CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since things are a little slow around here, I decided to ask a minor question that has been in my mind for some time. The instructions for the battery tender more or less say that when connecting, connect to bike first, then plug unit in to wall. Removing is reverse, unplug wall, than unplug or remove clips from battery/bike. I can see if you are dealing with a battery that might be charging and off-gassing you would not want a spark near it. But if you are just putting your bike on for "tending" between rides, would that really matter. Simply put, my wish would be to leave the unit plugged in to the wall socket constantly, and just plug in the bike when I get home, or later like the night before a ride. I just recently hung a bicycle in front of the wall socket (not a huge deal to get to it), so my laziness with hooking up the CTX has brought this question to the top. How do you use your tender and what do you think of leaving it plugged in to the wall?????? PS: I use the SAE plug to connect to CTX

·
Registered
231 Posts
I connect to the pigtail connector, then plug in the tender. Reverse when unplugging to ride. The tender is only used mid-November through mid-April as my bike lives in an unheated shed with only occasional rides during the winter months.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I leave my battery connected and plug in the charger for a few hours every 4-6 months. The charger indicates fully charged after about an hour, but I leave it on a bit longer. This is between late November to mid December when I put my bike in the unheated shed until I bring it out, usually around the end of march. bike starts up immediately. Temperature will vary, but we usually get several days below -25C (-13F) and about a half dozen days when it will make it above freezing, with everything else in between. I usually plug the charger in first then plug into the wall and reverse when done. If you don't have room, I see no reason whey you can't leave the quick connect plugged in and just plug / unplug the unit from the wall.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use PA DAVE's method. Do not like to leave chargers plugged in with nothing charging, they do use electricity when just plugged in.

·
Registered
866 Posts
When plugged in constantly to the electrical receptacle with out being on the bike the only power used is enough to run that small LED light on the charger. May cost you a nickel a month.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I permanently attached this 18 inch SAE connector to my battery terminals and the SAE plug hangs out in front of my seat. Whenever I leave the bike parked, I simply plug the Battery Tenders SAE plug into the bikes plug. Eliminates/greatly reduces chances of igniting any off-gassing whether the charger is plugged in or not and is much more convienent. An added advantage is you can use the permanently attached SAE plug to power any devices requiring twelve volts such as heated jacket or air compressor. Just remember, you're connecting directly to battery so engine should be running if you're powering external devices.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I permanently attached this 18 inch SAE connector to my battery terminals and the SAE plug hangs out in front of my seat. Whenever I leave the bike parked, I simply plug the Battery Tenders SAE plug into the bikes plug. Eliminates/greatly reduces chances of igniting any off-gassing whether the charger is plugged in or not and is much more convienent. An added advantage is you can use the permanently attached SAE plug to power any devices requiring twelve volts such as heated jacket or air compressor. Just remember, you're connecting directly to battery so engine should be running if you're powering external devices.

Same here.

·
Registered
226 Posts
............. The instructions for the battery tender say .... that when connecting, connect to bike first, then plug unit in to wall. Removing is reverse, .....................
Here's a good life lesson for you - if you are reading it in the instruction manual the manufacturer has a very good reason for putting in those steps. Otherwise they wouldn't have put that in the manual. Nobody ever messed up their battery or charger by following the manufacturer's directions.

Steve

·
Registered
226 Posts
I always leave mine plugged in. Disconnect the lead when I ride. Never had a problem.
What may work for your brand of charger may not work for all.
There is also one downside to leaving your bike always plugged in. If your battery is failing, the charger will keep the charge up so you can start your bike and go on a ride. You stop and have a nice leisurely lunch somewhere, wander around and see the sights, and while you are doing that the battery is slowly draining. Go back to the bike a few hours later and the battery can't get the job done. Which is what happened to my buddy.
To check the battery, disconnect the charger and check the voltage with a voltmeter at least 36 hours later. 12.8v and up, battery in great shape. 12.5v to 12.7v battery is adequate. 12.4v and below - replace it.

Steve

·
Registered
799 Posts
What may work for your brand of charger may not work for all.
There is also one downside to leaving your bike always plugged in. If your battery is failing, the charger will keep the charge up so you can start your bike and go on a ride. You stop and have a nice leisurely lunch somewhere, wander around and see the sights, and while you are doing that the battery is slowly draining. Go back to the bike a few hours later and the battery can't get the job done. Which is what happened to my buddy.
To check the battery, disconnect the charger and check the voltage with a voltmeter at least 36 hours later. 12.8v and up, battery in great shape. 12.5v to 12.7v battery is adequate. 12.4v and below - replace it.

Steve
I have found keeping the charger in for a Li battery works well. Will never go back to a lead. I also hot wired the 12V socket live on the bike, so there is a minor power drain over time. Thus charging.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts