CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by the Honda dealer today to have a sit. I am 6'3" with a 33" inseam.
When I sat on the CTX700, my knees were rather high and did not fit into the molded areas on the side of the bike. It felt really comfortable otherwise, but unless I could move the controls forward, I don't think it could work. Anybody else got long legs here?

I did try a NC700x and it was better, but I still fell my legs are wrapped up tight while on the pegs. The Salesman said a CTX1300 would be better, but I am just going to be riding around for kicks, not taking HWY trips and probably never a passenger.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I'm 6'0 but have a 34" inseam and fit just fine. I ride with the peg resting just in front of my heal with my foot tilted upward. This riding style is more comfortable, allows easier rear braking and lowers the knee about 2 inches.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well I have a 32 inch inseam, so that must be the sweet spot. My knees touch the tank, but exactly where I like it, so it's a comfortable ride for me. I too tried the NC700, but was just a bit too tall for me. I didn't like the fact that my feet were not flat on the ground like on the CTX. I don't know if the CTX1300 will give you any more leg room. When I sat on it a few months ago at the International Motorcycle Show, it felt pretty much like the 700, but just a bigger version.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm 6 foot 5, 34 inch inseam, size 16 shoe. Before the Corbin seat came out I had my stock seat raised about 3 inches new padding was added and new cover cost a hundred forty bucks. put some Kuryakyn floor boards on for my gigantic feet. added: iso-grips and you're good to go

·
Registered
8 Posts
Too tall

As much as I liked the CTX it was just too small for me. 6'4", 34 inch inseam .
My knees were sticking out in the wind. The Honda salesman actually suggested I try a Kawasaki KLR 650. That's what I ended up buying but I wanted more of a street bike. I don't do off road riding. I want to sit on one of the new Moto Guzzi 750s but none of the dealers have one. I also tried the Suzuki V Strom and the Kawasaki Versys but they did not fit either. I just wish I had my old Yamaha 850 Special back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 6-2 and have long legs and I fit comfortably on the CTX700N. I sat on a lot of mid size cruisers at the Honda dealer, mostly Shadows, and CTX700 gave me the best leg room. Although the bike is somewhat low to the ground, the forward controls reduce the angle of the knees. I do recommend that you have the handlebars adjusted forward a bit before leave the dealer, to give your arms a little less bend.

There are a lot bikes similar to the NC700 that fit taller guy better, but if you looking for a mid size cruiser, I think the CTX700 is a good option. Or you could look at the Harley Wide Glide, forward controls for long legs and would be the bike I would get if I were to buy a Harley.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 6 foot 5, 34 inch inseam, size 16 shoe. Before the Corbin seat came out I had my stock seat raised about 3 inches new padding was added and new cover cost a hundred forty bucks. put some Kuryakyn floor boards on for my gigantic feet. added: iso-grips and you're good to go
I take my MSF course next week so I am back to cycle shopping. I went back to the Honda dealer again and sat on the NC700X again. I like it, but the seat is not too comfortable and seems to want to slide me into the trunk area.
Then I got back on the CTX700 and the seat is much more comfortable and my arms seem to land on the handlebars like they were made for me.

BUT my big ol' legs still hang out. I can't tuck them into the cutouts on the side. PBCruiser: Did the Corbin help you in this regard?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam. I just put the balls of my feet on the pegs and my heels hang down below the pegs. That way I can barely fit in the tank cutout area with my knees. I have thought about cutting and re-welding the pegs lower, but don't want to scrape on the corners and would have to adjust the brake and gear lever.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The NC700 will eventually be replaced by an NC750 with an improved seat, but I haven't heard or read when that might happen for U.S. consumers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Try a CB500X
I own one and a CTX700N too. The 500 has a higher seat ht. and is more comfy

Unless there's a way to move the footpegs and controls 2 inches forward the riding position on the 700 won't work for you. One option would be to get some one to redo the seat one inch higher and move the seat rider pocket two inches back. The local dealer should know someone to fix the seat - the cheaper fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 6'-1"
Read a lot about CTX700T
Bought one.
Knees do not fit inside molded parts!
Raise the seat? Modify the bike?

Any experiences appreciated.
Roger

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm 6'4" my knees don't really fit into the indents of my CTX700, but that never really bothered me. I bought the Corbin Standard seat which shifted me up approx 3" and back 1". I'm more comfortable now and can kinda squeeze my knees into those tank indents if I have to.

I'm thinking the Corbin Standard seat is the quickest fix.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Floorboards maybe? If you can get ahold of a 2014 seat, Seth Laam probably does the best job for custom seats for tall riders.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
PBcruiser, how did you get your iso-grips for your bike? Or what model did you use?
I've been looking for those grips for my ctx700 but they are not listed in the Kuryakyn list of bikes.
I emailed Kuryakyn and they say the grips aren't available for that model and perhaps a universal grip would be necessary but I've had no Luck Finding a universal grip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Grburkart, Go to J&P cycles,and you can get the Kuryakyn ISO grips. You have to get the ones that fit the 7/8" handlebar.
I have them and they are great! Product number is 6341 for black grips, or 6241 for the chrome grips. Price $71.99.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I'm 6'-1" Read a lot about CTX700T Bought one. Knees do not fit inside molded parts! Raise the seat? Modify the bike? Any experiences appreciated. Roger
I saw guy on NC700, his inseam was 34". He didn't think twice and slopped a piece of yoga spongy rubber mat cut to seat's shape and on top of that he put regular cushion. Put it all on Velcro pads and it stays real tight. He said it works great. I'll try to do the same to level my seat's deep bow also.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I stopped by the Honda dealer today to have a sit. I am 6'3" with a 33" inseam.
When I sat on the CTX700, my knees were rather high and did not fit into the molded areas on the side of the bike. It felt really comfortable otherwise, but unless I could move the controls forward, I don't think it could work. Anybody else got long legs here?

I did try a NC700x and it was better, but I still fell my legs are wrapped up tight while on the pegs. The Salesman said a CTX1300 would be better, but I am just going to be riding around for kicks, not taking HWY trips and probably never a passenger.
Oh, Yeah! I'm willing to bet that salesman wanted you on a CTX1300. Did he mention that they only made them for one year (2014) and there's $3000 in cash incentives (and spiffs for the salesman)?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts