CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking a big trip to Reno in the near future and as usual I like to do the trip in one day. It takes me about 13 hours and 700 miles to make it happen. I usually get on the road about 2AM and taking advantage of the dark seems to make to time go faster. But one thing that I am dealing with recently is maintaining my throttle for an extended period of time. So what I have done is created an extension on my handle bars which attaches to the right handle bar end weight. This allows me to lay hold of a stationary grip which then lets me mimic a ATV throttle control feature.
Actually I have the best of three options since I am also using a crampbuster paddle for palm throttling as well as thumb throttling.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
howdy Gordon
i'm so tickled to see you on the forum and still able to make your trip.
i'm peckin this with my remaining good hand from haifa israel soon to move to beer sheva and wishing that i could make a trip to see relatives and friends but have been recently told i'm in no shapr to travel so i'll have to wave bye-bye from here.
shalom then my friend
ken

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm taking a big trip to Reno in the near future and as usual I like to do the trip in one day. It takes me about 13 hours and 700 miles to make it happen. I usually get on the road about 2AM and taking advantage of the dark seems to make to time go faster. But one thing that I am dealing with recently is maintaining my throttle for an extended period of time. So what I have done is created an extension on my handle bars which attaches to the right handle bar end weight. This allows me to lay hold of a stationary grip which then lets me mimic a ATV throttle control feature.
Actually I have the best of three options since I am also using a crampbuster paddle for palm throttling as well as thumb throttling.
Buy a cramp buster for less than ten dollars, it’s safer than throttle locks and your palm holds the throttle where you want it and your hand and wrists don’t get tired or sore! Order off of Amazon!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have the Brakeaway Motorcycle Cruise Control and i love it. Very Safe. I have taken a number of long trips with it and I am glad I made the investment. A little pricey.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a cramp buster and the go cruise throttle lock. I use the cramp buster often and the go cruise here and there. Both are good at giving me a break when needed. Around $10 for the cramp buster and under $20 for the go cruise. Inexpensive and effective!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My ride to Reno was long and arduous. I chose to take a new route which took me down I-5 to Sacramento cal. and then over to Reno. But amazingly it established my best long distance run at 800 miles in a day. I don't ever want to do it again as long as I live. However the thumb throttling did work to intermittently relieve crampiness and I appreciated having the many options to choose from.

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
You may be the record holder for the CTX700 for single day.

What was the worst part physically? How many hours was it?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You may be the record holder for the CTX700 for single day.

What was the worst part physically? How many hours was it?
My body just felt run down and sore: especially my shoulders. But I did something that lifted alot of it off by going to a mall and spending five bucks for fifteen minutes in a massage chair. However in the middle of the night my legs went into major charley horse cramping because of the long hours in one leg position. I had to get up and go walk it off as well as up my intake of magnesium. The only part of me that survived was my butt due to my Russell Day long seat. From what I have heard the guys that do the "Iron Butt competition" (1k miles) swear by them and so do I. The trip took 14 hours with gas stops and one stop for food.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
shalom Gordon
are you back and i hope it was a worthwhile trip.
i would be happy to put up with the pain to simply be able to go where i want and when. i think my longest day on the ctx was aroud 600 miles and by then the discomfort doesn't get worse but the afteraffects may.
all the best my absent but not forgotten friemd.
ken

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me add that a main reason I came up with the idea was because I started to experience some pain in my wrist from the constant revving motion. The thumb throttle has allowed my wrist to heal some and more healing I suspect is on the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts