CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I recently saw someone post if anyone tried this shock and I looked at it on ebay, but found it cheaper on Amazon. So I thought what the heck I'll try it. It doesn't say for the CTX700 like the ebay one but I think they are the same so I got this one.

Amazon.com: Arashi 305mm /12" Universal Shock Absorber Rear Suspension for Honda NC700X NC700S 2012-2017 / NC750X NC750D Integra 750 2014-2020 Motorcycle Replacement Accessories Gold 1 Pcs : Automotive

I got it on the bike today/tonight and I spent some time cranking up the preload. I will check my sag out again in a day or two and make more adjustments.
One thing I forgot to measure is the seat height. I know it went up but I don't know by how much.
Here are my sag numbers with the stock shock and preload cranked all the way. By the way I am 6ft 290lbs.
Free length 461mm
Static sag 444mm 17mm
Rider sag 405mm 56mm

Arashi shock out of the box
Free length 485mm
Static sag 449mm 36mm
Rider sag 410mm 75mm

Arashi after some adjustment
Free length 485mm
Static sag 470mm 15mm
Rider sag 444mm 41mm

I got pretty close and took it for a test ride and at 2 clicks of rebound like they suggest it was kind of like a pogo. I changed it to 5, then 10, then 15, and settled on 20 clicks. I think it only goes to 23 clicks so its almost maxed out. Also it mounts upside down compared to the stock shock, but that's no big deal. It makes it easier to get to the preload adjuster ring.
I plan to ride it some more before I say whether or not its any good or not. We shall see how it does here the next couple days and I will post an update.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I've had a couple days riding with it, and with different rebound settings. I need to check my sag again to make sure it hasn't settled.
I want to say I am by no means a suspension expert or a track level rider. I have watched some videos on setting rebound and sag but still don't know it all.
I will start out by saying that with the stock shock it felt like I only had an inch of travel, but now it feels like I have a good amount.
Just by jumping up and sitting on the seat it felt like a pogo when I first installed it. I cranked the rebound clicker to 20 until I felt like it settled quickly.
I rode it like that on a certain road that has frequent and big bumps in the road. It was a two lane concrete highway that they paved over with asphalt. Well up north it freezes and thaws and creates frost heaves, aka bumps. They are about 1/4 mile apart and between 2-3 inches high I would guess. When I first rode down this road when the bike was stock every time I hit one of those bumps it felt like it was trying to rip the bars out of my hands and the rear of the bike was very punishing on the back. Well I already did fork springs and it helped remove the feeling of ripping the bars out of my hand to a feeling of being a very uncomfortable or harsh bump. Now with this shock it removed some of the harshness in the rear but was still a little rough on the back.
The next day I backed the rebound clicker down to 15 from 20 and rode the same road again. This time it felt better than the last. It still wasn't wallowing around in the corners or anything bad so I decided to take it down to 10 clicks.
It was even better over the harsh bumps and now it seems I need to work on the forks some more to get rid of that harshness to match the rear shock. At 10 clicks it does seem a bit floaty over some gentle dips in the road. So I went back up to 12 clicks of rebound and I think that is where I might leave it. Adjusting the shock is very simple and easy to reach. Just reach my left hand in above the rear tire and right there is the adjuster. I can't get my fingers all the way around the adjuster but about 60% or so. Enough to be able to turn it with ease and feel the clicks.

The one thing that bugged me was the preload adjustment collar. It looks like a nice machined piece. But it now has marks and burrs from using the supplied spanner wrench to adjust it.

Another issue I have is now that it has raised the seat height is my butt is hurting more quickly than it used too. It feels like the step-up to the passenger part of the seat is now pressing on my rear more. I think the rear used to sag so much before that that lip on the seat was holding me from sliding back versus now its like trying to push me forward a little. I don't how to explain it.

So I want to recheck the sag on the rear, then check the sag on the forks and get that dialed in. I might want to mod the damper rods in the forks too. I might also look into a lowering link to bring the seat height back down a little. I will post again if anything good or bad happens with this shock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So trying to set the sag and I can't get it where I want. So I believe I need a stiffer spring. I was looking at CTX700 Shock Swap | Peter Verdone Designs article again and realized I have the same shock he used just under a different name. Mine may say Arashi but it has the same VOPO 600LBS spring and everything else looks identical. So I seen that he used and an Eibach spring, well looking at the photos his spring perches are quite a bit larger for that spring. I messaged him on facebook and found out that he machined his own perches on a lathe. So I don't have access to a lathe so the Eibach spring is off the table. But I did find another spring that may fit, but it comes on a shock that might also fit. I found these DNM 295mm and WPHMOTO 295mm shocks . They look to be the same under different names. I was thinking buy one just for the spring, or maybe see if the mounting hole bushings can be swapped between the shocks and just bolt the DNM shock on. Anyway I'm still debating on buying one or seeing it I can find another spring option.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If your full load is 225 lbs or more you might want a 1250 or 1500 lb spring. 600 lb is not enough for average Americans. Especially with touring load or a passenger. At least that is what Penske recommended. Do you have contact info for Arashi?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts