CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As someone relatively new to bikes. The DCT CTX700 will have the option to switch between automatic and manual shifting. My question is what benefits are there in manual shifting? Does it make riding a motorcycle more engaging? Or is automatic riding a better way to go?

·
Registered
24 Posts
manual shifting always creates a more engaging feel so this will be the way to go for the "true" CTX700 rider, but if your using this bike as your daily then thats where the automatic shifting can help, cause sometimes it can get annoying in traffic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would go for the manual and leave out the DCT transmission for the CTX700. I like the engaging feel of the bike. Taking out the shifting from riding just makes me feel all too much like riding a scooter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So it pretty much comes down to the manual transmission to be give the rider to feel more of a connection with the bike. And the automatic DCT would be good for riding in the city for stop and start traffic. I am still stuck in between both options for the CTX700.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have ridden both.

I have a CVT bike, that has a auto/Manual shifter

I also have a few manual shifters.

if you are the kind of guy that want to just go out and ride, then the auto is the way to go, you never miss a shift with the auto trans.

You dont have to up shift and let the clutch out then up shift some more at the light and try to get it back into first cause you forgot to down shift while coming up to a light.

I have used the parking brake many times it is a great feature,

scenario: country road, slightly hilly, have your garmin on putting in an address, without parking brake trying to hold the brake and keep the bike from rolling away while holding the brake and typing

It is true, with a manual trans, that you can shut off the engine and shift into gear that will hold you.

But sometime it is nice not to have to clutch or shift

If I were me, last time i checked i was,

I would get one of each, problem solved, auto trans on the fully faired bike, and manual trans on the naked bike, Done

·
Registered
60 Posts
As someone relatively new to bikes. The DCT CTX700 will have the option to switch between automatic and manual shifting. My question is what benefits are there in manual shifting? Does it make riding a motorcycle more engaging? Or is automatic riding a better way to go?
Since you are someone new to motorcycles, I would strongly advise you to learn manual. Like a manual car, you don't know how to drive until you learn about how to clutch and change gears.

It's also more fun, engaging, and makes you more of a man... lol jk. It is better though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Trust me you would want to have a manual bike versus an auto. There is no fun in having one, just take your time learning how to shift once you pick tat up as you get up there in age then maybe you could consider one.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Take the Basic Rider Course and you will have to use/learn manual and then you can make the decision on which one suits you and your riding situation best.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Manual driving on car or bike is a skill set. Not everyone knows how to do it and this downward slope is continuing. I know on cars, the manual gear box is disappearing in favor of DCT. Not sure if the trend is translating to bikes, but I would learn before manufacturers stop selling them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice. I will book a riding course to learn how to ride a motorcycle the way it should be :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been rider for a bit but when I attended the course even for beginner they picked at me for doing things wrong and cleaned up my bad habits there is a lot to learn still. I think even for most seasoned riders they have a few bad habits. Not a bad investment to better yourself at riding.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Since you are someone new to motorcycles, I would strongly advise you to learn manual. Like a manual car, you don't know how to drive until you learn about how to clutch and change gears.

It's also more fun, engaging, and makes you more of a man... lol jk. It is better though.
I've never bought in to this concept; not the part about being more engaging, but the part about folks can't drive or ride unless they can manually shift. Someone posted this thought on a scooter forum of all places. It just makes no sense. Some of the best and attentive drivers out there on the roads have never driven a stick. If millions of drivers started riding motorcycles, but were riding automatics, and if they were focused, alert, courteous of others on the road, and then dedicated themselves to building their skills, many of them would be far better riders in just a couple of years than veterans who shift manually but do not take operating a motor vehicle seriously or who carry an attitude on the road. In other words, I don't see how learning to shift manually is relevant, because the biggest part of being a good rider is wanting to be a good rider.

However, there are benefits to manual transmissions, which mostly come to play on the highway where one doesn't have to deal with that annoying, unwanted downshift and almost always better mpg if you use the manual to your advantage. Of course the paddle shift option kind of gives the best of both. And then there ia the service part of the equation. Manuals are nearly always more durable, reliable, and require less service and are often less costly to service or repair.

Specifically, with regards to the CTX700, there are three huge advantages: $1000 and 22 lbs less than the DCT and 3 mpg better according to Honda testing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Every time one of these manual vs. DCT threads starts it turns into the same thing. Everyone has their own horse in the race; "chocolate is better than vanilla", Betty is better than Veronica" etc. The person who gave the advice to try them both is correct in my opinion. Only you can make the choice.

and makes you more of a man... lol jk. It is better though.
As for this comment, even though it was said in jest I will offer this. I just attended a huge exposition of new fire apparatus for sale, you know, those dainty little trucks that fireman drive? Every one that I sat in was automatic. they may still make manual ones but the trend is to go auto.

·
Registered
975 Posts
As for this comment, even though it was said in jest I will offer this. I just attended a huge exposition of new fire apparatus for sale, you know, those dainty little trucks that fireman drive? Every one that I sat in was automatic. they may still make manual ones but the trend is to go auto.
Consider this...some of the most heavy-duty machinery on or off road or in the air do not require clutch and gear shift, i.e. M1A2 tank @ 70 tons combat ready. I think that's a pretty manly vehicle compared to the light-duty choices were considering.

That said, I prefer a manual mostly due to the almost-always lower price and the simplicity, but like it's been stated, it's a personal preference. One is better for one person, and the other for another. It has nothing to do with making me a better rider or more masculine if I learn and choose a manual transmission, or, if I were a female, it wouldn't make me more lady like to choose and automatic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have ridden for 50 years. Sold my Gold Wing last year, bought a TMAX scooter. Auto tranny. It works fine, but total control is not there. I'm now trying to figure out how to get a CTX 700 with fairing and bags and a shifter. Hope the shipements start soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I always felt that manual was more for enjoyment purposes rather than any practical reason. As for a fire truck, I can understand why an automatic transmission would be preferable. There is a degree of focus required for a manual trans. It could possibly be distracting for someone in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think it really depends on the rider whether they are coordinated enough with the bike and transmission. An automatic might not react the way you want it to in case of an emergency .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Having owned both manual motorcycles and auto scooters, I chose the auto on this model for two reasons.

1. Only way to get ABS option.
2. The shift points are extremely close and, doing a lot of suburban riding, I didn't want to have to shift that frequently.

From the owner's manual (manual shift model):

1st to 2nd - 12 m/hr
2nd to 3rd - 19 m/hr
3rd to 4th - 25 m/hr
4th to 5th - 31 m/hr
5th to 6th - 37 m/hr

This thing has great low end torque and you reach 40 very quickly - a lot of shifting very quickly.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Having owned both manual motorcycles and auto scooters, I chose the auto on this model for two reasons.

1. Only way to get ABS option.
2. The shift points are extremely close and, doing a lot of suburban riding, I didn't want to have to shift that frequently.

From the owner's manual (manual shift model):

1st to 2nd - 12 m/hr
2nd to 3rd - 19 m/hr
3rd to 4th - 25 m/hr
4th to 5th - 31 m/hr
5th to 6th - 37 m/hr

This thing has great low end torque and you reach 40 very quickly - a lot of shifting very quickly.
It seems like 6 gears are about two too many! But of course, the motorcycle media would freak out if a manufacturer brought out a new design with only four gears, so this is what we get.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts