CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, A few months ago my son's motorcycle was stolen (from a hospital parking lot, no less). I'd like to get him a good motorcycle lock for Xmas for his new (to him) bike so it also doesn't get boosted. I have ZERO experience with locks. Does anybody have recommendations for GOOD locks or warnings for BAD locks?

·
Registered
664 Posts
With the risk of stating the obvious, there are a lot of variables to consider such as are you intending to secure it to a fixed object or rather just want to immobilize the bike. Xena disc locks have a pretty good reputation for immobilization and most have an integrated alarm. They've been around for decades which may be a testament to their effectiveness. To secure a bike (or anything) to a fixed object there seems to be a shift toward the fabric devices which cannot be cut, frozen, or burned.

·
Supporting Vendors
57 Posts
I'm not familiar with these "fabric devices which cannot be cut, frozen, or burned." Got any links you can provide? TIA.
:)
I think anything can be cut or smashed. It all depends on how much time and effort it may take and how much noise the process will make. Personally, I use the Abus Granit Brake Disc Lock.
It has a bright yellow case to be instantly noticeable and discourage thieves from messing with my bike.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
With the risk of stating the obvious, there are a lot of variables to consider such as are you intending to secure it to a fixed object or rather just want to immobilize the bike. Xena disc locks have a pretty good reputation for immobilization and most have an integrated alarm. They've been around for decades which may be a testament to their effectiveness. To secure a bike (or anything) to a fixed object there seems to be a shift toward the fabric devices which cannot be cut, frozen, or burned.
Hope you aren't recommending something like the Litelok.... https://us.litelok.com/products/bik...ign=gsh-us&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googleps

Easily cut the strap in seconds as shown here:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I spent $150 for a chain and lock, gasp, and that was finding the chain on sale for 100 bucks, from $180. And that is gonna do me good only when locked at home. Out there, a disk lock will be your best bet.

Reactions: Ruby

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hope you aren't recommending something like the Litelok.... https://us.litelok.com/products/bik...ign=gsh-us&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googleps

Easily cut the strap in seconds as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On0DGcDlc
My apologies if my prior post appeared to be an endorsement or recommendation of any product, though I don't think it was. I actually do not use any security devices on my bikes. Regarding the Xena, the only evidence I have is its longevity in the marketplace and many owners communicating they appreciated them. The shift to fabric straps is based on my personal observations and input received from those who use them. Funny, this sounds like the impeachment hearings!

·
Registered
265 Posts
A few years ago there was a gang of MC thieves that would slip 2 steel pipes under the frame, 4 guys would P/U the bike, put it in a trailer & off they would go.
My point, if they want it bad enough they're going to get it, no matter what kind of lock you have. A good lock & good insurance might be your best way to go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all!

Did some looking at disk locks and apparently these are generally easily pried open with a crowbar. There are pix of Xena locks pried open so fast that the motion alarm hadn't even gone off (it auto-disables as soon as it's off the bike). Apparently, the good choices out there are (a) disk locks with a 2nd locking system in the foot to resist prying, (b) "The Club" utility lock, and (c) Kryptonite's Faghettaboutit "U" lock. These all require either picking the lock (which takes time) or an angle grinder (or, as olegoat345 says, a bunch of guys and a pickup).

·
Registered
983 Posts
I also use an ABUS. Dont know how easy it would be to get off, but I have set the alarm off a couple of times just basicly touching the bike. Mine is very sensitive. The noise it makes would easily ward off most. I suppose if they really wanted it nothing would stop a thief, but in general when I am away at a motel overnight there are usually other bikers there with a lot more expensive bikes than mine. If they are going to steal they might as well get an expensive one. I am happy with mine. Very small and visible and easy to store. It is only 5 x3 x 2 inches.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I have grappled with that issue.
I have a lock and chain that I will use when my wife and i go somewhere. I run it through the rear wheel and then through both her helmet and my helmet. They are full face helmets so i run it through the face shield opening. Then both helmets sit on the seat.
But I bought my son in law the same lock and chain. He chained my 1982 Honda Silverwing interstate through the rear wheel and around a steel post for the car cover in the apartment parking lot. One morning he came out and found the cover off the bike and a broken hacksaw blade next to a slightly scratched lock and chain.
It worked great. and for 49 bucks on sale it is a bargain.
If someone really wants the bike he will take it.
But for the joyride novice bike thieves it might be enough to stop them. I like it a lot the way I use it. And i get a real kick out of how it stood up for my son in law.
here's the link to it, if you want to check out an inexpensive security device.

cyclegear.com/accessories/stockton-721-security-chain-and-lock?sku_id=1124058

and here is a picture of how i use it to lock and hold my helmets. I left off my wife's helmet so you can see it more easily.
it's a great helmet lock for sure

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Locators are another option some have found useful. If you can find the location before they know there's a GPS tracker on it, that might help.
+1 good insurance.
+50 don't let your kids know where you hide the keys.
p.s. Don't ask me how I know, or why my key is ALWAYS in my pocket no matter how casually dressed or past bedtime it is. I still can't figure out why she said if I change the house locks she'll give new keys to the 35 yr old who lives in his own house yet trespassed three times this year without permission, stealing my keys and breaking appliances.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Of course, I hardly ever lock mine except with the steering lock. That's sort of a "boy-scout" lock = Only keeps honest those who are already honest but sometimes curious. Much more than that is like putting a rusty '60s beetle next to an all electric Mustang SUV and greasing the valet to make sure nobody touches my bug.

On the legit used market, the CTX is worth $2000 to $4000, weighs almost 500 lbs, and the type of person who buys it is not likely to overlook little things like not having a title.
Sitting beside it is some sexy new crotch rocket about 350 lbs worth $9000. A gullible teenager who does not understand the paperwork can be talked into buying those in a back alley for a fast one or two K "bargain".

Extra credit, add a "for sale" sign marked down from $1500 to $1200, $1000, and $700. Now the thief is sure to know it's been wrecked and can't be turned into money by someone desperate to sell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 5-foot chain and its 11mm hexagon links within Trimax’s Combo Set are hard features to overlook. It’s a heavy-duty chain that most thieves will take a look at and swiftly turn their attention to another motorcycle.

·
Registered
2015 CTX700N DCT ABS
4 Posts
I didn't want to get one of those finicky disc locks that tend to false alarm constantly so I bought one of these that locks the front brake to the grip: Amazon.com: Monster Fairings Silver Motorcycle Handlebar Grips Heavy Duty Adjustable Anti Theft Motorcycle Lock for Protection : Automotive. But I noticed something odd after having it clamped on in the garage for a couple of days. I was going to move the bike over a little bit and noticed it rolled freely with the lock still on! Is there something with the DCT ABS that releases the pressure on the rotor after a certain period of time when the brake lever is compressed? It works fine for short periods of time but this would kind of make my lock useless for longer periods if the wheels can roll freely. I may just have to go back to the disc lock without the alarm or a chain/cable...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts