CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I lifted myself up on the bikes foot pegs going over a very deep pot hole in the road, During this time I ruptured another one of my disc in my lower back. Looks like I am done riding for the summer and it really sucks. Just wanted to let those know who also have back issues as I do please be very careful when lifting yourself up on your foot pegs and please

use caution when doing so, I would hate for one of you to hurt yourself like I have, Is not my first disc that has been injured I have injured 6 of mine, But the pain does not get better it hurts like you know what. Hope you all our enjoying your summer, Ride for me. Thank You

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sorry to hear. Forward pegs are not very practical for standing up on. Of course, two wheels make it much easier to avoid obstacles.

Hope you heal up soon.

Reactions: hondabum

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
howdy and yuppers and i have no problem remembering how that feels. keep on petting the honda and promising to take it out in the fresh air soon.

here's to hope
ken

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Very Unfortunate for youo_O...hope you get completely well soon!
I'm thinking I should wear my lower back support and use my AirHawk on every ride, which may lessen the impact under similar conditions. Plz post updates on your improvement.

·
Registered
921 Posts
BAck injuries are never fun. Hope you are feeling better soon. If you have access, a good physiotherapist can make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Hoping you feel better, and are back riding soon.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I will say it again, and sorry if offending anyone. That rear shock is bottom of the bottom, garbage, trash, unacceptable, terrible, POS, a joke. I am 150LBS and even me I seriously literally CURSED OUT LOUD a million times inside my helmet every time I hit a bump. And so did my wife, actually screamed, right in my ears via bluetooth, which drove me raving mad, LOL, in addition to my own pain. And no, I don't have back problems.

·
Super Moderator
3,108 Posts
I will say it again, and sorry if offending anyone. That rear shock is bottom of the bottom, garbage, trash, unacceptable, terrible, POS, a joke. I am 150LBS and even me I seriously literally CURSED OUT LOUD a million times inside my helmet every time I hit a bump. And so did my wife, actually screamed, right in my ears via bluetooth, which drove me raving mad, LOL, in addition to my own pain. And no, I don't have back problems.
Thanks for sharing, but if you do what I did and swap out the shock, for as little as $100 you can stop stop whining and start enjoying the CTX again.

Whoops! I forgot!! You don't even ride one any more. 😢

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Thanks for sharing, but if you do what I did and swap out the shock, for as little as $100 you can stop stop whining and start enjoying the CTX again.

Whoops! I forgot!! You don't even ride one any more. 😢
I see you are one of the offended, LOL,

·
Registered
567 Posts
What's offensive is someone who no longer owns the bike coming on here and ragging on it. Seriously, why are you here?

Posted by you, waaaaay back in 2017:

Discussion Starter • #1 May 27, 2017 (Edited)
Glad to be a member - lots of useful info :)

Just got me a 2014 DCT with 1000 mi. On the odo 4 days ago. The bike is literally brand new.

Long story short, I finally found the 2014 DCT WITH 1000 miles on it, within 75 miles range from me. Got it for 4.7K, plus 200 bucks tax and registration, so I am happy. :)

I really like the bike, and as a non experienced rider, it has all I want and need, and is very easy to ride. It has been more than 20 years since I last rode, and I got my refresh course riding my friend's 1200 Suzuki Bandit for a month. Hated the thing. Well, it is pushing 20 years old, but still runs good. Just hated the top heaviness, and definitely this bike suffers not opening it up and for average speed cruising.

Looking forward to putting miles on the CTX :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
What's offensive is someone who no longer owns the bike coming on here and ragging on it. Seriously, why are you here?

Posted by you, waaaaay back in 2017:

Discussion Starter • #1 May 27, 2017 (Edited)
Glad to be a member - lots of useful info :)

Just got me a 2014 DCT with 1000 mi. On the odo 4 days ago. The bike is literally brand new.

Long story short, I finally found the 2014 DCT WITH 1000 miles on it, within 75 miles range from me. Got it for 4.7K, plus 200 bucks tax and registration, so I am happy. :)

I really like the bike, and as a non experienced rider, it has all I want and need, and is very easy to ride. It has been more than 20 years since I last rode, and I got my refresh course riding my friend's 1200 Suzuki Bandit for a month. Hated the thing. Well, it is pushing 20 years old, but still runs good. Just hated the top heaviness, and definitely this bike suffers not opening it up and for average speed cruising.

Looking forward to putting miles on the CTX :)

You are not making any case. Because I did own it, and I know about it, and the reasons I don't have it anymore. Someone injured his back on it, guess what, because of the crappy shock.

And according to you and Bob, I cannot comment on my experience. It has a crappy shock, that was my observation about, if someone changes it and improves it good for them. It does not change the fact it is an observation about the bike, it is true, and the reason maybe the guy was asking why he took such a serious blow. I mean, SERIOUSLY, Bob stated HE CHANGED THE SHOCK, so how exactly my OBSERVATION is not true?

Jesus F Christ, you would think I DID NOT PUT "sorry if I offending anyone" in there." Let me change the offended to butthurt. :p

Oh, you don't expect me to answer why I am still here, right? Because that is the silliest question asked on any forum.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I seriuosly doubt "Someone injured his back on it, guess what, because of the crappy shock."
He was standing on the forward pegs. They are in a position that is not conducive to doing that.
More likely the strain put on his back from that effort was a mojor contributing factor.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sorry to hear of your experience. The large Kuryakyn floor boards help out a lot. The feet forward cruiser seating position is the worst configuration for someone with a bad back. I ride in an area where there are no pot holes and the road surface is well maintained thus I have no complaints of the suspension. I grew up riding the rural back roads of south western Pa. and there is no way I could ride this bike in those pot hole ridden conditions. No disrespect against the bike but it has a narrow fit in the riding conditions that you plan to use it. To provide the low seat height they had to limit the suspension travel. The CTX claims 4.3 inches of travel but after sag I think it is much less. An NC 700/750 my be a better fit for your riding area with 5.9 inches of travel and foot pegs closer to straight beneath you to better absorb the bumps.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Bob, sorry if it has been covered before, but do you have a link to the info for this magical inexpensive shock swap?

Reactions: Ira

·
Super Moderator
3,108 Posts
Check his signature. ;)
True enough. For the longest time, I have had those "hot links" to take readers directly to projects of general interest. However, checking today, some of those links no longer work in the new forum software. When I went to fix it, the new software error trapped me and announced that multiple signature links were no longer permitted (even though more than one still works!).

I'll have to waste my time & play with it to figure out how to get around that dumb change. No sense in asking for it to be fixed inasmuch as those in control in Canada have little interest in what we want down here, especially those of us who have actually paid to support them. 🤬

For @AngryBob, the post about the $100 rear shock swap was done circa June 2018 in my extensive trike conversion thread. I did a search and came up with the following link for you:

Enjoy! 😎

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
77 Posts
Ok I have a question about the rear shock, and the seat. I seem to have the very opposite experience on my bike - I think both are pretty great. The seat is very soft, and the shock is almost bouncy, which is 95% nice. The other 5% is when I hit a big enough bump that I feel like I’m airborne for a moment. Is the more common experience that they are both very stiff and unforgiving?

As far as I know both my seat and shock are stock (the seat looks like every picture I’ve seen of other CTX700s), and I got the bike with 998 miles on the odometer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts