CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add some auxiliary lights to the front of my CTX700, and I'm wondering if the bike can handle the additional load/amperage safely. I'm looking at 2 ea, 20w LED lights, or 40 watts/12volts = 4 amps. Can the bike safely add this extra load? Thanks!

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you swap out your headlight for LED a well, no problem.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would say that the system by design can handle up to an additional 7.5 amps. Download the service manual using the link and look at the wiring diagram on page 23-3, you can see that Honda has provided an ignition switch relay controlled unused optional accessory circuit fused at 7.5 amps. Look at the bottom right hand corner where it is labeled #1 fuse [OP]. The relay sits right beside it next to the starter relay. Follow the violet –red wire up from #1 up to the 6p connector labeled alarm [optional]. This is under the right gas tank cover illustrated on page 1-39. If you have the faring model the violet –red wire also tees off and runs up behind the head light. You can see it top left above the combination meter labeled CTX700D ONLY – OPTION. The location of this connector is illustrated on page 1-25 labeled 2P {BLACK} CONNECTOR {optional}.
http://www.greenknights36.com/html/files/Pictures/Temp/ServiceManual.pdf

·
Registered
928 Posts
I would say that the system by design can handle up to an additional 7.5 amps. Download the service manual using the link and look at the wiring diagram on page 23-3, you can see that Honda has provided an ignition switch relay controlled unused optional accessory circuit fused at 7.5 amps. Look at the bottom right hand corner where it is labeled #1 fuse [OP]. The relay sits right beside it next to the starter relay. Follow the violet –red wire up from #1 up to the 6p connector labeled alarm [optional]. This is under the right gas tank cover illustrated on page 1-39. If you have the faring model the violet –red wire also tees off and runs up behind the head light. You can see it top left above the combination meter labeled CTX700D ONLY – OPTION. The location of this connector is illustrated on page 1-25 labeled 2P {BLACK} CONNECTOR {optional}.
Keep in mind this additional accessory circuit is designed to run the optional power outlet, heated grips, and other electronic accessories that may or may not be installed yet... If you are using them or plan to run those in the future, keep your power draw in check.

Alternately, it's not that hard to run an additional relay off the battery that is turned on with the accessory switched line...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the right side cover off and found the OP violet/red wire. It is very small, like 22-24 gage wire maybe smaller. I understand solenoids, but not relays, although I think they basically do the same thing. With a solenoid, the big wires do carry the current once the switch is on. I'm wondering is this tiny OP violet/red wire designed to go to the switch, and the load connect to another place...? I just don't see how that tiny wire can carry a 7.5 amp load at 12vdc. Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Reactions: JCW

·
Registered
540 Posts
Outie555 in the video is doing basically what you want to do but with adding usb ports instead of lights. By using the violet red wire to control the relay to send the high amp current to your accessories through the relay contacts and not your wiring harness will give you peace of mind that the wiring harness is safe and isolated outside of the high amp draw. Think ahead while you have it apart and size the wire from the battery up to the front through the relay to accommodate the lights and also usb ports for your phone and maybe a GPS unit in the future. An automotive solenoid, a relay and a 220 volt contactor like what you have in your AC condenser controlled by your 24 volt thermostat basically work on the same principal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks!!! You guys are awesome. I get it now. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this and link the videos. I really appreciate it! What threw me off is the existing OEM relay connected to it. It looks like the wise idea is to take the small purple/red relay wire above the engine and use it to turn on a separate relay and connect the load to the new/separate relay and ignore wherever the existing OEM relay load connects.

·
Registered
928 Posts
the purple/red wire is a signal wire. Very low load on it. Even at 7.5A, it is such a short run that there isnt much concern. 24 awg is roughly 30 ohms per 1000 ft.... that wire length is 10-15 foot worst case which equates to 0.45 ohms. That little of a resistance will not allow the wire to heat up enough to cause damage, especially on a 12v system.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The install instructions for the accessory socket plugs it directly into the 6p connector under the tank cover and the heated grips plug into the same circuit, 2p connector behind headlight. So at least Honda must have felt confident that the circuit is sized appropriately to use both of these accessories at the same time. Interestingly the 6p connector is labeled alarm (optional). Possibly the HISS or Honda Ignition Security System also uses this circuit on other models.
https://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08T70-MJF-A30.pdf
https://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08V70-MJF-A00.pdf

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! I also like to add LED brake lights on the rear for visibility. I took the left side under seat cover off and made that connection pretty easy (as you know they are super low current draw). As soon as my relay and fog lights come in, I'll finish the circuit we are discussing on the front of the bike. I already have a USB plug fused directly from the battery on a switch. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. It is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700ND
23 Posts
I would like to add some auxiliary lights to the front of my CTX700, and I'm wondering if the bike can handle the additional load/amperage safely. I'm looking at 2 ea, 20w LED lights, or 40 watts/12volts = 4 amps. Can the bike safely add this extra load? Thanks!
I upgraded my headlight to a H4 PIAA Extreme White Plus (Anti-Vibration) bulb and had installed the Denali D2 Trioptics for my auxiliary lights. I believe the Denali runs at 1.6 amps. The combination gives me the visibility I was looking for at night.
Cheers ✌

1 - 14 of 14 Posts