CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yup read it earlier today....with a faired bike much has to come off.....But I hate line drawings, so I’m not sure. I was wonder if there’s any shortcuts at all just to get to that plug…

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Yup read it earlier today....with a faired bike much has to come off.....But I hate line drawings, so I’m not sure. I was wonder if there’s any shortcuts at all just to get to that plug…
Nope. You will need to remove the right/left front inner cover, front center cowl, right front side cowl and right side shelter. No real reason to remove the rear side cowl. You can pull it back slightly to remove the lower side shelter. Its not difficult to do with the service manual but I would recommend installing all the accessories at the same time.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nope. You will need to remove the right/left front inner cover, front center cowl, right front side cowl and right side shelter. No real reason to remove the rear side cowl. You can pull it back slightly to remove the lower side shelter. Its not difficult to do with the service manual but I would recommend installing all the accessories at the same time.
Yeah, I've done it a couple of times and it's a real PITA. One question for our electrical experts...

When you plug in the Sub harness, you now have several available connectors. You only use one for the ACC harness (and socket harness), so is it possible to get plug in connectors (called Gozinta's if your from Sacramento) to plug in to the Sub harness? I'd like to run a couple of wires up to relays behind the fairing, so that I can later install some other lighting and accessories. The wires I run from the sub harness will just be the trigger wires so they won't have much draw. I'll run power wires from the battery, through an accessory fuse block, to the other side of the relays. I asked our local dealer but his parts guys told me that I'd have to order a complete ACC harness and Socket Harness. I think that there must be a better source for these connectors. Anybody know?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yea, a real PITA. So glad I simple ran a "trigger" line from there to under the seat so all my in line fuses are available. Can't believe Honda put an inline fuse for the heated grips (and the old wire in glass type) next to the harness. You have to strip entire side to check/replace. I almost cut it out and extended it also to under the seat. If it ever blows it definitely getting moved.

If I hadn't had the covers pulled to replace a damaged cover I would have used the running lights as the trigger. Pulling off the inner cover it sounds like you're going to break all the plastic connectors, and I'm sure as the plastic gets older, they will.

·
Registered
99 Posts
There's really no reason or need to go through all the trouble and expense for a second fuse block. The Honda accessory sub harness will connect directly to the wiring harness and give you 4 switched connections for accessories. You can order them from a parts warehouse for about $22.00. The green 3 way connecter to match the harness is shown in the photo. You can order the 3 pin connectors from Motorcycle 2.8mm - 110 Connector and Terminals

Well that does make life easier. So I just need to buy the sub harness from Honda, then the connectors and pins. Does the sub harness provide grounds as well or just the positive feed?

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Well that does make life easier. So I just need to buy the sub harness from Honda, then the connectors and pins. Does the sub harness provide grounds as well or just the positive feed?
Both. With the right connectors, it makes adding most accessories basically plug and play. I do recommend adding a separate switch and fuse to higher draw accessories such as power ports, driving lights, etc. Most of these come with their own harnesses with everything you need or can be ordered separately.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Both. With the right connectors, it makes adding most accessories basically plug and play. I do recommend adding a separate switch and fuse to higher draw accessories such as power ports, driving lights, etc. Most of these come with their own harnesses with everything you need or can be ordered separately.
I was just looking up some parts for the heated grip stuff. Is this same subharness we're talking about the same one that is already included on the fairing models or a different one?

Re: Post 4 here:
http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx700-general-discussion-forum/70074-oem-heated-grips.html

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I just made another harness for another member here using the USB wire from the link in my first post. We both looked at this and decided that we could virtually hide the wire running back from battery all the way up to the triple clamp. It’s so much easier than taking this faired bike apart. Get the trigger wire from the rear tail light wire on the left side And you’re good to go for anything you want to do with ignition on status.

Run this to the front, hidden behind the right frame tubing, and you can power a ton of stuff up front, all for $25 or so....

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=13715&seq=1&format=2

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I was just looking up some parts for the heated grip stuff. Is this same subharness we're talking about the same one that is already included on the fairing models or a different one?

Re: Post 4 here:
http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx700-general-discussion-forum/70074-oem-heated-grips.html
No.The fairing model has a seperate plug-in for the heated grips located under the fairing as part of the faired package. No need for the accessory sub harness unless you have the N model or you plan to add additional accessories besides the heated grips to the faired model.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts