CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 C200 / 1966 S65 / 1979 CB750K / 1982 CT110 / 2016 CSC RX3 / 2018 CSC TT250
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all. Just wanted to share my latest project.

I installed a "Gammatronix" tricolored LED. It will illuminate either green, yellow or red. Depending on the voltage it detects at the battery terminals. I've used it on three bikes without issues. With the bike off, LED will flash once every three seconds. The flashing color corresponding to battery voltage. Install is usually easy. Although I chose to remove all panels to better decide routing. I'm sure there are better options but this works perfectly fine for me. Many see the LED and think it's an alarm. I'll include technical data and purchase information at the end for those interested.

Cost was $23.82 USD including shipping from UK. (picture is from ebay but is identical)
Screenshot (272).png

I installed it on left side because there is a nice harness to follow.
image2(3).jpeg

Bike at rest, LED flashing. Green flashing indicates voltage between 12.2v and 13.1v.
Power consumption at rest is 0.5mA (according to manufacturer)
image0(2).jpeg

With bike running the LED will illuminate and remain a solid green as long as 13.2v to 14.9v is detected.
Power Consumption : 10mA nominal on the road (according to manufacturer)
image1(3).jpeg

As promised here is the link for purchase: LED MOTORCYCLE / BIKE Battery level Alternator Charge monitor, monsoon proof | eBay

You can also try: Gammatronix Ltd Electronics Store

Gammatronix makes LED lights that cover 12v, 6v, Lithium, Lead-Acid, Gel or Fibre mat batteries. So please select accordingly.

From the Manufacturer:
  • Protects and warns against Undercharging, Overcharging, and 'flat' batteries when in storage.
  • Monitors when on the road AND when vehicle parked / stored
  • Integrated tri colour (Red, Green, Yellow) 10mm LED and microprocessor assembly - indicates SIX different conditions
  • Flashes when parked - looks like a security system LED
  • Fully rubber wrapped for waterproofing and shock resistance.
  • Single 14mm hole required for mounting.
  • Just 40mm depth behind control panel.
  • 10mm tri-colour LED indication of your battery level or charging state
  • Unit will operate down to 3.7v.
  • Power Consumption : 10mA nominal on the road, 0.5mA when parked - essentially nothing!
  • Internally PTC fused (self resetting) + reverse voltage protected
  • Multiple oversampling - unit takes 10+ readings to obtain greatest accuracy.
  • Built in hysteresis to prevent 'strobing LED' when unit is at changeover point.
  • Supplied with fitted connection leads 1.2m long
  • Supplied with comprehensive instructions

·
Registered
187 Posts
Love it. But I don’t ebay. I will get a couple direct instead.

Reactions: Essayons

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love it. But I don’t ebay. I will get a couple direct instead.
Gammatronix is a stellar seller. They show 9,804 ratings with a 100%. Never went direct purchase route but should be incident free. This particular LED requires a 14mm hole. I invested in a 14mm drill bit for a direct and quick install. If you get a different sized LED check the mounting hole size. It should be listed in the technical information. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks sweet. I don't think it would work quite as well and an N version.
First bike I mounted it on was a 2006 Sportster. Very little room but do able. Maybe there is enough room.
B6CDBA56-4B3A-4D90-B58E-2788862855CA.png

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nothing like a parasitic draw to ruin an impromptu riding day.....
This would be my big concern as well, is this a minute amount of draw for several weeks/months? I foresee a situation...the temperature trends a little warm in February, a front moves through with rain that washes the salt and chemicals off the roads, the sun comes out and dries them off, I gear up for the balmy 45 degree ride, and ... click...click...
My winter prep includes a battery tender through the cold weather months which I think would mitigate this potential downside.

Then again, I foresee a nice summer weekend coming, and deciding to go camping. Such a warning light would be so very nice to have in the days leading up so that I can see a potential problem coming before I load up the camping and fishing gear just to hear click....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
This would be my big concern as well, is this a minute amount of draw for several weeks/months? I foresee a situation...the temperature trends a little warm in February, a front moves through with rain that washes the salt and chemicals off the roads, the sun comes out and dries them off, I gear up for the balmy 45 degree ride, and ... click...click...
My winter prep includes a battery tender through the cold weather months which I think would mitigate this potential downside.
Good point; but if you see a yellow, couldn't you just plug in the tender to top up the battery? I find that with this bike, it doesn't take much to keep the battery topped up, even with really low temperatures in the shed. So, while the warning light is a neat idea, I don't think it would be needed for me.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many days without starting the bike have you went with this installed??
I've gone about 40 days without charging. The LED was yellow and the bike started right up. My bikes are always outside with a cover. The LED is a quick visual to determine if charging is needed. Power consumption at rest is 0.5mA according to manufacturer. Unfortunately Southern California won't let me attest to it's performance in colder situations. Ideally I would store the bike indoors on a tender if I could.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good point; but if you see a yellow, couldn't you just plug in the tender to top up the battery? I find that with this bike, it doesn't take much to keep the battery topped up, even with really low temperatures in the shed. So, while the warning light is a neat idea, I don't think it would be needed for me.
That's what I basically do, so I'm thinking the warning light's primary usefulness to me would be an indicator of charging or battery problems during high use months as an early warning indication.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ordered 2 on Sunday. Received shipping notice this morning from Gamma. Shipping is via Royal Mail, so it will appear in mailbox at some point.
Since I ride until first salt and a week or so after last salt, I could ride into Dec and be on the road again in March. I rode last week with a warm weather day. I use a tender when parked over the winter so that .5mA is not an issue. Likely near the same draw as the clock.
Pierre

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I do something similar. Alas, the city of Ottawa has had the salt trucks out when there was frost on the ground. Fortunately we have had some rain so I still hope to get another few rides in. How are the roads in your area?
Phil

·
Registered
187 Posts
Up to this morning only QEW and Hwy3 had been slimed. We had a dusting of snow over night but the next few days are to be higher than freeze. In the last 40 years I have been able to ride in every month of the year. February 3rd a couple years ago was glorious! Had a warm spell and it had rained the day before. Got in a 90 minute ride and filled the tank!
Pierre

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Up to this morning only QEW and Hwy3 had been slimed. We had a dusting of snow over night but the next few days are to be higher than freeze. In the last 40 years I have been able to ride in every month of the year. February 3rd a couple years ago was glorious! Had a warm spell and it had rained the day before. Got in a 90 minute ride and filled the tank!
Pierre
Riding 12 months a year sounds great, but you live in the banana belt. Checked the forcast and Friday is supposed to be 13 C and partly sunny, so I'm planning a trip down to Merrickville and then either to Smiths Falls or Brockville. After that I am going to be busy, so will top up the tank and put it in the shed for the season.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts