only one of the four that is not heavily discounted. I could probably go pick one out right now and come out about the same as the CTX, but the seats are just too low for my liking, except for the chain driven one; if I'm paying a price for a new bike, I'd rather have one that's not set in a showroom for two years; and I kind of prefer the more plain styling of the CTX and the 10 more mpg. For these reasons, I've decided to wait on the non-discounted CTX.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm getting between 72 and 75 mpg on my CTX700N, versus the 54-56 mpg I got on my 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2 ... a marked improvement.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm getting between 72 and 75 mpg on my CTX700N, versus the 54-56 mpg I got on my 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2 ... a marked improvement.
+1 for the 670 power train. It seems to far exceed estimates and it seems like it exceeds the 64 mpg estimate even when riders aren't trying to get good economy.

It seems like most other Honda models get realistic mpg somewhere close to what Honda estimates; same has been said about the new CB500s released by Honda. They are supposed to get 71 mpg highway. Most new riders of these vehicles who are paying attention to it are getting in the mid 60s in mixed riding and about 71 when they are on the highway riding conservatively. That's about what one would expect with an mpg rating, but the 670 cc returns better than estimated for most riders most of the time.

I don't expect that the fairing model will hurt mpg much, but a taller screen may affect it some.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I got up this morning to go for a ride. At 730am it was already 85degrees heading for 109. I looked at my gas gage and had 3 bars so headed out. I rode 87 miles and by 930 when I got home I still had 1 bar and no flashing fuel gage. it was alread 97degrees. What I am finding, is the gas mileage is plentiful enough that I don't worry too much about running out as I did on other bikes. I figure the 5 blocks on the fuel gage are about 40 miles each. The first one goes fast as I stop filling when the front bar in the filler opening is just covered. I could put more in it but choose not to. The gage seems to flash pretty fast when down to the last block on the gage but I know I still have a gallon of gas left so don't worry to much as I know where my nearest gas station is.

One reason the CTX gets good gas mileage is it has only one intake port and one exhaust port (each Y shaped ) for both cylinders. If it had dual intake and exhaust it would have more power but at the expense of MPG and the torque curve and HP ratings would probably be higher rpms too. I like the low in torque and how it pulls in the first 4 gears at very low rpms (like 2500).

·
Registered
975 Posts
I got up this morning to go for a ride. At 730am it was already 85degrees heading for 109. I looked at my gas gage and had 3 bars so headed out. I rode 87 miles and by 930 when I got home I still had 1 bar and no flashing fuel gage. it was alread 97degrees. What I am finding, is the gas mileage is plentiful enough that I don't worry too much about running out as I did on other bikes. I figure the 5 blocks on the fuel gage are about 40 miles each. The first one goes fast as I stop filling when the front bar in the filler opening is just covered. I could put more in it but choose not to. The gage seems to flash pretty fast when down to the last block on the gage but I know I still have a gallon of gas left so don't worry to much as I know where my nearest gas station is.

One reason the CTX gets good gas mileage is it has only one intake port and one exhaust port (each Y shaped ) for both cylinders. If it had dual intake and exhaust it would have more power but at the expense of MPG and the torque curve and HP ratings would probably be higher rpms too. I like the low in torque and how it pulls in the first 4 gears at very low rpms (like 2500).
Thanks Bill for sharing your experiences. I like the low torque to, and I don't even have a CTX yet, but I know I will, because I regularly drive a diesel car and that's what I'm used to; I like to feel the immediate response that coincides with the upshift or just juicing the throttle in a regular-driving RPM level. One gives up performance on the high end of the RPM range as compared to other choices, but I'll take the low end kick over the slow-building torque any day of the week--Well, that is, except for race day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts