CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
I didn't know there was such a thing as a belt conversion. Does converting to belts affect mpg or power. I'd definitely be interested. I'm a daily rider; in all seasons; wet or dry. Getting the chain wet regularly can't be good for it.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
I doubt there will ever be one. Most sport bikes and powerplants like this one are designed for a chain. Belts unlike chains, require a larger pulley at the crank and there is no room for one. Also the rear pully would have to be much smaller to keep the gear ratio and again, the sproket is already small and near axle. You could try to fab up something to work but, the ratio would be so off rendering it useless. The trans would need major altering and there is no demand for it. I can see you wanting belt for lower maintenance but, final drive is a major decision in a purchase if you ask me. Personaly, I love chain drives cheap, easy to alter and work on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rebel13. I guess this removes the bike from a contender to replace my PC800. I guess It's too much to ask for a bike that you don't have to do valve adjustments every 6-8k miles, has decent cargo capacity, "maintenance free" belt or shaft drive, good fuel economy, and fuel injection.

I'd rather be enjoying the ride than wrenching. My Vulcan 500 has a chain and when you ride 3-500 miles per week, chain maintenance becomes a dirty messy hassle I'd rather not have (esp without a center stand).

If you can't have a belt the next best thing is having a Loobman chain oiler. It makes having a chain bearable but I'd prefer to not have all the sling off on the wheel / back of bike. I usually give it a squirt every 120-150 miles and clean up the mess after 3K miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Never say never... the is a guy in Uruguay I believe that fabbed up a belt drive system for the Honda Rebel. Looks and works great, NOT some hack job. I think he has a video on YouTube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If we are lucky there is another Honda with a similar/identical output shaft that has a belt and the parts could simply be swapppd over.......

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
If we are lucky there is another Honda with a similar/identical output shaft that has a belt and the parts could simply be swapppd over.......
just my 2 cents worth.
I have owned many Hondas, besides the one far off that chose to make one belt drive and appears not to have marketed it, I don't know of any other belt drive Hondas unless you count scooters and I don't know what drives they use as I have never owned on or looking inside one. The CTX would not be a good replacement for pc800 in my due to chain drive and less storage capacity and less cruising comfort you are used to.

If you are looking for a pc800 replacement I doubt you will find one unless that happens to be one of the new bike releases happening next week. Many bike companies are releasing new models so take a close look.

I have been waiting and looking for a Hawk GT replacement and so far Honda made the NT700V so to me that was closer to your pc800 replacement and not a Hawk gt replacement. I ended up getting a new FZ-09, rode it 220 miles yesterday in 43-72 degree weather. Now after a week I really think I got got my Hawk GT replacement.

·
Registered
585 Posts
belt conversion remarks

I saw the homemade belt conversion on youtube for the dude in asia, however there is another
company that markets chain to belt conversions for honda, kawasaki, etc...
However i the big problem is having a detachable swingarm to place on the one piece belt. I looked at these kits. One thing that was suggested to the manufactuerer was to have a belt with interlocking "link". Yes they make these and they show results of being very reliable and do not break at the link. I believe they are made out of kevlar as well. This solves the
swingarm issue on conversion. The other worry is voiding any warranty maint contract due to "unauthorized modifications". I'll have to look up the vendor marketing the kit.

LONE Woof:cool:

·
Registered
585 Posts
ps

ps: i detest greasy chains and prefer shaft drive or belt drive esp. on a street bike where dirt at a minimum. However with the CTX had to take the bad with the majority "good" ,Cheers.

Lone Woof

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
I stand corrected. I still don't see why anyone would do this other then to be different. It is a high dollar mod with no effect to a low costing bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Speaking of chains. We've 24 chain drives at work. None of them are motorcycles, but they are two sprokets and a chain. About once a month, at least one will have an issue where the chain rolls off or the master link comes off. Chain roll off is due to a sprocket becoming misaligned. The same thing can cause the master link to pop off.

I'd say this isn't a major issue for motorcycles, chain drive has been around for a long time and is used by millions of bikes, but has anyone had any chain came off issues?

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Assuming that the Belt drive advertised for the NC 700 out of Brazil cost 1895.00 in Brazilian dollars, then the cost conversion for US dollars would be 587.45 dollars. If the conversion worked well, then in my mind, it would be a no brainer.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Thanks Rebel13. I guess this removes the bike from a contender to replace my PC800. I guess It's too much to ask for a bike that you don't have to do valve adjustments every 6-8k miles, has decent cargo capacity, "maintenance free" belt or shaft drive, good fuel economy, and fuel injection.

I'd rather be enjoying the ride than wrenching. My Vulcan 500 has a chain and when you ride 3-500 miles per week, chain maintenance becomes a dirty messy hassle I'd rather not have (esp without a center stand).

If you can't have a belt the next best thing is having a Loobman chain oiler. It makes having a chain bearable but I'd prefer to not have all the sling off on the wheel / back of bike. I usually give it a squirt every 120-150 miles and clean up the mess after 3K miles.
I was telling another ctx member about the "sling" IE: splatter of excess oil, use some of the newer lube compounds. I use white graphite, there's no post ride splatter issues. It goes on wet, becomes tacky within a few minutes.

There's a lube that goes on clear with same properties as the graphite IIRC, as far as I know work the same way, if you don't like the white graphite. Lots of options. My local cyclebarn shop sells them.
The graphite does not attract much if any dirt or grit. It's a honda branded lube.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts