CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the brake pedal a little too far of a reach for my normal foot position so I adjusted it where it sits back about an inch closer to me. Once you remove the plastic side cover you can see the U shaped bracket where the arrow is pointing that the large shiny threaded rod goes through with a cotter pin through it's end. Hold the nut closest to the master cylinder and turn the nut closet to the U shaped bracket. You might measure it first so you can see how much you are moving it. I can't remember which way is back or forward but you will figure it out. Test ride before putting plastic back on. It sure made it easier and more controllable to use the back brake.

brakeped s.jpg

·
Registered
975 Posts
I may slightly adjust the pedal as well. While it is good that it is far enough away that I don't accidentally rest my foot on it, I've found that I some times miss the rear brake pedal when I brake and hit only the front even as I am making the motion to hit the rear simultaneously.

Maybe just a very slight adjustment would give me a happy medium. Thanks for the great information and instructions!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Excellent, and thanks. I'll be making this adjustment today.

Reactions: fjones

·
Registered
842 Posts
Pedal extender?

I found the brake pedal a little too far of a reach for my normal foot position so I adjusted it where it sits back about an inch closer to me. Once you remove the plastic side cover you can see the U shaped bracket where the arrow is pointing that the large shiny threaded rod goes through with a cotter pin through it's end. Hold the nut closest to the master cylinder and turn the nut closet to the U shaped bracket. You might measure it first so you can see how much you are moving it. I can't remember which way is back or forward but you will figure it out. Test ride before putting plastic back on. It sure made it easier and more controllable to use the back brake.

View attachment 1210
Great job. While the position is fine for my leg length, I find myself just using the top right 1/4 of the pedal. Any advice on extenders to clamp on, or is that not a good idea?

Ride Safe, Ride Often
f

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great job. While the position is fine for my leg length, I find myself just using the top right 1/4 of the pedal. Any advice on extenders to clamp on, or is that not a good idea?

Ride Safe, Ride Often
f
I would get an old brake pedal and cut off the pad part and have a welder weld it on the ctx to make it wider. Bolting just seams not the thing to do. Brake pedals are strong metal for a reason.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This was an especially helpful adjustment for after installing Kurykan floorboards, very happy with the result. Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just did this adjustment. Worked perfectly, thanks!

Out of curiosity, I tried to look up the procedure in the official workshop manual and couldn't find it in there. Strange...

·
Banned
1,571 Posts
good stuff
I'm sure I'll need to do it when I get boards
do you need to adjust the brake light switch as on most other bikes?

·
Registered
18 Posts
funny I called Honda and they told me the adjustment was a allen bolt right next to the oil filter in the front of the motor. I see the allen bolt but can anyone confirm what its for? I would like to adjust my pedal forward or away from me for I have big feet and have to hold my foot back to avoid riding rear brake.

·
Registered
198 Posts
good stuff
I'm sure I'll need to do it when I get boards
do you need to adjust the brake light switch as on most other bikes?
Yes, anytime you adjust the rear brake pedal position you need to adjust the rear brake light switch.
If you adjust the pedal up / back so it is closer to you and you don't adjust the switch you may find that you can apply the brake without turning on the rear brake light.
If you adjust the pedal down / away you may find that the rear brake light is on all the time.
Both scenarios are bad.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I like to adjust this brake to be closer as well. I did not know there was an adjustment avail.

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the brake switch for the rear brake so it turn on a the proper time?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I couldn't reach the pedal easily and some time ago I zip tied a 1x2 the width of the pedal to it. 2 zip ties hold it tight and now I can stop the bike with rear brake. I'll probably fix it the correct way tho.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How to move pedal forward

Thanks Bill, for the post and the picture. I thought I would add the procedure for moving the pedal forward or away from the rider. Just a warning though, I made the adjustments last night without consulting the service manual. I rode this morning and survived, so I can vouch for the procedure as far as that goes. Basically, the instructions are the opposite for moving the pedal back/closer as in Bill's original post. Instead of holding the nut closest to the master cylinder and turning the nut closest to the U-shaped bracket. You turn the nut closest to the master cylinder (no need to hold the other nut). That "nut" at the master cylinder is actually a bolt head. That bolt is threaded through and into the U-shaped bracket and has the cotter pin through the end. Turning the bolt head clockwise moves the whole bolt rearward through the other nut and further into the U-shaped bracket while moving the brake pedal forward. In this way, the nut at the bracket acts as a stop/spacer. I went all the way until the head of the bolt came into contact with the nut which, I assume, must be the furthest forward the pedal can go...13" measured from the clutch housing cover to the forward edge of the pedal as shown in the picture Even at this position, I did not have to adjust the rear brake light.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts