CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
cobraguy, nice set of photos. I like the rack without the backrest. I see the fairing version has the grab handles and you could leave them on with the rack. cool.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a backrest in its near future it just wasn't at the dealer when we picked her up. The bag parts list says inner supports required. If you have the rear hand grips the supports are already their so you don't need to purchase them.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I like the rear rack too, but don't want the back rest as I'll probably one day get a cheap top case like the Bestem with a back pad.

I think the rear rack itself is pretty reasonable price wise and the appearance goes well with the bike, however, the price for the brackets is unconscionable, and I can't make myself pay for them. So I'll be waiting to see if an after market solution comes out that doesn't hurt the wallet so much.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Very functional! Did you install the shield? If so, how hard was it to remove the plastic and install?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thumper the windshield was really easy. 8 screws 4 poppet fasteners and 4 snaps. I'll put it up on the How To later today. I'll just make it a series of posts with pictures in a single thread.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am thinking of buying the CTX700ND. Do you know if the hand grips for the passenger, like I see on your CTX700, will fit on a CTX700ND?

I'd like to get the hand grips, rear carrier, and back rest.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes they will bolt right on. You will have to get the inner supports for your bike along with the rack, grips, and backrest.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am thinking of buying the CTX700ND. Do you know if the hand grips for the passenger, like I see on your CTX700, will fit on a CTX700ND?

I'd like to get the hand grips, rear carrier, and back rest.
Yes the grips do fit on the CTX 700n naked one and they really make it look good especially if u have saddlebags or rear carrier because the mounting hardware is exposed and ugly but if u have the grips u can put a cap over the 8 mm bolt which makes everything look so much better it took me like 3 weeks to get the grips they were on back order and my friend just ordered some and hers won't be in till aug 30 they were still on back order when she ordered them 2 weeks ago the part numbers are 81805-MJF-A30 right side and 81806-MJF-A30 left side and the caps are 491456-MCW-D01 you will need two caps . I would post a picture but I can't figure put how to from my iPhone but they really add alot to the looks of the naked CTX

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes the grips do fit on the CTX 700n naked one and they really make it look good especially if u have saddlebags or rear carrier because the mounting hardware is exposed and ugly but if u have the grips u can put a cap over the 8 mm bolt which makes everything look so much better it took me like 3 weeks to get the grips they were on back order and my friend just ordered some and hers won't be in till aug 30 they were still on back order when she ordered them 2 weeks ago the part numbers are 81805-MJF-A30 right side and 81806-MJF-A30 left side and the caps are 491456-MCW-D01 you will need two caps . I would post a picture but I can't figure put how to from my iPhone but they really add alot to the looks of the naked CTX

So if I just order those parts plus the inner support, I will be good to go?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think I figured it out. I'm going to have the dealer put the rear carrier on it anyway, so that will include the inner support.

I'll buy the grips and the caps like you said. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I think I figured it out. I'm going to have the dealer put the rear carrier on it anyway, so that will include the inner support.

I'll buy the grips and the caps like you said. Thank you!
you are correct, you will just need caps for the 4 bolts plus the handles if you are already having the dealer install the rear rack. I am not sure if the bolts are the same. The handles are almost 100 each and the inner supports are est 83.00 I was buying a N version until I added in the extra cost of adding handles and supports so I just bought the fairing model. We really like the styling now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
you are correct, you will just need caps for the 4 bolts plus the handles if you are already having the dealer install the rear rack. I am not sure if the bolts are the same. The handles are almost 100 each and the inner supports are est 83.00 I was buying a N version until I added in the extra cost of adding handles and supports so I just bought the fairing model. We really like the styling now.
Thanks for confirming that.

I like the look of the naked model better, but after reading here for a while, I might be glad to have the wind protection of the fairing model. Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here's the two questions I ask anyone who's thinking about buying a motorcycle and they ask me for my input.

1. How far are you going to ride? If it's long distances, you're gonna want a windshield. Just across town, maybe not so much. How much (size) of a windshield is directly related to age and planned distances. The older you get the more comfort you want (and can afford to pay for). Now you see why the bikes doing the big miles have the most protection. Gold Wings for example.

2. Are you going to ride anyone on the back (passenger)? If you are, then you better make sure the bike is big enough and powerful enough for two. Passenger comfort should be a big consideration too.

Answer those two questions BEFORE you buy a bike and you'll save yourself a lot of frustration.

If I were you, I would look hard at the faired model. For me personally, I'm old enough and have enough miles under my belt that I'm done with "naked" bikes. I mean if you're going to buy a bike and immediately slap a windshield on it, then you might as well just buy a bike with a windshield. That's just my feeling anyway.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Here's the two questions I ask anyone who's thinking about buying a motorcycle and they ask me for my input.

1. How far are you going to ride? If it's long distances, you're gonna want a windshield. Just across town, maybe not so much. How much (size) of a windshield is directly related to age and planned distances. The older you get the more comfort you want (and can afford to pay for). Now you see why the bikes doing the big miles have the most protection. Gold Wings for example.

2. Are you going to ride anyone on the back (passenger)? If you are, then you better make sure the bike is big enough and powerful enough for two. Passenger comfort should be a big consideration too.

Answer those two questions BEFORE you buy a bike and you'll save yourself a lot of frustration.

If I were you, I would look hard at the faired model. For me personally, I'm old enough and have enough miles under my belt that I'm done with "naked" bikes. I mean if you're going to buy a bike and immediately slap a windshield on it, then you might as well just buy a bike with a windshield. That's just my feeling anyway.
Gee, I am an old guy, if 64 counts (who can afford comfort) and I slapped a windshield on my CTX700N right away too. But now a month later it is off and the bike is more naked than it started. Can't do that with a faired model, Chuckle... we having fun yet...

your 2 answers are good and should help those needing a place to start the decision making process. Add "How much experience have you had and on what types of bikes" . what did you like or dislike about with what you had.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts