CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I've been a lurker for well over two years, and have had my 2016 DCT Faired since April of that year.

I hated the stock seat. Lots of pain after 45 minutes to an hour. I used an airhawk for most of the 8000 miles I have on it and it hardly helped. I looked at the Corbin, which I've had before on another bike. Too pricey for me right now. Same for Russell and Mayer.

I found a place about an hour up the road from me, Mean City Cycles :: Motorcycle seat modifications. I did some searching on some other (Harley) forums and I found very few complaints with the work that they had done for them. So, I decided to give it a shot.

What he did to mine was refoam the driver's position leaving a notch for the tailbone, and broaden the seat area a bit. He reused the stock cover, though they do custom upholstery also.

I have just about 500 miles on it, which is the supposed break in period, and its certainly much better than stock for me. I'm hoping it continues to get better.

The best part, is that is was just around 200 bucks. I didn't have to ship, as I live close enough to run it up there.

It may be worth a flyer for those that find the seat unbearable, but don't want to spend the Corbin level money.

Kilo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
"And where would you be ???
No location on your profile ???"

Admonished and corrected. :)

Reactions: explorecaves

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like to get it to fit properly you have to be there.
He goes by weight of the rider, as well as what he knows that he can do with the existing pan. It's certainly more generic than an all custom job for sure. but the price, I think, reflects that.

Kilo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any pics?
Looks like the stock seat, maybe raised a bit at the widest spot. I'll try to get a good pic this weekend.

Kilo

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looks like to get it to fit properly you have to be there.

Seth Lamm seats are the same. You give him your height, weight, and inseam.
Or, you could buy a Corbin for 2 1/2 times the money and have a one size fits all.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Kilo, I had the same thing happen to me in Ontario. Checked prices for Corbin through a dealer and was quoted over $800. Found a guy in Georgtown 50 miles away and got mine made over a couple of years ago for a third of the price. Works great, can ride day after day all day and am still not beat up. The most I have riden was 500 miles but could have continued on farther and I am a long way from being a young guy. Pays to look around.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Received my seat back from Mean City Cycles on Tuesday, and went for a 4 hour ride yesterday. Pleased with the results so far. With the stock seat I started to feel uncomfortable in less than an hour. With my seat redone, it was comfortable for the 4 hours I rode. Looking to do an all day ride to see how it holds up. For $130 plus shipping both ways for a total of $204, it is well worth the price. My only problem was with the service. They assign you a day when your seat will be done, and have you get your seat to them by the previous day. My day was 0ct 9th, and I was to get the seat to them no later than Oct 8th. They received my seat on Friday, Oct 4th. I called them on Oct 10th inquiring about my seat and they said it was scheduled for Oct 11th. The person I spoke with insisted that was the day they told me, and I stated I had written the date down that they had scheduled, and it was to be to them by 10/08, and to be completed on 10/09. She no longer insisted I was wrong.
So, bottom line, if this seat continues to be as comfortable as it now is, I will recommend them. Way less expensive than a Corbin, and way more comfortable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts