CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
USN Lifer,
I assume you mean for the manual models. The DCT versions have the gears indicated on the disco-gauge cluster: Drive, Sport, Manual all show gears 1 -- 6.
f

·
Registered
83 Posts
I will be installing a PZRacing gear indicator that I took off my NT700V, I emailed PZRacing and was told that this should work on a CTX700. This will directly plug into the red diagnostics connector that is under the seat. I will let you all how it works out. The neat gimmick of this indicator is that I can change the color of the display.

luke7

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Lifer,
I installed that exact model of gear indicator this winter..Works like a charm and simple to install.Ordered from england and was only 6 days shipping to Vancouver island Can.
Would recommend!!Around $150 cd.
Jaworskii

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lifer,
There is a simple plug in connection going to the service plug under the seat,nothing else to do but plug the unit in and calibrate as per instructions,a six year old can do it!!
Jaworskii

·
Registered
7 Posts
Auto DCT owner will or might need the gear indicator but the manual owner? :) if you ride manual, you should be able to tell what gear you're riding on :)

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
This is one feature that never made sence to me, it was installed backwards to say the least. In reality, the manual mode needs it more then then the auto would. The computer prevents you from shifting out of bounds in auto anyway. And for a couple dollars more this feature could be on the manual version, but wasn't.

aboutCTX700, never ridden a manual have you? With seven gear positions in direct line of each other, it is easy to loose what gear you are in if you are going through them alot depending on terrian and obsticles. Typical riding Isn't a problem.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I think the gear indicator was placed on the DCT due to the manual mode but your right. With 7 positions, its easy to get lost. Spending an extra c-note for the aftermarket indicator is a bit much since it should be standard on all CTX's.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
This is one feature that never made sence to me, it was installed backwards to say the least. In reality, the manual mode needs it more then then the auto would. The computer prevents you from shifting out of bounds in auto anyway. And for a couple dollars more this feature could be on the manual version, but wasn't.

aboutCTX700, never ridden a manual have you? With seven gear positions in direct line of each other, it is easy to loose what gear you are in if you are going through them alot depending on terrian and obsticles. Typical riding Isn't a problem.
I've often wondered about gear indicators. I've been driving manual cars and motorcycles most of my life (30+ years), and never once needed to look to know what gear I was in. You can feel if you're in the right gear - look at the tach, but more importantly feel any sluggishness (downshift) or hear high RPMs (upshift).

Just curious, not busting any balls, but would like to hear why people want to see what gear they're in. I always figured speed, road condition (altitude and incline), situation (passing, cruising, etc) would dictate the gear and you either move up or down as needed.

When coming to a stop, I'd always drop the car into neutral; for the motorcycle I just clicked down a lot until it wouldn't click any more... :)

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
I've often wondered about gear indicators. I've been driving manual cars and motorcycles most of my life (30+ years), and never once needed to look to know what gear I was in. You can feel if you're in the right gear - look at the tach, but more importantly feel any sluggishness (downshift) or hear high RPMs (upshift).

Just curious, not busting any balls, but would like to hear why people want to see what gear they're in. I always figured speed, road condition (altitude and incline), situation (passing, cruising, etc) would dictate the gear and you either move up or down as needed.

When coming to a stop, I'd always drop the car into neutral; for the motorcycle I just clicked down a lot until it wouldn't click any more... :)
With the exception of my CTX due to the higher gearing or any bike I use with a very high load, I rarely ever use 1st, usually only from just starting it and taking off, otherwise second is my lowest gear. I'm also not one to wind out each or any gear, only if I need it I will(not often either). Most times I double shift. I'm also not one for looking at the tach(50% bikes don't have them anyway). I feel and hear the engine and when I'm at the right speed I will shift without looking at the speedo. I also single shift at certian conditions. With my combinations of shifting, usually mid speed traffics(about 35-45 limits) you tend to loose place cause of ever changing traffic, multiple shifting, speeds and take off's, you can easily loose place.

Dropping to first or any low gear from a high speed will wind the trans and can provide a very vigorus clunk, so drooping to first is not always a good way to find your place. And then if you tap to high, you can dog it out. So a quick glance at that time can save you the trouble.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I remember doing my MSF training on a Honda Rebel and what gear I was in was pretty irrelevant except for wanting to be in 1st from a dead stop. We never went any higher than 3rd anyway. Typically you can use the tach if you have one, or the sound of the engine to know when it's time to shift up or down. Knowing what specific gear I was in just didn't seem to be a big issue to me. If it was the right gear, it just sounded right. To each his or her own though.

Now on my DCT I do watch a little closer and I might bump the speed up a little higher if I catch myself driving on the speed border of the 5 to 6 shift point just to get the bike into 6th to get the best economy.

In the inverse I use the tach a lot more on my Honda Civic. I've learned that by controlling throttle pressure the Civic auto transmission will upshift at or below 3,000 RPM which optimizes fuel economy. The difference can amount to up to 10 mpg. I'm sure the same applies to the CTX, but in this case I need to keep my head up and watch whats going on around me. The Civic's analog tach is more in my field of view and much easier to read than the CTX's sliding bar.

Jack

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I guess I'm just spoiled. I like having a gear indicator so I don't have to hunt for gears and it really comes in handy when finding neutral. The advantages are less wear and tear on the mind, body and transmission. Its really a moot point since I own the DCT and don't have to worry about any of that. Its all about the ride now! Nothing beats twist and go with the DCT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts