CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All.

I wanted a simple "back seat pack or bag" for my new CTX. I found this Nelson-Rigg Tail bag and I think I like it.

Got it on Amazon.com for $96 bucks. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AC6Y9S6/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First, no comments on my bike being dirty! I had to ride in the rain and I HATE dirt on it. I promise I'll wash it later today.

Notice I secured the bag to the rear foot pegs rather than to the tie-down anchor. 2 reasons for this. The pegs provide more "forward pull" on the bag. Secondly, I'm trying to minimize the surface area where the strap makes contact with the painted plastic.

I'll be experimenting over the next few days with different anchor points.

** The only downside for now is getting my foot/leg over the bag when I mount/dismount the bike.

I didn't think to take a picture of the inside of the bag -- let me know if there is any interest and I will.

Paul/

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Hi All.

I wanted a simple "back seat pack or bag" for my new CTX. I found this Nelson-Rigg Tail bag and I think I like it.

Got it on Amazon.com for $96 bucks. Here's the link:

Amazon.com: Nelson-Rigg (CL-1040-TP) Black Jumbo Expandable Tail Bag: Automotive

First, no comments on my bike being dirty! I had to ride in the rain and I HATE dirt on it. I promise I'll wash it later today.

Notice I secured the bag to the rear foot pegs rather than to the tie-down anchor. 2 reasons for this. The pegs provide more "forward pull" on the bag. Secondly, I'm trying to minimize the surface area where the strap makes contact with the painted plastic.

I'll be experimenting over the next few days with different anchor points.

** The only downside for now is getting my foot/leg over the bag when I mount/dismount the bike.

I didn't think to take a picture of the inside of the bag -- let me know if there is any interest and I will.

Paul/
Nice large bag.
As far as getting on and off, that can be a problem with tail bags. So that is why I have soft saddle bags at the same cost.

If you could put some foam under it then it could rest farther back on seat. Might help getting on. Which also means no back rest. One thing that could be used to isolate the straps from rubbing the paint could be the some soft seatbelt cover tube that is sold at lots of auto parts places and even Walmart. I have seen them in fake lamb skin. Just my 2 cent idea.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Depending on the bulk of your straps, and how they tighten, it is possible to remove the seat; tighten straps around the seat; and then lock the seat back on; keeping the straps up and out of the way of the bike body. It's clean looking and very sturdy from my experience.

Locking the seat back in place actually cinches the box or bag just a little tighter then it will be strapped on with the seat off. The seat is then a little harder to remove and install, because the straps now have constant tension since the locked seat is pushing the straps in to a curved shape, and the straps, being tight, don't want to be curved. That's why I stated that latching the seat back on actually snugs it even more.

I've got my box strapped to the seat with two straps. From under the seat, with the seat on a bench upside down, I tightened the front strap directly over the document hooks and behind the front seat posts with the buckle center under the seat. I then pushed the strap with my fingers to get it under the document hooks. The buckle is centered between the two document hooks and underneath them out of the way. The front strap will not go anywhere and may be all that is needed for a light bag.

The rear strap is a little tougher. Since the seat narrows towards the rear, it must be tied and snugged to the front strap from underneath to keep it from sliding rearward and coming loose. Also, the rear strap can only be strapped so far rearward, because it must be at least an inch or so in front of the rear latch on the seat. Otherwise, it will interfere with the locking of the seat back on the bike. Tightening the two straps together also ensures that the front strap will stay in place and will help tighten both straps even more than one can do by pulling and cinching individually.

On the particular bag shown in the pic., it looks like to me that it could be held firmly enough with just a front strap.

With lashing straps this works. One can get them tight enough. With buckle-type cinching straps, I don't think it will work, because one can't cinch it down as well under the seat as one can outside where there is more room to work with. Ratchet straps won't work, because there would be too much bulk under the seat to put the seat back on, and I don't think there is enough room for a ratchet on the small amount of space on the outside of the seat.

P.S. I've now put an even bigger, yet uglier box on my bike strapped this way but don't have a pic yet, and I painted my straps black where they show with a black marker. I can buy black lashing straps, but I have to order them, so I'm just using what I've got.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts