CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! This is my first post to the forum and I cant wait to get to know some of you.

I got my first bike (1979 Suzuki DS80) when I was 11 years old. Since then I've owned and ridden sports, standards, tourers, cruisers and even a Bergman Scooter. I must have owned at least 15 bikes in last 30 years.

I did not have love at first sight for the CTX700. I had to visit it several times. I rode it, twice. And I still wasn't sure. The faired model in red started to grow on me ... probably because the lines and color remind me of the 1986 Nighthawk I used to ride to school. Now, when I look at it .. i think it is truly beautiful. So, I bought it.

I had 2 major concerns with this bike:

1. Is it underpowered? and 2. Will I miss my clutch lever?

Well I brought my new CTX700 home today and I must say I am having major reverse-buyer's-remorse. I keep getting more and more happy with this bike!

As for power - it's got lots. I was afraid of the 670ccs being too little. I tried to convince myself that the light weight of the bike and the gearing, etc would give me plenty of power but I was still worried. (I'm 290lbs).

After riding it for a few miles, I gotta tell you I do not want for power on this thing. I don't plan on drag racing with the local speed freaks, so I've got everything I need and then some - it even pushes me back in the seat when accelerating.

The DCT transmission gave me a really weird feeling. At first, it was a sense of total loss of control - like there is a little guy - Let's call him "Shifty" - in there somewhere and HE decides when to shift MY bike. After riding a bit, I found though that this transmission is SO MUCH BETTER than what I'm used to.

I figured out how to get my control back. What they don't tell you is that your DON'T have to be in [manual] mode to shift gears. You can up/down sift whenever you want. Like when decelerating, or entering a curve, I can downshift while still in [automatic] mode (either Drive or Sport). All [manual] mode does is put "Shifty" on a coffee break.

I could not be happier with my purchase. If you're having doubts coming off of traditional bikes, I can tell you you wont be disappointed with this ride.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
pumansky , welcome to the forum and to the 21st century of modern bikes. Many like the automatic and it looks like it's growing on you in leaps and bounds. Glad your buyers remorse is going away with every mile.

Be sure to read all the posts on windshields for you faired model. It will help if you change the original one out.

I imagine "shifty" will be on many more coffee brakes and you will be having more fun.

Reactions: pumansky

·
Registered
46 Posts
Excellent POV, and I think you expressed what we've all found with this bike. I was debating the DCT however I have found it still gives me the control but more importantly it allows me to focus on the ride itself. I am enjoying being in the moment with this bike. Now if it would warm up so I can ride again.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Welcome to the forum Pumansky. The DCT is totally amazing! Gives me everything I need and fulfills my wants whenever the time is right. There is so much it can do if you take the time to get to know it. Most are satisfied with just putting it in "D" or "S". If you learn to shift it using the auto function or in manual mode, the bike really comes alive! For most days when I'm just commuting or travelling "D" is just fine and preferred. But then there are those days when I want to play with my warp speed friends and burn up some twisting roadway. This bike really performs.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Welcome, glad you like your new ride.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Welcome

Enjoy the forum it is great

Enjoy the experience and the ride :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Welcome brother!

Read my posts about MPG when your digging around here.

I have no want for acceleration on CTX700ND: found 75-95 to be amazing for passing. Going slow I enjoy 60-70MPG. Fast in Sport mode consistently 50-55MPG.

After 4000 miles since summer, which is low for me, IN LOVE the DCT and may never own another manual. Put it in Sport and rpm range feels like manual bike. Leave it in Drive and see 70MPG. say no more, eh?

·
Registered
842 Posts
pumansky

Welcome, indeed! We love our CTX's...and those NDT versions are pure and sweet [like mine, but I'm biased].

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f

·
Registered
267 Posts
Glad that you like it!

Coming from a scooter world (though I took my MSF class on a traditional bike) it's a nice transition. I can shift when I want to, giving me control, but I can also enjoy urban riding without too much fuss.

With only a couple hundred miles I barely know the machine yet, but I'm sure we're going to be great friends.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my first post here, in response to you. I do not yet own a CTX DCT, but plan to buy one soon. I currently own a Suzuki V Strom 650, and it is a great bike...HOWEVER...it is TOO TALL for me, and the center of gravity is too high. At my age, going on 62 soon, and my size (5-7, 150 lbs), I have learned that I cannot confidently handle the top heavy bikes of my earlier years ! So, I am wondering if anybody here has experienced similar issues. I need a bike with a low center of gravity, and love ABS, so it looks like the CTX is a good choice. From what I am reading here about the DCT, it also sounds like it could increase the level of safety for an older rider like me (i.e. less "stimuli" to have to concentrate on, and more fixation on what is around me as I am riding). I too have ridden many years, but laid of for about 12 years and am a "returning rider". Congrats to you on your purchase !
Gary

·
Registered
300 Posts
Frey,
I went to CTX 700 dct from VStar 950. The weight of the Yamaha was too much for my 64yr knees to handle at stops etc. No problems on CTX.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
freyguy17 , Have you looked into lower kits for you Vstom 650? Lots of different kits on ebay. If you could flat foot it maybe your present bike wont seem so heavy. I am 65 and like a lighter bike. Had a VFR800 before the ctx and it really felt top heavy and I added a lowering link and higher bars and it feel safer but had lots of miles on it so traded it on the CTX. It is missed at 75mph and you want to pass (V4 engines are amazing).

You will give up some power and gain a more relaxed ride with the CTX. I think you will like the tradeoff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
freyguy17 , Have you looked into lower kits for you Vstom 650? Lots of different kits on ebay. If you could flat foot it maybe your present bike wont seem so heavy. I am 65 and like a lighter bike. Had a VFR800 before the ctx and it really felt top heavy and I added a lowering link and higher bars and it feel safer but had lots of miles on it so traded it on the CTX. It is missed at 75mph and you want to pass (V4 engines are amazing).

You will give up some power and gain a more relaxed ride with the CTX. I think you will like the tradeoff.
I have actually lowered this bike about 1 inch, using a lowered suspension and lowered seat (option from Suzuki). But, we're still talking a seat height of about 31 inches ! And, I think even more importantly, is the high center of gravity of the V Strom line...very high due to the V Twin design PLUS high ground clearance. THis is NOT a diss of this bike; simply a reality. For probably most who buy a V Strom this is NOT an issue. I LOVE the motor in this bike; lots of torque and a clean pulling power band ALL the way to redline. However, I simply learned the hard way...not knowing what "questions to ask" before I bought the bike (I have been out of the market since early 90's !). The more I have ridden it, the more uncomfortable I feel on it. Seat height and CG are much more important, I have learned, that a strong engine ! That reality (not feeling comfortable with a top-heavy bike) is a HUGE safety issue for a 61 year old rider. Feeling SAFE and confident is my number one priority at this point, otherwise, it would be prudent to give up motorcycles altogether. I don't really want to do that !! So, I will most likely go back to Honda (having previously owned an '81 Wing and '78 CX 500).
Thanks for your reply !
Freyguy in Ohio

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
You will absolutely love the CTX. I recommend buying the CTX700 DCT. This is the fairing model with the auto trans. Add a Cee Bailey windscreen and its time to ride!

·
Registered
975 Posts
This is my first post here, in response to you. I do not yet own a CTX DCT, but plan to buy one soon. I currently own a Suzuki V Strom 650, and it is a great bike...HOWEVER...it is TOO TALL for me, and the center of gravity is too high. At my age, going on 62 soon, and my size (5-7, 150 lbs), I have learned that I cannot confidently handle the top heavy bikes of my earlier years ! So, I am wondering if anybody here has experienced similar issues. I need a bike with a low center of gravity, and love ABS, so it looks like the CTX is a good choice.
Gary
Thanks for reporting your height and weight. This helps me gauge whether or not you're likely to find the CTX easy to live with. There have been a couple of more senior riders on here with knee problems who had to quickly sell their CTXs. These folks thought this bike would resolve the knee issue that they encountered on other bikes, since they could purchase it with an automatic tranny and not have the shifter to deal with. But for some of them, this bike was worse. If I remember correctly, these folks were fairly tall with long inseams and the forward pegs scrunched them up a little too much and made it unbearable on their knees for long rides. They didn't realize it until after purchasing this bike.

I'm 5'8 with a 30.5 inseam and 150 lbs. I'm a great size and weight for this bike, which results in great mpg and great power, because I'm not way up over the bike, and I'm a light weight that doesn't need a lot of horsepower to scoot along. I do not have knee problems; I do have a troublesome lower back and have no issues with this bike bothering my back.

I'm long-legged for my height and short in the torso. I've got the standard bike, and the forward controls stretch my toes upward just a little too much for easy operation of the controls if I try to stay in a laid-back (normal) position during urban riding. But that's an opposite problem than what the folks who already sold were dealing with. The over stretched problem I've got is easily solved. I simply just slide up in the seat a little bit when I get in an urban environment and it's perfect. The seat is very flat and cradled even towards the front, so there is no tendency to slide back or forward like on some sport or adventure bikes. If you choose the DSG/ABS, the left foot will not be an issue. As for the rear brake, I don't use it much except when stopped on hills but cover it just the same in case I need to brake hard. In the case of being stopped on hills, I'll scoot way up on the seat and this gives me the leverage I need to put a lot of confident pressure on the rear brake. The foot controls are adjustable and this can help with this issue as well and is detailed in the "how to" section of this forum.

Spend a lot of time sitting on the bike and test ride if possible. Make sure what I've described works for you. The shorter your inseam, the more it will stretch you out and pull your toes up if you're sitting on the widest portion of the seat, but your height reported seems just about perfect from my perspective. However, there may be situations where you have to slide upward in the seat to get a more up-and-down seated position, so make sure this wouldn't be something aggravating to you. For me, this issue is most pronounced for the right foot, because one needs to ensure that he or she has plenty of downward pressure while sitting on hills and if your toes are trying to point upwards, this can be an issue.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I'm 6'0, 34" inseam and 215lbs. I'm also 53 and have some physical limitations such as bad knees, ankle, elbow and wrist problems. 28 years of public service, sports and just plain playing hard have left my body a physical wreck. I find the CTX DCT to be amazing. It has allowed me to continue enjoying a sport that was coming to a quick end due to the physical issues. The lighter weight, low center of gravity, low seat height and comfortable riding position all contribute to a bike that is easy for me to ride for long periods. The DCT takes all the pressure off my wrist and ankle since I don't have to keep constantly moving them in the same repetitive motion required to shift or down shift. The light weight, low center of gravity and low seat height keep pressure off my knees when standing still at traffic stops and when climbing aboard. It works for me. It may not work for you but I would bet it will given the problems you have described and the desire to own a bike that doesn't come with all the top heavy weight and the confidence in a bike that is easy to handle. Yes, people have sold their CTX's because their physical limitations have precluded them from riding it. If you listen to their complaints, its not due to fault with the bike. They loved it. Its due to the fact its a motorcycle and some people just cant ride motorcycles anymore. Its not a miracle on two wheels.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes ! Weight is a major issue for me, also ! Thanks for your comments.
Freyguy
Frey, I'm 67 -6'tall 32" ins. and tried out a FJR1300 and really liked the bike. But weight and top heaviness at low speed was a deal killer. Also could not flatfoot even with seat in low position. Salesman brought out the CTX700 with fairing and I bought it on the spot. With a life long back problem this bike has been wonderful. I would go with the DCT if I was buying again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
RE: Reverse buyer's remorse. I also had this bike grow on me... although I loved the easy and comfortable handling from the moment I climbed on the thing. Regarding power... this isn't much of an issue for me since I mostly want comfort and fun. BUT ... that said, if I put the thing in sport mode and really twist the throttle it does get up and go. It's the only bike I've owned (in several years) that I am riding in the winter... that says a lot in the Pacific Northwest.

Glad you're enjoying the bike. Welcome to the forum.

MisterHand (Tony)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts