CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for a cheap alternative to buying both the backrest brackets and rear carrier in order to mount a Bestem 2012 top case.

If anyone has any pictures of the backrest brackets; how they mount; a diagram that came with the brackets; or an internet link that shows something about the install, please send it on this thread or to me in a PM. The Honda website doesn't show a picture of how the whole set up works or even a picture of the brackets, and I'm 100 miles from the nearest Honda dealer.

The Bestem case comes with a mounting plate and brake light kit for $80 with good reviews and is 42 liters; has a one-key operation for locking and removing, which is very reasonable I think in price, but I'm having problems with the cost of the Honda rear carrier and backrest brackets to mount them. The list price comes up to about $280. Either Ebay or Amazon (I forget which) has them for $270, and that's the lowest price I can find, but I'm thinking that I could construct a rear carrier from a cut piece of poly cutting board or something and save big bucks. And if I can understand where and how the brackets attach, I could have my uncle build me something that would work out of sheet metal and paint it black. Looking at the bike, I can't imagine how anything attaches to it.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Greg,
I purchased the brackets and backrest for my CTX700N. If you do not have the passenger grab handles, there are actually 2 sets of brackets you need.

The plastic side panels have to be removed to access the mount points. (2) small inserts are removed from the side panels to allow the brackets to be mounted and are sealed with a rubber insert replacing the plastic insert. Riser bushings are fitted through the holes in the rubber inserts. One longer than the other to make the brackets sit properly. I honestly don't remember which go in front holes and which in back!

Honestly, as an owner of a CNC machine shop, I could not produce something to replace this bracket system for the price. With that being said, somewhere I read the load capacity on the luggage rack is very low so you may need some additional support regardless. No interest here in a top case, so honestly I did not pay much attention to what could be fabricated for additional capacity. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have to agree, unless you have access to a machine shop and can weld (and paint), you're not going to be able to "make" anything on the cheap. Heck, just the time would add way up.

Honda's brackets are solid as a rock. I was impressed by how strong these things feel. I've picked the back of my wife's CTX completely up by the hand rails, and would definitely grab it there if I dropped it. My mounting plate for my 47 liter Givi top case hasn't arrived yet, so the case isn't mounted yet. But think about how much weight you're going to have cantilevered off of that luggage rack (mount). I feel pretty good about it with that Honda rack.

I would just bite the bullet and get the Honda rack. Even if someone else makes something, I don't think will be as good and it would probably cost almost as much, and I think you might be waiting a very long time since Honda already makes a rack (so there is no nonexistant hole to fill). Also, I do have some experiences trying "other things" to save a few bucks. After those tries didn't work as I had hoped, I ended up with OEM stuff. So you end up spending more than if you would've just gone OEM I'm the first place.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
unless you have made stuff before that worked, I agree with the last two and I am a pretty cheap old guy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also installed the Honda inner supports and rear carrier. Due to how the brackets are mounted through the plastic rear quarters and the sealing rubber grommet required, fabricating something that looks as clean will be difficult. Waiting for an aftermarket product may take a long time and one may never materialize.

I already had a Givi trunk and mount plate and expected the Honda bracket to cost what it does. However, I seriously considered fabricating something that would sit on the rear seat and use the hooks on the bike for attachment. That would make swinging my leg over the bike a chore so I forked over the cash for the OEM. A tad too expensive for what it is and what its capacity is listed for, but I am very happy with it now.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see now that the brackets have a complicated install. I was expecting to find somewhere on the rear sides of the bike where they would simply bolt on. After taking a close look at the bike, I got confused as to how anything would work.

After your great explanations, I now realize that I have to get the brackets, but I'm not sold on the carrier. All I need is something that I can bolt to the brackets that will attach to the Bestem top case. It will be mostly covered. I've seen some Youtube videos. If I go with the Honda carrier, there seems to be no advantage mounting the case. The case supports have to be modified to fit the Honda carrier.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm learning some more...

I found installation instructions for the brackets for the CTX700N. According to the instructions on the Honda Powersports website, once the inner supports are installed (which I've been told I already have installed with the fairing model that come with the grab handles), I do not need to remove the side panels; only install the brackets with the bolts and nuts that are under the caps of the grab handles.

http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/MAIN010.aspx

My only question now is this...can the grab handles and the brackets be integrated together, or must I give up the grab handles in order to mount the brackets? The instructions and diagrams on Honda's website show only the inner supports, brackets, and rear carrier instructions. I found this by downloading installation instructions for the rear carrier. But as far as I know, there are no instructions for the grab handles as accessories, so I can't see how this all works together.

I've got some ideas for a home made rear carrier that I can paint black that will mount to the brackets and provide a perfect platform for the Bestem case and will not require that I cut one of the supports that come with the case. In either case, it will require modification. Either modifying hardware to mount to the brackets or modifying hardware that comes with the case. Of course the latter would be easier, but the former would be cheaper. Both will be plenty strong enough.

But you guys/gals are absolutely right about the brackets. I'll need to get the $129 brackets from Honda. I didn't realize how ungeneric this system is. I was hoping it was simply some holes in the bike somewhere with female threads, but now I see it would be a machine shop job and that's out of the question.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Do the side panels have to be removed if I have the CTX700D, with the grab bars already as stock? It looks like I can just remove the grab handles and then install the bracket under the grab handles, without removing the side panels?

It seems the 700N needs to have the side panels removed in order to install the support. But the 700D (fairing) doesn't need the side panels removed. My bracket and carrier should be in next week. Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Do the side panels have to be removed if I have the CTX700D, with the grab bars already as stock? It looks like I can just remove the grab handles and then install the bracket under the grab handles, without removing the side panels?

It seems the 700N needs to have the side panels removed in order to install the support. But the 700D (fairing) doesn't need the side panels removed. My bracket and carrier should be in next week. Thanks for any advice.
The side panels do not have to be removed to install the backrest brackets. First unbolt the grab handles. Select the appropriate spacers and bolts supplied and sandwich the brackets between them and the grab handles. Bolt them all down. Then bolt the carrier to the brackets. Easy!

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
jfc,

Thanks for responding. This should be a very easy project. I will take pics and things and submit this after I get done to the "How to" section.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lots of great information for installing the rear carrier , just looking for clarification on the parts I will need for installing the rear carrier (but NOT the backrest) on to my fairing model based on what was ALREADY installed when I took delivery, namely:
-saddlebags
-rear grips

Obviously I'll need the rear carrier itself but will I also need some kind of mounting bracket, even though the saddelbags are already installed?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Lots of great information for installing the rear carrier , just looking for clarification on the parts I will need for installing the rear carrier (but NOT the backrest) on to my fairing model based on what was ALREADY installed when I took delivery, namely:
-saddlebags
-rear grips

Obviously I'll need the rear carrier itself but will I also need some kind of mounting bracket, even though the saddelbags are already installed?
Thanks!
You will need the backrest brackets to mount the rear carrier. The backrest brackets go on first, then the bag brackets and then the passenger grab handle. All of these are sandwiched together. Then install the rear carrier. Be sure not to tighten any of the bolts completely until everything is assemble. Cobraguy does a fantastic job of explaining all of this in the how to section under saddlebag installation. Just skip to the final assembly part.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Got it, thanks very much... off to shop the www.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
For the CTX 700D there is currently no aftermarket parts available for side or top case mounting without modification or separate individual fabrication. SW-Motech is working on it, GIVI is working on it, Fehling is an unknown.

My solution is to use a GIVI Wingrack2 mount and I have mounting brackets in fabrication. This solution does not require the OEM luggage rack in any form as the complete kit includes the mounting plate for the top box.

I am doing this because I have two GIVI E41 side cases from my previous ride. And I am planning an extensive touring event this summer.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The only problem I see using the wing rack is having all the weight of a top box and saddlebags hanging over the break light instead of more centered over the rear wheel. It also mounts all three much higher than the OEM system. This could pose some handling problems. The OEM backrest brackets and carrier are solid as a rock and cheaper plus they come with the necessary spacers and hardware. Fabricating saddlebag brackets to mount the Givi boxes and using the OEM brackets for the back would seem a better and cheaper way to go. I went this route mounting Bestem boxes as saddlebags. Givi boxes only need the mushrooms and quick latch to function. All can be ordered as a kit and installed on a custom fabricated bracket for the saddlebags.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Greg I wish I could buy the Honda carrier and backrest brackets in Australia for $280. Over here Honda want nearly $600 for them. I have just ordered them off the internet from the USA but with the cost of freight and the present rate of exchange they have still cost me
$360. Fortunately with the fairing model I don't need the support arms.

Next thing is to buy a top box. I will probably buy a GIVI. Cant find the Bestem here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JeffR, I was wondering about this, I see the install instructions from Honda show you can have the saddle bags, backrest mount, and grab bars all installed. However, when I tried to do so, the bolts which came with the 700D were not long enough to reach the threads. However, I didn't see on the instructions the need for separate bolts. I wonder if my kit was missing them, or I'm buggering something up...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts