CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wanting to put some Dunlop Roadsmart tires, the most up to date ones: the III Or IV, except Dunlop’s site says the IV won’t fit

Revzillas site has the RS IV in the same tire sizes the ctx700 uses. So why wouldnt the 4 and 3 fit our bike if they both have the same sizes? Could it be that Dunlop’s site isn’t updated? Would really hate if these tires (IV) wouldnt fit…

·
Registered
2015 CTX700, 1983 GL650
21 Posts
Oh boy - well I will find out this week as I ordered a set for install Wednesday or Thursday. :oops:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I know on several other tires, the difference is on the weight rating... some tires need more weight to perform as intended. Do not know if that is the case with these, but the test bikes used for the performance data on the roadsmart IV's were 1300's and 1600's....

·
Registered
825 Posts
As I already explained, they are most likely designed for heavier bikes. You can use them, but you probably won't get the intended grip/performance.

Only way to be sure would be to contact them and ask.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh boy - well I will find out this week as I ordered a set for install Wednesday or Thursday. :oops:
Please do let me know.

I know on several other tires, the difference is on the weight rating... some tires need more weight to perform as intended. Do not know if that is the case with these, but the test bikes used for the performance data on the roadsmart IV's were 1300's and 1600's....
Pretty sure the weight rating is the same as well. Also, why would a diff gen tire of the same one require a different weight rating? Wouldn’t they just stamp a GT rating on the IV?

might just bite the bullet like TheMuse and buy them

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I already explained, they are most likely designed for heavier bikes. You can use them, but you probably won't get the intended grip/performance.

Only way to be sure would be to contact them and ask.
Are you talking about Load index? If so, they (III, and IV) are the same

·
Registered
628 Posts
Email from [email protected]
Hello,
Thank you for contacting Dunlop Motorcycle Tires. We do offer the Road Smart IV for the 2014-18 CTX 700. Unfortunately, the Dunlop Website has a limit on the number of options we can list. I am under the assumption the website designers have been attempting to correct this issue. Feel free to contact me with any additional questions you may have.
Regards
THOMAS LEE
Consumer Affairs

Dunlop Motorcycle Tires
8656 Haven Ave
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
800-845-8378
716-279-3579
[email protected]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Email from [email protected]
Hello,
Thank you for contacting Dunlop Motorcycle Tires. We do offer the Road Smart IV for the 2014-18 CTX 700. Unfortunately, the Dunlop Website has a limit on the number of options we can list. I am under the assumption the website designers have been attempting to correct this issue. Feel free to contact me with any additional questions you may have.
Regards
THOMAS LEE
Consumer Affairs

Dunlop Motorcycle Tires
8656 Haven Ave
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
800-845-8378
716-279-3579
[email protected]
You seriously are the man!! Thank you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, hell. I just put the IIIs on my bike, following the web site's "advice." Thanks for checking.

·
Registered
2015 CTX700, 1983 GL650
21 Posts
Hello all!

I called Dunlop directly and asked them about this. Spoke with Thomas there and he confirmed that the Dunlop Roadsmart IVs WILL WORK JUST FINE on the CTX-700 series bikes and that it is a Website error in their database that they are working to fix. Mine get installed today or tomorrow. Looking forward to them.

Cheers,
Monica

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello all!

I called Dunlop directly and asked them about this. Spoke with Thomas there and he confirmed that the Dunlop Roadsmart IVs WILL WORK JUST FINE on the CTX-700 series bikes and that it is a Website error in their database that they are working to fix. Mine get installed today or tomorrow. Looking forward to them.

Cheers,
Monica
Great thank you! I also called them and spoke to the same person with the same response. They are on to us!! I get mine installed either Saturday or Tuesday when they arrive. Ordered from Revzilla. Pricy shoes if you ask me, hope they are worth the money

·
Registered
2015 CTX700, 1983 GL650
21 Posts
And here we go! They have a rebate on through July 31st as well. $60 rebate for two tires w/ dealer install. $40 for two tires w/o dealer install.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
This is the best tire discussion I have read lately. I have always run Dunlops on my Silverwing Interstate, and a couple of other bikes. I even run Dunlop tires on my Jaguar. I have had to buy Pirelli Sport Demons for a couple of my 1980's vintage Yamahas because they still offer that tire in difficult to find sizes (19"x 3"wide front, and 18"x 3.5" rear).
I was just about to go with the Michelin tires but clearly the Roadsmarts are now in my future.
Thank you dgall for going straight to the source. And thank you "TheMuse" for talking with Thomas at Dunlop. and for the Rebate tip.
This really is the best-by-far forum for good, useable input from the members.
I love being a part of this group.
Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
2015 CTX700, 1983 GL650
21 Posts
I'm curious on how the 83 SilverWing compares to your CTX on power?jasperj
The GL is like a tractor. Good low end torque and power. Good tooth rattler at low idle. The V-Twin mounting does shake a bit.

The CTX is smooooooth.

The GL is comfier for longer rides though. Seat. Peg placement (I also added highway pegs).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts