CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone,

New to the forum, from the Philly area, but I've been reading a ton of stuff around here which has been great wealth of info. I came across a post that a bunch of people are running adjustable clutch levers and brake levers from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K8HX8SA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. So they just came in today while I was putting them on I thought to measure the difference in cable pull at the motor. The difference between the stock lever and these after market levers is ~1/10th of an inch if you set the lever to anything under 5 of 6 adjustments available, which defeats the purpose of adjustable levers as at 5/6 or 6/6 they are as far if not further from the handle bar then the stock lever. I have not had a chance to ride the bike as its raining tonight. So finally the question, has anyone had any problems with this set up shifting hard, wearing out the clutch plates, or any other issues?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Not sure I understand the problem. So they have 6 settings, on setting 5 and 6 they are further out than the stock, and 1-4 closer? That’s the purpose, to give less or more distance than the fixed stock.

As far as issues, I have adjustable levers on 2 bikes, and no issues. And actually, on 1 bike (hydraulic clutch on a BMW K1200S) it is a life saver since the stock was designed for gorilla hands. The lever not only shortened the distance, it brought the engagement/disengagement point much closer to the grip, as opposed to almost at being all the way out, greatly reducing travel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Evangelos while the settings of 1-4 are closer the lever does not pull the cable enough. You are correct that they bring the engagement point further back but at setting 1-4 its comes back further then the lever can pull. At setting 1 the bike is starting to engage the clutch while pulled all the way in, even if you set the free play to the minimum 10mm per the Honda manual.

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
Good evening everyone,

New to the forum, from the Philly area, but I've been reading a ton of stuff around here which has been great wealth of info. I came across a post that a bunch of people are running adjustable clutch levers and brake levers from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K8HX8SA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. So they just came in today while I was putting them on I thought to measure the difference in cable pull at the motor. The difference between the stock lever and these after market levers is ~1/10th of an inch if you set the lever to anything under 5 of 6 adjustments available, which defeats the purpose of adjustable levers as at 5/6 or 6/6 they are as far if not further from the handle bar then the stock lever. I have not had a chance to ride the bike as its raining tonight. So finally the question, has anyone had any problems with this set up shifting hard, wearing out the clutch plates, or any other issues?

Thanks in advance.
I have had this same set of levers on my trike for months with no issues and no regrets. Go for it!

And BTW, welcome from Florida, the land of 333 day riding seasons!! Reading this thread right now we all know where you are from, but the next time you post, we may not have a clue (especially us old guys!). So, let me suggest that you put your city/state/region in your profile (at least your state). Knowing where you are in general terms, helps readers of your future posts to have a "context" to draw on.

Here's how to edit your Profile for your location:

1) Click on "User CP" tab in the upper right corner of this screen. If you don't see it, you are not at the top level. Scroll all the way up and it is just under the Search dialog.
2) Once on the User CP (Control Panel) page you'll see "Edit Your Details" click on the upper left side frame entry labeled "Your Profile"
3) Now scroll down to "Additional Information" & click "Location." Just put in your location at whatever level of detail you prefer (Country, Region, State/Prov, and/or City).
4) Continue to scroll down until you see "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page, click that and you are done.
:D

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Evangelos while the settings of 1-4 are closer the lever does not pull the cable enough. You are correct that they bring the engagement point further back but at setting 1-4 its comes back further then the lever can pull. At setting 1 the bike is starting to engage the clutch while pulled all the way in, even if you set the free play to the minimum 10mm per the Honda manual.
It will be pretty obvious if the clutch is slipping or not disengaging properly. Like I said, I have had no issues, neither Bob, as per his post. You do have headroom in the cable, otherwise you would have to adjust it all the time if it only worked with 100% set accuracy.

I haven’t found the need to go below setting 3 on mine. The lower settings, like you described, will require the cable to be closer to spec, as a loose cable would be more obvious with a low setting. But there are plenty of bikes with adjustable levers from stock, and they work the same way. It will be obvious when the clutch is not working properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good evening everyone,

New to the forum, from the Philly area, but I've been reading a ton of stuff around here which has been great wealth of info. I came across a post that a bunch of people are running adjustable clutch levers and brake levers from amazon Amazon.com: 9sparts Black CNC Anodized Aluminum Adjustable Foldable Short Shorty Levers Brake Clutch Lever for 2014-2016 Honda CTX700 N D ND DCT, 2012-2013 Honda NC700S NC700X NC700XD : Automotive. So they just came in today while I was putting them on I thought to measure the difference in cable pull at the motor. The difference between the stock lever and these after market levers is ~1/10th of an inch if you set the lever to anything under 5 of 6 adjustments available, which defeats the purpose of adjustable levers as at 5/6 or 6/6 they are as far if not further from the handle bar then the stock lever. I have not had a chance to ride the bike as its raining tonight. So finally the question, has anyone had any problems with this set up shifting hard, wearing out the clutch plates, or any other issues?

Thanks in advance.
I just had the same thing with a 2010 Harley Trike. My wife's hands are small and she has an issue with the clutch lever distance. Had adjustable levers installed and they are useless because if they get moved any closer than stock distance the clutch will not fully disengage. Adjustable brake is perfect but useless for the clutch. Purchased at HD Dealer and had installed there so hoping they stand good for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts