CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently returned from a 2, 500 mile trip on my CTX700N. Great trip, the bike ran like a champ. On my return, I had about 10,500 miles so I thought as long as I was cleaning the chain and a few other things, I would replace the air filter (first time). I bought a K & N HA-7012 from Revzilla. After putting everything back together, I had difficulty starting the bike. I recall a discussion from earlier that with a new style air filter the computer needs to figure out the air flow. I eventually got it started. Now it starts right up, but today, I finally had time to take it out on the road to check it out. What I found was the following: the engine seemed a little louder than it did before replacement; acceleration is very slow; it takes forever to get up to 60 mph; and it seems to me like the engine was running hotter than it normally does, though it may be my imagination. The only engine work I did was the air filter, so the problem must be related to it. Has anyone had a similar experience? Or does anyone have a suggestion for trouble shooting?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well I was at my local motorcycle repair shop, I heard the sole proprietor talking on the phone to somebody about their Indian may need some top end work. He told them that unless set up just right, the K&N filter does a terrible job with particulate matter and that might be the reason the engine needed rebuilt top end. I trust this guy implicitly. I have not changed the air filter on the CTX yet, but I certainly will use a stock filter when that time comes in a few months.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've run a K&N for the last 30k miles with no problems. You do have to clean it right and oil it right. If you do it wrong you'll get oil on your sensors which can cause a problem.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700N
53 Posts
I use stock OEM filter. I don’t have a problem with k&n, but I just think sometimes people think if they put an aftermarket high performance air filter in their machine it magically needs no service or replacement

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
With the enormous effort needed to get to the air filter, I could not imagine using anything other than OEM Honda part. IMHO
For a lot of folks, it is scary to strip away the tupperware, but like doing your own tax returns, the first time is a pain, but once you've done it, the next round is a lot less intimidating. If like me, you get to a 4th round of peeling off the pieces, it becomes pretty much a routine (and I'm talking about 20+ pieces, not just the 5 that surround the tank & filter). So consider a DIY, since the dealers will hit you with a hefty charge to do it for you -- put your savings towards your next farkle! :cool:

·
Registered
915 Posts
What did your originsl filter look like. Dirty or just a portion of it dirty. Doesn't sound to me you would need a filter change with so few miles on it.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I was stripping everything off to install the cruise control, and so while in there -- look at the air filter with just over 15,000 miles.

It had a pretty dirty (black) fan under the external air intake, so I decided to change it. Went with the K&N - as so many folks on here recommend it.

And I concur with the advantage of familiarity with removing the plastic. There are surprisingly few bolts, and the rest are easy out body clips and tabs. Just follow the sequence in the manual, and it does go pretty quick.

Maintenance for the air filter includes oil - I double checked, and K&N claim "pre-oiled, ready to ride !"

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
<snip>...
And I concur with the advantage of familiarity with removing the plastic. There are surprisingly few bolts, and the rest are easy out body clips and tabs. Just follow the sequence in the manual, and it does go pretty quick.
<snip>...
And one other thing I do as I put the tupperware back on, I smear on a dab of rubber lube on the grommets. It helps a bit for the next removal.:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts