CTX 700 Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
All Honda motorcycles 1990's to the present CTX's.

Well, each to his own, they are the best for browsing their site and falling asleep. YAWN. What happened to exciting motorcycles there? A look at the specs (and price for them) of the CB1100 will convince you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I meant the Z900RS. I wear a 30" inseam, so a number of bikes with standard seating were out of the question. My R1200R, with its 30.5" seat height, is *just* flat-footable for me, but I would never go that tall again.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I would say bikes that are forward or mid controls is in the search parameter for me; however, everything depends on the sitting position for me. For example, sitting on the z900rs standard felt more comfortable than the cafe. However, I need to ride them both to confirm my preference :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi richh,

only one advice: do not hurry wirh your decision. My first idea was to buy a Kawa Vulcan, CTX was the second choice unless my beloved wife said that she never will sit on the Kawa but the CTX. So sometimes I have some regrets but it is like beeing married.... There are a lot of beautiful girls around but you always know what you loose but less what you may get. And as others already recommende, try others. Maybe you can join a rocker chapter.... :))

Bye
Frenchie

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Hi richh,

only one advice: do not hurry wirh your decision. My first idea was to buy a Kawa Vulcan, CTX was the second choice unless my beloved wife said that she never will sit on the Kawa but the CTX. So sometimes I have some regrets but it is like beeing married.... There are a lot of beautiful girls around but you always know what you loose but less what you may get. And as others already recommende, try others. Maybe you can join a rocker chapter.... :))

Bye
Frenchie
Frenchie,

you are 100% correct. my intent is not to make a purchase this year, my intent is to use this riding season to look at other bikes to determine if there is a different bike that I could transition that would eliminate my concern about the CTX. If I decide that I found a successor, I would be looking to make purchases sometime next year. If I find from this process that I could not find a bike that matches what I am looking for, then I would keep the CTX and continue with happy riding :)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Frenchie,

you are 100% correct. my intent is not to make a purchase this year, my intent is to use this riding season to look at other bikes to determine if there is a different bike that I could transition that would eliminate my concern about the CTX. If I decide that I found a successor, I would be looking to make purchases sometime next year. If I find from this process that I could not find a bike that matches what I am looking for, then I would keep the CTX and continue with happy riding :)
That’s is OK, but you are trading the C, that’s not gonna worth much in 1 year...

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I don't know how this popped up now, or how i missed it last year but here's my 2 cents worth.
Every one of us on here, especially us older riders, has a first bike and a love affair with it. We sold it or traded it and regretted it ever since. Then we spend years trying to find it again.
The very first brand new, almost perfect bike I bought was a 1982 Honda GL500I Silverwing Interstate. I rode that thing until 1988 when I sold it to buy a house. Then, I just never felt right until in 2006 I found one in Kansas City and bought it and had it shipped to me here in Houston. It needed a lot of love but I had one again. And I still have it to this day.
I do not ride it anymore. My son in law rides it. But every time I see it in the garage I get a warm and good feeling.
So, go ahead and make your deal.
We'll see you here again in 20 or 30 years.
The best of luck to you.
Ross

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Keep an eye on the local shops. Several around me have test ride days. Go to them and try them there without making any commitments.
Really good advice. Harley shops especially are known to have test drive days, often in combination with barbecues and other cool things.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've already decided on the 2020 can am. The last version didn't fit me well, my wife has one, an 18. But throwing my leg over the 20 was like coming home. 1330 cc. Semi automatic. Gobs of storage. Not going to sell the C until I determine I'm not riding it enough and then I'll let someone else get the fun of it. I've had it for 5 years now so time for something else for an experience. The 18 was redesigned on the suspension and you can tear through curves without that snowmobile feeling like your gonna get tossed of the high side. I've heard the 20 is even better.

Sport bikes are out of the question. Kill my back and wrists. I'd hate that thing. Adventure bikes I wouldn't use. To me all marketing hype for my riding style. Cafe? Nah. Gold wing? Too heavy for what I want. On two the C is just about perfect for me. It's time to go three, I'll be happy just to ride open air on a good handling machine. Regular trike not that interesting to me. I like odd vehicles. Cars, mc whatever. Odd to me is good and fits my personality. I see so few of my model of car on the road and that pleases me. The can ams always get noticed. Bikers scoff but the public is always amazed. And I couldn't care less about other bikers.

In any event, it won't be until the end of season when they start giving rebates to clear them out. You can't deal on them right now. So y'all are stuck with me here for this year.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've already decided on the 2020 can am. The last version didn't fit me well,
If you don't mind would you elaborate on what they changed to make it fit you better? I am with you in that the models I have sat upon are not right for me as I am tall. Have they made it roomier? I'd be interested if that were the case. Thanks in advance for any response.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For me the Honda CTX is one of the very best bikes that I have ever owned and or operated, When you have a bad back as well as bad legs like I do the bike is a match for me in a lot of ways and I really appreciate the option of the automatic feature that the bike provides to me without me even having to worry about shifting the gears myself. If you have ever had a back surgery and or back surgeries and

you have nerve damage to your lower back as well as nerve damage in both of your legs then you know exactly what I am saying and talking about, The bike itself helps some of us in a very big way, For some of us if these features did not exist on these bikes some of us would not even be able to ride a bike period. I appreciate Honda for designing a bike with the manual feature as well as the automatic feature, Honda did a great job when they designed the bike and for that I am truly grateful, There are many things that I use

to be able to do that I am not able to do anymore such as Hunting, Bowling, Skiing, Swimming and so on but I do have the ability to ride a motorcycle with these features that have been provided to me. The only thing that they could of improved on I guess would be maybe the seat itself, I mean don't get me wrong the Honda CTX is a good looking bike and in a lot of ways it was designed very well except for the seating, When I look at my bike or I clean my bike I

simply cant help but to think **** why could they of not made and or designed a better looking seat on the bike, To me the seat looks like it does not belong on the bike itself, To me the seat just looks cheaply made. A factory leather seat of some kind would of been so much better and really would of made the bike pop so well in so many ways. Yeah I know they did certain things to cut down on the cost of the bike for the consumer, But they could of

designed a seat that would of looked better on the bike then what they designed if you ask me, I am sure others agree on this, And I know some people have a problem with the comfort when riding, I just wished they would of made the seat to look better on the bike itself not so much the comfort, They could of made a better looking seat on the bike. Anyways I have no intentions of ever parting with mine, Needless to say I like it. Thank You

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have bad back and this bike made my life better. I agree with everything u said. I hope u and i ride this bike to the end. I love my ctx ride about 8k a year with a club and i keel up with big hogs and bmws. And no one can beat us off the line. If u ever come to st louis mo i would be honored to ride with u sir.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I don’t have a bad back, but for certain I would have had one by now had I kept the C. The word “absorber” was completely missing from the rear shock absorber. :laugh: And that feet forward thing... nah...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If you don't mind would you elaborate on what they changed to make it fit you better? I am with you in that the models I have sat upon are not right for me as I am tall. Have they made it roomier? I'd be interested if that were the case. Thanks in advance for any response.
The pilot seat was given two more inches back and in streamlining the body, the whole top was lowered, more like the goldwing without the back top box. Then they lengthened the floorboards to give alot more foot positions, stretch out, or straight or tuck. Much better seating position. It also felt like they narrowed the seat just a tad, which gave a better body position.

On the older design my knees were up against the tank hump, and I was pushed too far forward. Better for shorter people. Now my knees ride alongside and somewhat in line with the top of the tank. The tank really though is still under the seat. They also allowed you to adjust the bars like on our ctx. That's a good thing. On my wife's 18 it fits her fine. But the bar position and the seating was simply not a good fit for me. I'd ride it, just not my love to ride it ride. The new one was way different, and the minute I jumped on it I knew this one would be a great fit for me. It automatically just felt perfect. Plus all the stuff they have on it. Radio, heated seats and grips, cruise, synced Bluetooth and nav.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've already decided on the 2020 can am. The last version didn't fit me well, my wife has one, an 18. But throwing my leg over the 20 was like coming home. 1330 cc. Semi automatic. Gobs of storage. Not going to sell the C until I determine I'm not riding it enough and then I'll let someone else get the fun of it. I've had it for 5 years now so time for something else for an experience. The 18 was redesigned on the suspension and you can tear through curves without that snowmobile feeling like your gonna get tossed of the high side. I've heard the 20 is even better.

Sport bikes are out of the question. Kill my back and wrists. I'd hate that thing. Adventure bikes I wouldn't use. To me all marketing hype for my riding style. Cafe? Nah. Gold wing? Too heavy for what I want. On two the C is just about perfect for me. It's time to go three, I'll be happy just to ride open air on a good handling machine. Regular trike not that interesting to me. I like odd vehicles. Cars, mc whatever. Odd to me is good and fits my personality. I see so few of my model of car on the road and that pleases me. The can ams always get noticed. Bikers scoff but the public is always amazed. And I couldn't care less about other bikers.

In any event, it won't be until the end of season when they start giving rebates to clear them out. You can't deal on them right now. So y'all are stuck with me here for this year.
What about a sidecar? If your going the 3 wheel route they are definatly an oddity with the bonus of massive storage.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The pilot seat was given two more inches back and in streamlining the body, the whole top was lowered, more like the goldwing without the back top box. Then they lengthened the floorboards to give alot more foot positions, stretch out, or straight or tuck. Much better seating position. It also felt like they narrowed the seat just a tad, which gave a better body position.

On the older design my knees were up against the tank hump, and I was pushed too far forward. Better for shorter people. Now my knees ride alongside and somewhat in line with the top of the tank. The tank really though is still under the seat. They also allowed you to adjust the bars like on our ctx. That's a good thing. On my wife's 18 it fits her fine. But the bar position and the seating was simply not a good fit for me. I'd ride it, just not my love to ride it ride. The new one was way different, and the minute I jumped on it I knew this one would be a great fit for me. It automatically just felt perfect. Plus all the stuff they have on it. Radio, heated seats and grips, cruise, synced Bluetooth and nav.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll shoot over to take a test ride. But, I have to wait for used. There are so many low mile Can Ams that come to market here in Florida. I'd be foolish not to let someone else take the hit. Always liked them but like Harley Davidson, I lways felt cramped. I ride a VFR now and am just spoiled by the roominess and comfort.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Oh I'm waiting for a demo unit, or end of season rebates too.
I'm in no hurry to get the latest and greatest. There's always going to be a low mile unit around. I'll know it when I see it. That's been proven every year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been riding for almost 60 years and now I am an old man. I thought the CTX700 is the perfect bike for me at the time with my current physical problems. That said, I always look for a new replacement after purchasing a bike. I thought the CTX was going to be my last bike, but I said that for each of the last 4 bikes I bought! I wish it had more go so I could better keep up on straightaways with friends riding bigger bikes , but that is really my only complaint now after the modifications I made. If I was younger and had fewer aches and pains I certainly would get a faster bike.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts