CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
From searching online for a superior bearing to the OEM HONDA NSK 91053-MGS-D31 (6204) (UU) I can’t find anything of better quality in a Timken or SKF that would last longer. Interesting that it is the brake side on both wheels that go bad first. Looks like some considerable corrosion on the bearing. How did the outer seals that protect them look? When you pop the bearing seals off the bad bearings do you find they are dry or have no grease left? Maybe as a preventive maintence every 10,000 miles it might be a good idea to pop the bearing seal off and smear some waterproof marine grease in them. Thanks for posting!! Any time the wheel comes off I will be also checking the bearings. It appears Atarian made it to 63688 mile before bearing change. It all depends on where and how you ride.
100,000 Mile Report....

·
Registered
486 Posts
From searching online for a superior bearing to the OEM HONDA NSK 91053-MGS-D31 (6204) (UU) I can’t find anything of better quality in a Timken or SKF that would last longer.

.............................. Maybe as a preventive maintence every 10,000 miles it might be a good idea to pop the bearing seal off and smear some waterproof marine grease in them. .................
They are called "sealed bearings" because you aren't supposed to open them up and do any PM. I've tried this a couple of times, found you can't get the seal back in place perfectly. So if the bearings and grease are fine, all you have done is start the failure.

It's a $13 bearing - I'll bet it will feel great to have saved $52 when you are stranded somewhere because one failed.

Steve

·
Registered
2015 Honda CTX 700n
41 Posts
agreed.... i would just slam in new ones and be done with it. never bothered to clean sealed bearings on my cars. some economy FWD cars use tapered bearings in the rear instead of using a sealed bolt on unit. i repack those tapered bearings during brake jobs.

Reactions: agrippas
1 - 6 of 6 Posts