CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until I saw Noralee in this YouTube video, I was never interested in the notion, much less the riding, of an electric motorcycle: Too quiet, too sterile.

Yet... Watch this report and marvel at the beauty of both the season and the girl as she and a park ranger ride their silent wheels through an autumn forest. You too will believe in magic.

Itchy Boots

·
Registered
197 Posts
Until I saw Noralee in this YouTube video, I was never interested in the notion, much less the riding, of an electric motorcycle: Too quiet, too sterile.

Yet... Watch this report and marvel at the beauty of both the season and the girl as she and a park ranger ride their silent wheels through an autumn forest. You too will believe in magic.

Itchy Boots
Looks like a great bike as long as you don't want to go more than 175 miles. I would be stuck too far away from home recharging it. When they get the technology improved so you can recharge one in 20 minutes, (and it will happen) then I would be very interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have ridden a Zero DSR model, like in the video. Amazing machines, full torque from the start. But at $10k plus for the entry models, I thought that I could wait awhile before buying. Also like any other machine, they are not without having problems and I'm not talking about range limitations.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
250 Posts
Fast charge already exists, on Energica and the HD Livewire. The US infrastructure is what’s lacking. Check this out:

Zero doesn’t have fast charge yet, not sure when that’s coming, but it has to be soon. For their sake, and ours.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Fast charge already exists, on Energica and the HD Livewire. The US infrastructure is what’s lacking. Check this out:

Zero doesn’t have fast charge yet, not sure when that’s coming, but it has to be soon. For their sake, and ours.
Energica is getting closer. Still need more range. I watched a video done by a dealer in which they said 125 mile range in eco mode which limits your top speed to 56 mph. It has a quick charge feature (15-20 min for 95%) if you can find that type of charger. Most charging systems that are available (level 2) charging time is 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I checked the town I live in, and there is one quick charge available. However, I checked the areas I usually ride, and there are no quick charge available, and very few level 2.
This bike looks very promising, and when way more quick charging systems are available I could be interested. Also, price would have to come down from 21k+.
The Harley, not a chance. Too many minuses at this time.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

He gets there faster ? In other words he tends to speed higher, not because other bikes can't travel as fast. The repeated charging every 100 miles would drive me nuts, and a 30 min or so wait while charging, assuming the "pump" is vacant. Not for me.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
If he is getting there faster, he is speeding more, not because other bikes are slower. As for having to stop every 100 miles to recharge, and taking 30+ (dream on) minutes, more like 90, to recharge assuming the the "pump" is vacant is not for me. Wonder where my previous post went?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If he is getting there faster, he is speeding more, not because other bikes are slower. As for having to stop every 100 miles to recharge, and taking 30+ (dream on) minutes, more like 90, to recharge assuming the the "pump" is vacant is not for me. Wonder where my previous post went?
Loved the video and the scenery. My daughter was there 2 years ago and loved the country. The rider talks about chargers being "everywhere", but from what he showed us, he was travelling at 75 - 115 km/hr (46 - 71 mph) and he made 10 stops on a 640 km or just under 400 mile trip. He was stopping every 65-70 km or 40 miles on average for 10-15 minutes, on a bike that he feels is very unconfortable to ride. yuck.
Some charging stations are free, as they are in parts of Canada when being introduced and highly subsidized by the government (ie us the taxpayers). Tesla is putting lots of infrastructure in place, but if governments seriously push this electic vehicle promotion, it won't be just a question of the 15 minute fill up to go 45-65 km if you can find one where you want to ride, but the entire system will have to be upgraded. Will take many many years and costs hundreds of billions of dollars.. (and how is the energy produced???
Lets reduce the ethanol that subsidizes corn farmers, get better emission control and push for more fuel efficient gas vehicles.

·
Registered
2020 HD Low Rider S
14 Posts
I test rode a Zero FXS over the summer, was a pretty fun bike, and is reasonable-ish in price for what you get. All electrics are just commuters or around town bikes right now, and will be for the foreseeable future. When I can get 300 miles at any speed and a recharge time of under 30 minutes, then I'll consider one. Until then, they're just expensive toys.

The value proposition has to be there, and it's just not. The $30K HD is charging for a Livewire can buy a really decent brand new car. The money for a Zero can buy a very capable used one as well. Especially for those that live in climates where we can't ride for 5-7 months of the year, depending on the weather.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I test rode a Zero FXS over the summer, was a pretty fun bike, and is reasonable-ish in price for what you get. All electrics are just commuters or around town bikes right now, and will be for the foreseeable future. When I can get 300 miles at any speed and a recharge time of under 30 minutes, then I'll consider one. Until then, they're just expensive toys.

The value proposition has to be there, and it's just not. The $30K HD is charging for a Livewire can buy a really decent brand new car. The money for a Zero can buy a very capable used one as well. Especially for those that live in climates where we can't ride for 5-7 months of the year, depending on the weather.
Even if we can ride 12 months of the year, the very real idea of being stranded on any reasonable trip, is not a good proposition. Listed max range is like a MSRP, it never is what it claims to be, price wise, new technology will eventually be out, causing an overpriced bike to devalue badly or possibly to 0 considering the current problems. However there is too much talk of making it mandatory, which means price and quality may not be there when the time comes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When solid state batteries start making an appearance, then I may become interested....Toyota may be bringing out electric vehicles in 2022 with solid state batteries (move over Tesla) and those will be a game changer...charging times will be greatly reduced to a few minutes instead of a few hours...will then only be a matter of time before the solid state batteries begin to appear in motorcycles.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Itchy Boots
Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I heard the Livewire is being discontinued after this year. Most of the places I ride do not have internet , so I am pretty sure there will never be a place to recharge a motorbike. They are for the most part a way to separate a newbie from his money.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
250 Posts
Caint nobody improve my goldurn motorsickle noway nohow. Huh-uh. Itsa purrfick machine and it gotsta have a clutch n muh pipes gots to be LOUD n nobody kin like nuffin else. An iffen day do den day jus dumb.

Kinda sounds dumb to disparage a machine and the people that like it.

·
Registered
2020 HD Low Rider S
14 Posts
Even if we can ride 12 months of the year, the very real idea of being stranded on any reasonable trip, is not a good proposition. Listed max range is like a MSRP, it never is what it claims to be, price wise, new technology will eventually be out, causing an overpriced bike to devalue badly or possibly to 0 considering the current problems. However there is too much talk of making it mandatory, which means price and quality may not be there when the time comes.
Not sure where I said I'd take an electric on a reasonable trip. I want 300 miles and less than 30 minute charge time, but that doesn't mean I'm going anywhere long distance with it. It's a comfort thing, not a battery thing.

Make no mistake, for me, ANY electric vehicle (2/3/4/4+ wheels) is strictly an around town/commuting vehicle. I live in NY. It snows here. I could easily see myself dropping $8-$10k on a Zero for a commuter bike if I could ride it year round.

·
Registered
2020 HD Low Rider S
14 Posts
Caint nobody improve my goldurn motorsickle noway nohow. Huh-uh. Itsa purrfick machine and it gotsta have a clutch n muh pipes gots to be LOUD n nobody kin like nuffin else. An iffen day do den day jus dumb.

Kinda sounds dumb to disparage a machine and the people that like it.
^^^^ This.

Yup. Not like nobody's EVER been stranded hundreds (or thousands) of miles from home in a car with a full tank of gas. ]
People once refused to give up the horse and buggy too.

Technology rolls on, people. Not saying you have to be an early adopter, but you're going to have to adopt eventually. Unless of course you have an affinity for public transportation or are all aboard the shoe-leather express.

·
Registered
29 Posts
By the time the technology gets to where I want it (solid state batteries which charge in minutes, not hours) I will be too old to ride...Toyota is working on solid state batteries, but still at least 2 years (maybe longer) for mass productions, then a few years for the electric motorcycle companies to get their act together for solid state batteries...There is no electric motorcycle on the market which fills my wants at the moment. During riding season, my quick trips are close to 200 miles just riding back country highways/county roads (leave around 10am, back at 4pm). I do not want to be heading home and worrying about if I am going to make it or not...and where I ride, there are 0 charging stations and I doubt the gas stations will allow vehicles to plug into their outside electrical outlets (if they have any) to do any type of charge...heck it is a 80 mile round trip to the nearest Tesla charging station...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Technology rolls on, people. Not saying you have to be an early adopter, but you're going to have to adopt eventually. Unless of course you have an affinity for public transportation or are all aboard the shoe-leather express.
The real problem is not tech, it's that young people are not buying motorcycles. You can't text and ride. Well most people can't :)

Combine that with high cost, and you have zero market for electric motorbikes, at least in the US.

Best case: electric motorcycles are going to be a tiny niche in an already shrinking market IMO.

I live in a large metro area where electric cars are commonplace, but I have yet to see an electric motorcycle. Electric bicycles on the other hand are becoming popular.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I was pessimistic about 2022 as a date for SS battery packs. Range is still not there but NIO is putting SS batteries in their cars late 2022. I still believe it will be 2025 before we get close to 1k miles on a single charge. If your are interested in EVs, this site hosting this link is kind of interesting. It popped into my Google feed early 2020.

One thing I learned from this site is how the shift to LiOn battery manufacturing has impacted SS battery development. They all just spent billions collectively retooling for LiOn...SS retooling means a diminished LiOn ROI so less likely to aggressively pursue SS production. Also, SS batteries have a big problem on cars in that their "electrolytes" will tend to crack in automotive applications and that has to be overcome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts