CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700ND
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2014 CTX700ND. I replaced my original battery with a Yuasa YTZ12s in late February 2019. Took it on a 300 mile trip about a month ago with no issues...and no prior issues. Also, use a battery tender, when not in use.
Yesterday, I hopped on and all the starter button did was "click." But, it would not start.
Checked to make sure it was not user error, i.e. kill switch, etc.
I waited 6 hours, then, tried again. It started 3 times in a row. But, didn't try to ride it.
I tried again this morning. Started 3 times in a row. Then, wouldn't start on the 4th try or after that. I've continued to try starting all day today, but, still only get the "click."
I find it hard to believe it's a battery issue at 3 and a half years old?
The oil light remained on, but, I think that is because the engine didn't start, not an oil pressure issue.
I'm kinda stumped. Any insight from the community would be appreciated.
As a footnote, I'm not mechanically inclined, (looking for a blown fuse, etc.) but, get my bike serviced every year before the riding season starts.
Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
starter relay failing? check voltage across battery terminals when cranking. If it doesn't drop, jumper the relay.

·
Registered
2014 manual, naked version,Corbin, Bodis exhaust,factory bags, MRA windscreen, center stand
89 Posts
The batteries in mine have failed every 3years. I've found when the starter just clicks you better replace it pronto. Or you will be walking. The first time I was lucky enough to be on the top of a hill and was able to coast downhill and pop the clutch. You DCT owners don't have that option.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
89 Posts
After happening twice in the past 4 years, when I hear the click sound, I replace the battery and that has solved the problem. My last battery lasted a little over 3 years (Moto Classic YTZ14-12S).

·
Registered
736 Posts
Start with the basics. Check all of the circuit connections. Check that the battery terminals are tight and have no corrosion. I always start testing with a good fully charged battery. If you suspect the battery take it fully charged to AutoZone, Discount Auto, Batteries Plus and they can do a capacity test on for free. “When you test for capacity, you're looking at the battery's ability to deliver a specified amount of current at a constant rate to a specified end voltage for a specified time”. Download the service manual and follow chapter 6. If you have a volt meter step 4 of the link is a simple load test. Rule of thumb is “A good battery should not drop below 9.6 volts over 10 seconds or so”. Good luck with the repair.
http://www.greenknights36.com/html/files/Pictures/Temp/ServiceManual.pdf
How to test a motorcycle battery - RevZilla

·
Registered
2015 CTX700
19 Posts
+1 on the battery. The battery that came with my CTX lasted about 5 years, which is the most I've ever gotten. Most of mine last 3, maybe 4. Sometimes as little as 2 if you get the cheap batteries.

Also check your grounding cables for corrosion.

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
I missed where the battery was replaced in 2019....

That said, basic no start troubleshooting always starts with a voltmeter across the battery. Tells you everything you need to know in less than a minute.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700ND
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
starter relay failing? check voltage across battery terminals when cranking. If it doesn't drop, jumper the relay.
²
I bought this when I replaced my battery in 2019 to monitor it besides my battery tender. It's the same brand as my battery tender and was showing 13.0v - 12.8v range. But, I guess this can't be trusted for accuracy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
²

I bought this when I replaced my battery in 2019 to monitor it besides my battery tender. It's the same brand as my battery tender and was showing 13.0v - 12.8v range. But, I guess this can't be trusted for accuracy.
I dont see why not. What does it read when you attempt to crank and get the click?

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700ND
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont see why not. What does it read when you attempt to crank and get the click?
I just did it now. Took off the battery tender and it read 12.9v.
Then, tried to start it, it read 2.1v, then again 1.9v.
So, I guess then it is the battery? I always thought the correct voltage was when the bike was off. Guess I learned something new.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
Yep. Dead battery.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700ND
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One last footnote....should I get another Yuasa battery or is there a better option?
My mechanic swears by them last time, but I'm not fond of it lasting only 3 1/2 years at that premium price. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
Seems to be the luck of the draw. I am still on the original from 2014, but I'm sure my time is coming.

I am probably going to go against conventional wisdom and look at a lighter weight alternative.

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
+1 on getting the extra capacity.

Reactions: Ruby

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700ND
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Consider purchasing a YTZ14S. Same size as the YTZ12S, but more capacity. Stick with Yuasa, most will last 5 years. Make sure you have a pulse charger if it’s not your daily driver.
Thanks, I will look into it. I have always used this battery tender from day one. My mechanic said these are good, but, you can never tell when the tender goes bad. It will still show a green light...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts