CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I am new to the forum but have been reading it for awhile. I currently own a 02 Silverwing that I have had since 2006. I have over 30,000 miles on it and love it, I have just been thinking about trying something different because life is short. :D I added a variator to the silverwing and it is alot quicker than stock as it keeps the bike higher in the powerband at all times. I can embarrass many a midsize cruiser, especially through the corners. I do alot of 4 hour weekend rides along with my Dad and his new StreetGlide Harley and the scooter is easily able to hold it's own(other than having to stop for gas more often than he has to due to the smallish capacity gas tank :( ). I have gotten spoiled with the storage (full face modular helmet plus Joe Rocket crash jacket both fit under seat) plus the wind protection, and not having to shift. I have ridden normal clutch bikes and even took my DMV cycle test on one, just prefer not shifting if you have that option (why not?) So finding a replacement for the scoot that covers most of these bases has been a difficult challenge, that is probably why I haven't after all this time. Looked at the DN-01's when it came out, but the reviews were pretty harsh and it looked like cornering abilitys were very limited before scraping due to the low slung layout. Most riding vids on YouTube show it scraping while hardly pushing it hard through the corners at all. I LOVE twisties, so that was kind of a let down to see. Looked at the Aprillia Manas and was impressed by the tank trunk or frunk and optional shift patterns, but it sits kinda high and no real protection with tiny windscreen. Plus I had heard services on this Italian bike were very costly. That leads me to the faired CTX. I could throw on some hard bags and a taller screen and be pretty close to what I need (besides Full Face helmet storage) Top box not a real option because I think it kills the looks and the low center of gravity idea of the bike. Plus the lowish seat height is a plus since my girlfriend also rides along with me on her own Burgman 400, she cannot touch feet to ground comfortably on my Silverwing. May have to option of keeping my Silverwing and replacing HER scoot instead!!! I am still waiting on a dealer within an hour or so to get in one of the DCT versions to sit on and test ride to see if it is comparable to the old trusty 'Wing. Snow will be flying soon enough, may have to wait until next years riding season it appears at this rate. Sorry for the long-winded rant and introduction. I do enjoy reading your impressions and taking them into consideration before actually getting to see one for myself. It helps me out alot.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an NC700x and tried a Silverwing a couple of weekends ago trying to sort out with my wife whether she wants a Silverwing or a CTX700. I found the handling and stability to be not as good on the Silverwing as my bike and of course you have that spin up before the Silverwing moves off from a stop. I felt like I could of lived with the Silverwing and even driven it across the country but I might be bored with it.

You have to take my writing with a grain of salt. It isn't fair to talk about a bike when you have only had about 30 minutes on it including a couple of interstate jaunts at 65.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've gone from a Piaggio BV350 scooter to this bike, but have no experience with other bikes or scooters for comparison. I loved that scooter, and it was a real performer and got great gas mileage and was really comfortable for my long commutes. It would accelerate as good as the CTX700 in an urban situation and was pretty agile for its size. I know the BV350 is no match for a Silverwing with respect to refinement and smoothness, but for me, I like this bike so much better than the scooter overall. It is extremely smooth and is so predictable and smooth around curves. I guess because of the low CG. The instrument display is so high that I barely have to look down to see my speed or RPM. It takes bumps much better and is even easier to roll around than the scooter even though it weighs 100 lbs more. Also, it is even more comfortable for me. Both are pretty bad as far as wind goes in stock form. I'll be waiting on MadStad to come out with a fairing screen to help with that.

Unlike you, I've not ever ridden a manual bike other than just a few train up sessions before taking delivery on the CTX700. I didn't get the "D" model, and even though I'm going through a tough time right now getting used to the manual on twisties, I'm still glad I saved the $1K and the extra mpg I can squeeze out of the manual. In my first three tanks of fuel, they've all returned over 75 mpg, so I would say that's the best thing I like about this bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with Greg. I'm coming from a Burgman 400. I loved it. It was my first bike and I put 15K on it in 3 years of commuting. But the CTX700 DCT has more power and is smoother riding than the Burgy. I also don't miss the CVT transmission. The Burgman has a peculiar "squeal" when taking off. The DCT is just nice smooth shifting. There is a bit of "clicking" but nothing like the noise the Burgman made.

I've taken the CTX on one extended ride so far. I've got 1200 miles on it and it's much more comfortable than the Burgman. The larger wheels handle the potholes better. Plus, believe it or not, I got 50 MPG with the Burgman 400 and I get 72 MPG with the CTX 700.

I love my CTX. I can't imagine going back.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback guys. Too bad no one has chimed in with an actual Silverwing though. I am sure it would be an upgrade to go to a CTX from those smaller displacement single cylinder scoots. Me going from mine to her Burgman 400S is night and day difference. Her's is no fun at all for me, while the Silverwing is pretty fun and the twin engine is so smooth and always has full power available. Builds like crazy all the way to 80+mph then starts to taper off up until it tops out at 105. In defense of her 400, it does feel alot more balanced, and a lower center of gravity with it's lower seat height. And she gets over 70mpg on her 400?????

·
Registered
975 Posts
I know it was stated, with respect to the Burgman 400, that the CTX has much more power, but my single-cylinder, Piaggio BV350 was a real screamer for a scooter. It is a brand new engine design (330 cc with wet clutch) and sets a new standard for this size of scooter with respect to performance. That's one area where the Italian brands rarely fall short on--the fun factor and sportiness feel, and the BV certainly packs a punch for the money if that's all I was after. But like I stated above, even though the BV was every bit the performer of the CTX at any speed below 75 (probably not quite as quick from 0-60, but those mid-range accelerations from 15 mph and up were every bit as good), and a strong engine brake that was instantaneous at any speed by simply letting off the throttle was fantastic for control on the twisties. Yet, besides the performance aspect, the CTX is much better in so many other ways. Not in the way of sportiness, but in riding layout, the extra benefits of an even lower CG than the BV, long-riding comfort, and most of all--super high mpg for any piece of transportation at this size, weight and performance level. With respect to mpg, and the CTX700 and other 670 cc-powered machines, the fuel economy is unmatched by any other manufactured vehicle except for two electric motorcycles @ $16K each and a diesel motorcycle that cannot be purchased by private citizens.

Not ever riding or sitting on a Silver Wing, I'm guessing, with it being a similarly-sized Honda twin (not too much smaller), it would be similar in power and refinement and would have many comfort amenities that my scooter did not, but where this new Honda power train really shines is in the area of low torque and very high mpg, and if you opt for the DCT/ABS, it gives one an array of options on how and when it shifts and level of sportiness versus frugalness, depending on one's mood or riding situation. Also, comparing prices: new CTX in stock form, versus new Silver Wing there is quite a disparity, although one gives up lots of on board storage and built in weather protection, and that price disparity would be easily gobbled up if one wanted to get back to that same level on those two features.

So I guess it depends on what you like and expect out of a ride. The SilverWing, from everything I've heard, is rock solid and a great, daily ride, loved by almost everyone that owns one, but I've also heard (but don't know first hand) that most folks return low 40s in mpg. My diesel car does better than that, so I wouldn't consider a bike that got anything close to what I can do in my car for fuel economy. For me, I've got to have the mpg. It's not the only reason for riding, but it is a prerequisite before I even consider a ride.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still waiting on any of the nearby dealerships to get one of these things in. Looks like I will be waiting for next year, which sucks, but it'd be hard to drop 10G for a bike and immediately put it in storage... Southern Wisconsin must not be on Honda key proirity list due to the limited riding season.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What about the NC?

I also came from a scooter, the "mini-wing" PCX150. It had great acceleration but at 60 mph it was twitchy mostly because of the tire size of 14". The same as the wing I believe. I thought going from the CVT to the DCT would take some getting used to, but it didn't. Although you can feel hear it shifting (at low speed) there is no pause between gears. It's pretty seamless. Unlike the CVT you can choose more or less engine braking whenever you want. You don't have to switch out of auto mode nor do you have to switch back. Just shift in advance of the DCT (provided your speed is within range. It won't let you drop to 1st from 60mph)

I enjoyed being able to have a choice of leg positions on the scooter but when moving up to a larger bike and having to choose between legs out or under I chose under and went with the NC. I don't find it confining, nor is it uncomfortable for long periods.
I generally stop every hour anyway for other reasons.

I am 5'5" tall with a 28" inseam and have my bike adjusted accordingly. If your girlfriend would be two up on it she would not reach the ground from the rear seat even on a lowered bike. I know I can't. As you know it does not have the built-in storage of a scooter, you can either store the jacket or the helmet but not both.
Just a suggestion since I saw nothing in your post that would rule it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
PCX 150 different with 600 silver wing, silver wing got more power heavy than CTX and stable on the freeway and you can get up to 105 MPH.I got my silver wing and I still ride it,I don't have CTX to compare.

·
Registered
20 Posts
PCX 150 different with 600 silver wing, silver wing got more power heavy than CTX and stable on the freeway and you can get up to 105 MPH.I got my silver wing and I still ride it,I don't have CTX to compare.
I reread my post to be sure and I did not say anywhere that the PCX rides like an S wing nor should even be compared. I just mentioned that they had the same wheel size and that I gave up my scooter for something larger.

My post was about transitioning from a CVT to a DCT which I have done and also about transitioning from a multi position floorboard to a fixed foot position. Both are things that someone going from an S wing to a ctx will have to do.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bit the bullet this afternoon. :cool: CTX700DE, higher windscreen, hard bags with colored panels, backrest and cargo rack. $10,928.44 with everything said and done out the door (labor on install, 5% WI sales tax, plate transfer, etc...) It gets delivered to them on Wednesday from off site warehouse then prepped and so on. I'll probably drive back up the hour to get it next weekend. Who know when it'll get accessories installed. Now to sell my S-wing:(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your gonna love it. I have a PCX 150 and the CTX D. I'm curious to see your review on the handling of the CTX compared to your silverwing. Good luck.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I only was able to test ride a naked version in the dct style since no one around here has a faired one with the dct, only standard shift in those. I can say that on the short test drive, down to the end of the road to a dead end and back for a total of 2 minutes, that it does not have the smooth power and speed of my silverwing. Granted the Swing isn't stock and was pretty slow before I modded it. But I'm willing to try something different and keep an open mind, especially if I get one of the motors that gets higher 60s for mpgs. Speed isn't as big a deal now that I've gotten older and am more into cruising with my Dad on his Harley, just more about the ride now. I did like the feel of the low center of gravity just sitting on it and low speeds in parking lot, and look forward to running through some of my favorite twisties to see how it compares.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I picked up the bike yesterday morning after they got all the accessories installed for me. I found the higher windshield to be acceptable for me. The ride home from dealer was 50 miles, and by the time I got home windshield was covered in bug splatters and none had ever hit me in the forehead as they did on the scooter occasionally. Drove it over to Dad's and he got his Harley out and we took off riding together heading out to my favorite twisties. The bike corners alot better than my Silverwing, which was very surprising to me, especially with the added hard bags. I thought for sure it would feel tippy but it did not, at all. Bike is very light and very well balanced as everyone else has already mentioned. I noticed that the suspension was VERY stiff and the slightest bump and railroads were very jarring compared to the Silverwing. I did about 100 miles more with him and my tailbone began to ache and had me squirming in the seat for different positions. I will definitely need to look into aftermarket seating. All riding thus far was only in "d" mode which did great for my riding, although I sometimes had to override it down one gear when entering the twisties to throttle through and out the apex. One thing I noticed on the bike that I never noticed on the scoot was all the heat that pours off of the engine. I felt heat through my jeans and if you place your hand down between tank and seat area at speed you actually feel heat pouring out. Nothing uncomfortable, just different from a scooter. I'm sure all other bikes would probably be the same. I picked up my girlfriend after her work and went riding 2 up for awhile. The bike felt basically no different "balanced-wise" with her on the back, very stable and still very easy to maneuver. I did notice in "D" mode that if giving it half throttle or better that it was seem to get stuck in 3rd gear and wind out too much, even when coasting it would not upshift into fourth. Would just keep high revving until I would override it up myself. I finally tried "S" mode with her on back and bike behave more like you'd expect a traditional motorcycle to behave. It ran up the revs alot better before shifting and would keep it in a lower gear to always have power available. It even would downshift after closing the throttle in the littlest bit, like when you would be about to enter a twisty. Now I want to go back to my twisties and try them in "s" mode!!!! So for me, any 2 up riding from now on will only be done in "S" mode to keep the transmission from acting funny. I haven't really played with the manual mode at all, I most likely will be riding some more today and will try then. I got about 200 miles on it so far. Overall I am very impressed with all this bike is, and thankfully I am not regretting putting Silverwing up for sale. Other than the uncomfortable seat and kinda stiff suspension I have no complaints at all so far. A very fun ride.
P.S. I even found a desolate area and pulled over to give my girlfriend a chance to drive the bike for herself. The is very short with short legs. She was able to touch with the balls of her feet flat but not touching either heel. She took off, made a big couple minute loop of the area and came back smiling. She said the bike rides very smooth, and easy to turn and maneuver as well. She was also surprised on how well the balanced this bike for what it weighs, especially compared to her 400 Burgman scooter. Her only issue was she has size 5 feet and wears motorcycle boots with thick sole and a thick heel. When trying to slide her right boot forward to get to the foot brake her heel would get caught on the peg before her little foot could reach the pad of the brake lever. She'd have to lift her whole foot up and of the peg to reach it. I have the Kuryakyn boards on their way so that problem will soon be solved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts