CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTX700N DCT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to replace my exhaust system to something a bit more noticeable to the cagers out there.

I am in NYC, and being heard would be safer than being hit.

BUT.... I live on a quiet street and like my neighbors AND I value my hearing without needing to wear ear plugs.

I can see tons of available systems, but the pics don't show how loud they are.

Whatever you can teach me would be great!

·
Registered
2014 manual, naked version,Corbin, Bodis exhaust,factory bags, MRA windscreen, center stand
93 Posts
I really like my Bodis. Expensive, but not offensive. When I drive my bike into my attached garage my wife only hears me half the time. Sounds pleasing when cruising and going through the gears. Looks great too.
all of this is my opinion.

Reactions: revski

·
Registered
2014 CTX700N DCT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like my Bodis. Expensive, but not offensive. When I drive my bike into my attached garage my wife only hears me half the time. Sounds pleasing when cruising and going through the gears. Looks great too.
all of this is my opinion.
Thanks,

That is pretty.

Also pretty big and pretty expensive!

But it looks nice, how is the sound for 'safety'?

·
Registered
2015 Honda CTX 700n
78 Posts
i like the OEM style quality, it looks worth it.

when i bought my borla catback for my veloster turbo, it was the only one on the market that didnt look like cheap garbage. the price also reflected that... it was one of the more expensive selections short of titanium. it was heavy SS and i needed some header bolts cracked and drilled so i let a shop install it. after months on my car it still looks brand new and sounds only a little louder than stock. i had to replace it because the stock catback was starting to rot out after 7 NE winters. it is certainly going to outlast my car at this point.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would like to replace my exhaust system to something a bit more noticeable to the cagers out there.
BUT.... I live on a quiet street and like my neighbors AND I value my hearing without needing to wear ear plugs.
Motorcycles and hearing damage often go together. With a stock exhaust I still wear ear plugs.
Nor will a picture ever tell you how loud it is. Plus loudness at full throttle is useless info since we almost never ride around at full throttle.

If you want to subscribe to the fallacy that “loud bikes save lives” you can. That’s the beauty of America!! The reality is that the person who runs you over because they aren’t paying attention is still going to run you over with a louder exhaust. Note “louder” not “loud” because you still have a catalytic converter and you still are running at low throttle openings so with the loudest exhaust you can get you still won’t sound even remotely like a Top Fuel car making a run. Now queue the people with the anecdotal stories of how they “almost” got run over were it not for their straight pipes.

If you want to improve your survivability here’s what I suggest.

1 – Put on a louder horn and use it. If I see someone ahead and I am doubting their attentiveness, the Horn button gets hit. Can’t count the number of times on my bike or in a vehicle when the horn blowing got someone’s attention and took me out of danger.

2 – Ride smarter. I ride with the assumption that at least one of the people nearby is an idiot. So, I ride behind another vehicle so that vehicle gets spotted or hit and not me. Forty feet is plenty of space to avoid a pot hole. Don’t pull out so you are leading the line of vehicles, pull out so you are at the end of the line. I ride as little as possible alongside another vehicle and actively adjust speed so I am not in their blindspot. I watch my rear view mirrors and will manuever so that person is not behind me when it’s obvious they can’t stay off their damned phone. I press the turn signal LONG before I need to slow down and then watch the person behind me. If they are paying attention they will slow and increase the distance between us. If they don’t I blow the horn. Note on that, don’t signal and then go past a turn where someone is sitting to pull out, might as well put a bullseye on yourself doing that. And so forth…….

If you still want to be in the “loud motorcycles are safer” club. Mount a speaker on your front fender, hook it up to a system that plays on a loop “Ride of the Valkyries” (military vets get that), “Thunderstruck” and “Highway to Hell” and crank it up when needed.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
Best riding tip ever:
Rectangle Font Circle Number Logo

Always assume everyone is trying to murder you.

·
Registered
2014 CTX700N DCT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Motorcycles and hearing damage often go together. With a stock exhaust I still wear ear plugs.

Nor will a picture ever tell you how loud it is. Plus loudness at full throttle is useless info since we almost never ride around at full throttle.

If you want to subscribe to the fallacy that “loud bikes save lives” you can. That’s the beauty of America!! The reality is that the person who runs you over because they aren’t paying attention is still going to run you over with a louder exhaust. Note “louder” not “loud” because you still have a catalytic converter and you still are running at low throttle openings so with the loudest exhaust you can get you still won’t sound even remotely like a Top Fuel car making a run. Now queue the people with the anecdotal stories of how they “almost” got run over were it not for their straight pipes.

1 – Put on a louder horn and use it. If I see someone ahead and I am doubting their attentiveness, the Horn button gets hit. Can’t count the number of times on my bike or in a vehicle when the horn blowing got someone’s attention and took me out of danger.

2 – Ride smarter. I ride with the assumption that at least one of the people nearby is an idiot. So, I ride behind another vehicle so that vehicle gets spotted or hit and not me. Forty feet is plenty of space to avoid a pot hole. Don’t pull out so you are leading the line of vehicles, pull out so you are at the end of the line. I ride as little as possible alongside another vehicle and actively adjust speed so I am not in their blindspot. I watch my rear view mirrors and will manuever so that person is not behind me when it’s obvious they can’t stay off their damned phone. I press the turn signal LONG before I need to slow down and then watch the person behind me. If they are paying attention they will slow and increase the distance between us. If they don’t I blow the horn. Note on that, don’t signal and then go past a turn where someone is sitting to pull out, might as well put a bullseye on yourself doing that. And so forth…….

If you still want to be in the “loud motorcycles are safer” club. Mount a speaker on your front fender, hook it up to a system that plays on a loop “Ride of the Valkyries” (military vets get that), “Thunderstruck” and “Highway to Hell” and crank it up when needed.

Steve
The issue is there are 2 million cars in a very small area.

To be smart, you need to leverage EVERY option you have.

Safer riding, check.

Louder Horn, check.

Reflective gear (all armored), check.

If a louder pipe can get a higher percentage (not expecting %100, I'll take %10) to have some awareness, I will take it.

I have watched, on multiple occasions in traffic, when someone with loud pipes comes up the cagers notice (more).

Ergo; louder pipes = safer riding...

Besides, I am not Coppola, I would go for Steppenwolf.

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
Problem is the pipes are pointed in the wrong direction....

Actually saw Steppenwolf in concert in Lawton, OK 1977 (y)

·
Registered
2014 CTX700N DCT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem is the pipes are pointed in the wrong direction....

Actually saw Steppenwolf in concert in Lawton, OK 1977 (y)
Steppenwolf in concert, very cool!

Again, I am in an urban environment, the sound echoes and will carry in all directions, not highway speeds, rarely above 30mph in the city.

Louder pipes are affective, but I don't want to lose hearing or be 'that guy' with the obnoxious bike.

Please throw as many suggestions as you can for safety, I use as many as I can apply. I am a fairly noob rider.

Do remember, Brooklyn is not Greensboro or Alexandria. We have 2,000,000 cars in the city (3 million with commuters), that 10x as many vehicles as total population in the aforementioned cities.

And most can't drive for sh1t....

BTW, I have always loved that Carlin quote. Sadly, more than half the people I mention it to don't understand it.

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
Take the muffler off and go for a ride. That is as loud as it gets. It is a siamesed single exhaust port going through a catalyst.

On the highway, the drone is gonna kill you, but it still won't be loud.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have koffmans shortie exhaust and it has removable baffles to set the volume how you want. I have all the baffles in and it's neighbor friendly and easy on the ears but makes it sound more like a motorcycle. If safety is your concern then watch dandan the fireman on YouTube. statistics show 3/4 of motorcycle accidents are the motorcyclists falt. Just as many idiots on motorcycles as cars. Just my opinion. Stay safe and enjoy the ride and 🏍

·
Registered
2014 CTX700N DCT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate the few answers to my question, thanks!

I also appreciate the "ride safely" advice, I read and look at everything on safety that I see on this site.

I am getting the impression that people think I want to use a loud pipe as a force field, not so.

I took the MS Course (very helpful, it saved my life already a few times), I wear protective gear, I ride like a granny (no offense to the really bad-ass grannies out there!), etc....

I ride %99 in NYC. Fairly low-speed, mostly straight streets. Millions of cars, inexperienced drivers, hustling cabbies/ubers, hassled delivery guys, lunatic bike/ebike/scooter drivers.

I have the amazingly quiet stock exhaust, and would be happy to leave it on. EXCEPT, I see that bikers with loud(er) pipes are noticed more/sooner by other vehicles than I am. It won't work all the time, or even most of the time. But every little bit helps.

I want this as a defensive mod, not as a way to be offensive.

Again, thanks for the feedback!!!!

·
Registered
750 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTX700N DCT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you live in New York State check the attached video at the 1:30 mark. It may now be illegal to replace your muffler. I would call your local dealer that does inspections and find out exactly what will pass and highest decibel level allowed.
Governor Hochul Signs Legislation Cracking Down on Noisy, Illegal Mufflers and Exhaust Systems to Protect Public Health, Safety and Quality of Life
This I hadn't heard.

I guess I am screwed, ah well.

Thank you very much, you saved me time and $

·
Registered
2014 manual, naked version,Corbin, Bodis exhaust,factory bags, MRA windscreen, center stand
93 Posts
My Bodis is definitely not loud enough to make a difference at high speeds. On acceleration it might be more noticeable. If you're looking for the Harley obnoxious loud noise this isn't for you. There are videos on YouTube that might give you a better idea.

Reactions: revski

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also. I am in Rochester, New York and it passed inspection without a problem at the Honda dealership.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts

Steve
Spot on!! Thanks for taking the time to comment! Cheers!

·
Registered
2014 Naked
59 Posts

I replaced my stock exhaust with a “Supertrapp”. They are available on eBay, JP Cycles, or ask any of your Harley friends if they have one they’re not using. They’re “plug and play”, easy to install, and have a great sound.

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
i like the OEM style quality, it looks worth it.

when i bought my borla catback for my veloster turbo, it was the only one on the market that didnt look like cheap garbage. the price also reflected that... it was one of the more expensive selections short of titanium. it was heavy SS and i needed some header bolts cracked and drilled so i let a shop install it. after months on my car it still looks brand new and sounds only a little louder than stock. i had to replace it because the stock catback was starting to rot out after 7 NE winters. it is certainly going to outlast my car at this point.
????????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts