CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so has anyone thought of (or am I the only one crazy enough to think this) removing the baffles out of the CTX? Using the old screw driver hammer trick (did this on my last bike) But the biggest thing holding me back is will this affect the warranty? I tried asking the dealer but they just tried to sell me a slip on, lol.

Thoughts? Concerns?

I figured knocking out the baffles would be better then a new set of pipes, mainly because I don't want the bike super loud, just more audible then it is now.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have done the hammer punch before, but if you want to do this, in my opinion, I would get a drill extender and attach a hole saw the size of the opening of the can (slightly smaller). Drill in and remove the discs inside the can. I would only drill one and see how it sounds and then the next if you want more sound. I have not looked at the exhaust on this bike yet and each is a little different but if you hold a flashlight up, you should see what I am talking about. I have done this to about 5 bikes in the past. Not hard and I left the can installed while doing it.
Check with your dealer but I have never had a dealer say anything about it really.

If you don't like the sound after the mod, you have lost nothing if you are going with aftermarket pipes anyway. That is how I justify it anyway. Usually, I have found that aftermarket will sound better but on a budget, the drill mod is not bad.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The exhaust is tuned to not only create a specific sound, but to ensure a certain level of back pressure is created. By drilling out the baffles, you're going to be reducing the amount of back pressure, which will most likely negatively impact performance, because you're going to be running your fuel mixture more lean than it is tuned to handle. Given the CTX700 line is tuned for fuel efficiency, I would think it's already running pretty lean.

That, and it's illegal to do it in most states.

·
Registered
898 Posts
You are correct Dewalt. Sometimes I forget that not everyone is aware of the warning that goes with doing modifications on their bike. However, with the fuel injection I believe it will be ok unless you change out the air filter. Some people drill around the outside of the hole plate for more sound also.
Making any kind of mod like this could most definitely be illegal in your state (or state your riding through) so make sure you know the laws or are prepared for the possibililty of a uniformed inspection.
I'll say it again though, " I have found that aftermarket will sound better", if your looking for a deeper tone (not advocating loud) than performing this mod anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My state usually doesn't care (seeing I like an hour from where bike week is hosted lol)

I have thought about the back pressure issue. But with it being fuel injected I figured it wouldn't be too much of an issue.

I do plan on getting aftermarket pipes for the bike eventually when I have more money lol.

I just don't like the fact that the bike is so quiet, I sort of live by the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" saying and seeing that Florida doesn't really complain about vehicles being loud I figured I would go with it, if it didn't create a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Some Honda exhausts are notorious for rusting up quickly. Further down the track, they are impossible to obtain. Both my CBX 1000's are especially bad, so an "original" system is highly sought after. New batches are being made that are 99.5% original, but there's no original like original. If the CTX really catches on, it could be a similar story. Do you really want to damage a brand new system for such short time gain? Go into hock and get something you want and fill the original system with fish-oil (different to snake-oil) and stash it away till later. Like I said before, loud horns will save you, loud bikes only bring unnecessary attention.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now another question is.. is there any pipes out there available for the CTX or ones that are compatible for it?

I've been looking and can't seem to find any. People were telling me to look at Cobra but they don't have anything for the CTX

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
The CTX is too new for much to be out there. Loud pipe won't necessarily save lives anymore what with cars and trucks having much better sound shielding and sound systems than before. I find I only notice the noise when the bikes are either beside or in front. Hi-Viz gear will do you more good than overly loud pipes.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I wonder if the Honda NC700 aftermarket pipes would fit the CTX? They seem to have similarities and possibly the exhaust would match up. I have a Dan Moto exhaust coming for the NC700X in my garage and they sound great on that bike IMO. Lots of companies make aftermarket cans for that bike.
Ride down to the Honda dealer and take a look at the NC700X and see if they look like they match up to your frame. Just a thought.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wonder if the Honda NC700 aftermarket pipes would fit the CTX? They seem to have similarities and possibly the exhaust would match up. I have a Dan Moto exhaust coming for the NC700X in my garage and they sound great on that bike IMO. Lots of companies make aftermarket cans for that bike.
Ride down to the Honda dealer and take a look at the NC700X and see if they look like they match up to your frame. Just a thought.
thats a good suggestion, definitely something to look into. a lot of measuring but worth if it we can get something to easily work!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
pipe size may but bracets are very different. wait for aftermarket slip on font modify or drill out original. why? because when u sell or trade bone stock brings the most money. mods rarely get back what you have in them.

Reactions: fjones

·
Registered
3 Posts
Removing pipe?

Soooo i went an entirely separate direction on this and thought you may be interested or at least everyone will have an opinion on. I removed the entire rear muffler right where it attaches to the Right Rear peg. I unbolted it from there as well as unattached it from the exhaust system and simply removed it. The bike sounds really really nice and mean, which some people may like. The advantage here is that should you not like the difference you can simply place the exhaust back on. it took only about 5 minutes star to finish. I can post a video on how to do it if people are interested but its super simple. there no modification other than taking out a few screws. I am going to give Honda a call in the morning just to make sure this doesn't void any warranties and wont damage anything. as long as that is true i have a much better sounding bike in 5 minutes with no damage or cost :D

any opinions on whether i should have the injection returned are welcome. As soon as i get the all clear from the dealer I will get it on a Dyno and report back with any changes in fuel economy and necessary changes to make the bike still run at peak performance.

(this also takes quite a bit of weight off the bike and address the fact that a lot of people, me NOT included, think that the exhaust is unsightly for some reason)

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
imtempid....

I can guess that your Honda dealer would void the warranty if you run with no muffler. I have not seen any tuners advertising to re-turn the computer on the CTX and I doubt Honda will.

If you took it to a smog shop before you removed the muffler and got a fuel ratio and then take it off and measure again I think it would measure lean.

Because I think that your bike will run lean. it will eventually burn the valves with the excess heat (might even see it on the temp gage) if you run it at a steady high speed ride like freeway running at 65-70mph for any substantial length of time because I don't think the oxygen sensor can adjust enough.

also I think loosing the back pressure will lesson the low end torque. Since the computer limits the rpms I don't think you will have any gain in very high engine revs either,

Better sounding exhause is in your mind and most riders like things quiet and would probably view the change as loud not nicer.

that's my opinion.

Reactions: jmc and Effem Tee

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The CTX is too new for much to be out there. Loud pipe won't necessarily save lives anymore what with cars and trucks having much better sound shielding and sound systems than before. I find I only notice the noise when the bikes are either beside or in front. Hi-Viz gear will do you more good than overly loud pipes.
When people talk about "loud pipes save lives" I always say "they give licenses to the deaf, but not the blind". Invest in better lights/headlight modulators rather than loud pipes. Not only will you be more visible and cagers notice you better, your ears will thank you as well!

·
Registered
842 Posts
My experience with after market pipes has not been good: a very expensive Leo Vince for my Kymco PS250 resulted in too many problems later on, from carb, to tune ups, to failing my state's emissions. I'm staying stock, and loving the purr...

In my MSF Basic rider course many years ago the instructor nailed it: "Loud pipes just tell you a bike is somewhere." Low frequency sounds do not denote direction very well at all [that's why you can put your woofer anywhere in your TV room]l.

Ride Often, Ride Safe,
f

·
Registered
3 Posts
So as a quick follow up. You are correct, Honda does not want to mess with the bike at all. However, they did tell me they will not void the entire warranty as long as the bike is properly tuned. I am going to have to sit down and discuss that whole mess with them later but for now i am moving forward with testing so everyone can get the data :)

There is a company where i live that is willing to try installing a power commander on the bike then dragging it on a dyno for a few trials. This will help with a few things. I plan to collect all the data of a run before removal and after removal of the exhaust as well as get a custom map done so that the engine will be safely and properly tuned to run without a muffler. To be very clear the only part i removed is the silver muffler to the right side of the bike nothing else. The bike has a deep growl but as pointed out by several people this is not always the sound everyone wants. I am merely collecting data on how the bike looks, sounds and runs without the exhaust to help those looking for a different sound make an informed and safe decision since no after market pipes are currently available.

The data i will try to collect from the dyno before the removal of the muffler, after the removal of the muffler, and after the retune with the power commander are:

mpg
db of noise at 5 feet
torque
overall run of mix in the engine (ie. rich or lean)

when all is said and done my local shop has quoted me $650 for the install of the power commander, the power commander unit itself, and 3 pulls on the dyno for the map and tune. If this all works out i will try to get any data i can from the map so that i can pass that on to anyone looking to try this modification in the future.

Hopefully when all is said and done I will be able to provide a setup that runs safely and efficiently, while changing the sound of the bike. With the power commander and the custom map i should be able to avoid the problem of burning the valves caused the motor running lean. The theory being that the power commander will help compensate for a lack of back pressure from the muffler.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone done the bafflectomy yet? A vid or sound clip would be great, who will be the first and forever known as the man that did the cheap muffler mod first!

A legend........if it works and sounds good.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Has anyone done the bafflectomy yet? A vid or sound clip would be great, who will be the first and forever known as the man that did the cheap muffler mod first!

A legend........if it works and sounds good.

You could step up and be the first. I am sure most would take a look or listen to a video clip. I doubt many would change their muffler at the going prices for slip on exhausts and the hassles that go with them legally.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts