CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any real benefits in terms of naked bikes. It seems whenever there is a naked bike released here will be a sibling model with fairings as well. In this case the Honda CTX700 has both naked and non with more fairings. Is it just for looks or is there actual functions as well?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
There are benefits to having a naked bike such as the Honda CTX700N, The naked CTX700 has the benefit of being ergonomically more comfortable and also has a more neutral and upright riding position.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do like the more raw look of the CTX700N without fairings but believe it or not the fairings do serve a good purpose too. One being protection for the riding and the other being aerodynamics. The less fairings a bike has the more it fights the wind when there is an increase of speed like on the freeway. Some rider that has experience will tell you that they suffer from more fatigue than others. So I'll just stick with the CTX700 with its proper fairings.

·
Registered
49 Posts
To being with, Motorcycle never came with fairings. It was twenty five years ago when manufacturers of bikes started to experiment with using fairings to help with aerodynamics. The bicycle is actually the motorcycles ancestor. This is where Honda is trying to reach back to it's roots to draw a more passionate crowd more motorcycles. The CTX700N reminds me a lot of they use to be but updated with its modern technology. Who would have thought they would incorporate the same technology from a car. In this case it was with the Honda fit (Jazz in japan) sharing the same engine components.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The pressure of the wind wouldn't be that big of an affect for the CTX700 since its lower and cruiser style position. If you were on the NC700 than you would suffer more from fatigue because of the wind blowing to your chest and aching arms from holding on for long periods.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do like the riding position of the CTX700 because your legs are in front of your arse rather than the rear, arguably much more comfortable.

The way I think of it if you do end up dropping the bike **knock on wood** is that you would have to replace the cheap but expensive plastic fiberglass fairings. although there isn't much fairing panels on the Honda CTX700 in the first place.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The way I think of it if you do end up dropping the bike **knock on wood** is that you would have to replace the cheap but expensive plastic fiberglass fairings. although there isn't much fairing panels on the Honda CTX700 in the first place.
The fairings on the CTX700 is made up of fiberglass and is pretty light so its not a lot of weight to begin with. Not too much of a beneficial factor towards weight saving.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I do like the riding position of the CTX700 because your legs are in front of your arse rather than the rear, arguably much more comfortable.
It's called the cruiser position. It's usually something you see on big American muscle bikes. It's pretty cool to see that style making it over to imports and they are not as heavy as their American counterparts.

That is one of the main reasons I like it over the NC700.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The pressure of the wind wouldn't be that big of an affect for the CTX700 since its lower and cruiser style position. If you were on the NC700 than you would suffer more from fatigue because of the wind blowing to your chest and aching arms from holding on for long periods.
Any naked bike will have you more fatigued on a long ride than one with a fairing and good wind management.

Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Any naked bike will have you more fatigued on a long ride than one with a fairing and good wind management.

Chris
Yes this is very true. I can't imagine not taking any breaks. Most of the time I find it best to just stop once very so often to let off and take washroom breaks. Not to mention stretching my arms.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I find that jumping into motorcycle riding a few years ago after a 20 year hiatus, to be interesting. So much is influenced by the marketing folks telling us what we need to have, versus what really works.

Back in the early 80s when I had my first motorcycle, you had one choice...a naked bike. Craig Vetter was an unknown at that time, or at least to me. So you rode a naked bike and that was just the way it was.

There's a nostalgic desire to have a "naked" bike. If a naked bike was all that great for riding farther than to the nearest biker watering hole, then why do you find racing bikes with fairings? Could it be because they cut through the air better? Craig Vetter was one of the first, if not the first, to explore the benefits of a fairing.

I often lead long (10 hour) day trips. My pastor rides his Triumph. I'll ride a Burgman 400 with a fairing. Guess who is more comfortable at the half-way point on the ride? And at the end of the ride? He's looking for the next break to get off that seat, while I'm still comfortable.

He has a bike modeled right off the bikes of the 80's. It's a great bike. But there are better alternatives, and some of those for longer rides include having a fairing.

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
riding a naked bike is very satisfying. When it gets cold you're probably going to need more protection, it does depend on how cold, how old you are, and how fast you're going. Don't compare the CTX with a sportsbike which may well go twice as fast.

you'll probably find aftermarket screens of various sizes will become available for the faired & naked versions of CTX, so you'll be able to fine tune whichever version you have to your own requirements. The bike has to sell first (which I think it will).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I find that jumping into motorcycle riding a few years ago after a 20 year hiatus, to be interesting. So much is influenced by the marketing folks telling us what we need to have, versus what really works.

Back in the early 80s when I had my first motorcycle, you had one choice...a naked bike. Craig Vetter was an unknown at that time, or at least to me. So you rode a naked bike and that was just the way it was.

There's a nostalgic desire to have a "naked" bike. If a naked bike was all that great for riding farther than to the nearest biker watering hole, then why do you find racing bikes with fairings? Could it be because they cut through the air better? Craig Vetter was one of the first, if not the first, to explore the benefits of a fairing.

I often lead long (10 hour) day trips. My pastor rides his Triumph. I'll ride a Burgman 400 with a fairing. Guess who is more comfortable at the half-way point on the ride? And at the end of the ride? He's looking for the next break to get off that seat, while I'm still comfortable.

He has a bike modeled right off the bikes of the 80's. It's a great bike. But there are better alternatives, and some of those for longer rides include having a fairing.

Chris
At the end of the day It depend what your willing to have and what your willing to compromise. And for a naked bike comfort might be something your sacrificing. down the freeway after a long ride with a naked bike you'll soon realize that your body is not much of a wind deflector. But if you love the bike enough some just might be willing to make the sacrifice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts