CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the location of the information for installing accessories. Gives me a better idea of what I am willing to install myself and what I would rather the dealership install. I just need a torque wrench, now.
http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/MAIN010.aspx

Reactions: jmc and Pete

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I added an accessories outlet to my scooter with parts I got at NAPA. It was an evenings work. It looked like the supports and rear carrier parts would take an afternoon in the shade. Now I have to get a torque wrench and they are on sale at the Lowe's in town. Yeah.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow! I've installed a lot of accessories on my bikes over the years, but for what they have listed for the heated grip attachments - I may just leave that one for the dealer. It pretty much goes like this: Step 1, disassemble the entire motorcycle...

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was thinking I would leave the electrical stuff to the pros and do the rack and bags myself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow! I've installed a lot of accessories on my bikes over the years, but for what they have listed for the heated grip attachments - I may just leave that one for the dealer. It pretty much goes like this: Step 1, disassemble the entire motorcycle...
LOL. So definitely get that option from Honda then going aftermarket.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Does anybody know where the accessories outlet is installed on a CTX700T ?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anybody know where the accessories outlet is installed on a CTX700T ?
I think the accessories outlet will be in the cubby hole.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I installed the inner support, rear carrier, and rear rack this weekend. You have to remove the rear quarter panels. A hex key and phillips screwdriver is all you need to remove the panels (pop in panel plugs easy to remove and re-use. (1) Inner support - 3 bolts each, (2) rear carrier - rubber grommet, spacers and two bolts each, (3) rear rack - 4 bolts. Took about 60-90 minutes - mostly to figure out how to remove the panels - no instruction booklet came with the parts except what you can find online in the accessories site.
I then added my Givi topcase plate that I've used on my 2 previous scoots - back to commuting with storage:).

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the parts to install the side case mounts and the rear rack, though I don't have the funds for the side cases, yet. I'll be mounting my Givi V46 on the rear rack.

The part that baffles me on the install of the side case mounts, is that they have you start at the front of the bike, removing the radiator covers. You then get to remove the side shelters, muffler cover, the left rear under cover, and pivot covers, just to get to the front hook stays. Are the plastics that layered over each other, that I have to undress the entire beast, just to get to those hooks? Crazy!

Luckily, I have the service manual to guide me to where all of the bolts, screws, push-pins and tabs are, so I reduce the risk of breaking something. We'll see how long it takes.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I installed the inner support, rear carrier, and rear rack this weekend.

glad to see some pictures of the rear carrier. I can't believe they cover up so much of nice looking rear cowl with large winged brackets (I think I am seeing things right I hope). Looks sturdy but kills the look somewhat. Maybe Honda should have painted them factory colors. Just my opinion. Good work there Black_Bird.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I get my bike and look at the bracket I might see if my paint guy can match the bike and paint the exterior of the bracket. They use high tech matching for cars so I am pretty sure they can do the bracket.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rear rack assembly (3 components - had to add the inside mount although dealer's listing didn't say it was needed) cost a bit over 3 bills. A bit steep for six pieces of metal and a few bolts, but I expected it. The paint finish definitely doesn't match the shiny black of the bike and is a bit cumbersome, but for me, adds necessary storage and I am ecstatic to have it.

I have about 300 miles on it so far (darn rainy season in Florida!) and have played around with the shifting a bit - loving the DCT more and more as I get used to it and learn to override it when desired.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Rear rack assembly (3 components - had to add the inside mount although dealer's listing didn't say it was needed) cost a bit over 3 bills. A bit steep for six pieces of metal and a few bolts, but I expected it. The paint finish definitely doesn't match the shiny black of the bike and is a bit cumbersome, but for me, adds necessary storage and I am ecstatic to have it.

I have about 300 miles on it so far (darn rainy season in Florida!) and have played around with the shifting a bit - loving the DCT more and more as I get used to it and learn to override it when desired.
Too bad you got rain. We will have 102degrees Sunday and I am going on a 200 mile ride up into the mountains where cooler but will be hot returning home, I am up to 693 miles and leaning more about the power band working well around 3700 so that is my new 6th gear cruise.

The DCT model in 6th gear has the same gear ratio at the transmission output shaft as the manual trans version but your rear sprocket has 4 teeth less and the primary ratio going to the transmission is 1.921 where the manual is 1.731 so DCT has higher ratio up front and lower ration in the back probably make them pretty even as far as rpms at 70mph I bet.

There are lots of spray cans of black so matching should be easy if you ever want to match it. If you had a Red bike, it would be very hard.

The main thing it is better to have a super strong rack of a different color than one that matches the color of the bike but is limited to 10 pounds. we all load more than that sometimes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ordered the CTX700D and looking to do the Backrest, carrier and Bags myself. Can you give any more specifics on removal of the panels? Is it a few bolts and pop them off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see the instructions state to check the service manual several times - Any idea where to get one?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I see the instructions state to check the service manual several times - Any idea where to get one?
Yep, order it from dealer once you get your bike. Usually if you bought a bike from them they will give you a discount. My discount was 10%

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ordered the CTX700D and looking to do the Backrest, carrier and Bags myself. Can you give any more specifics on removal of the panels? Is it a few bolts and pop them off.
Not difficult, just have to be careful with the plastics. Take the seat off, remove two hex head bolts above the rear taillight, about 3-4 of the little plastic inserts (phillips screwdriver) on each side (have to reach inside the rear fender area for some) and then wiggle the quarter panels out of about 3 body tabs. Once off, the bolt holes for the inside mount takes 3 bolts and then you can mount the carrier, back rest, etc. I didn't get the saddlebags so don't know how they fit. On the quarter panels, you also have to remove the small covers that the carrier bolts through (two small screws), install a rubber grommet in their place, and then add two spacers to keep the carrier a few mm above the quarter panels (all parts supplied).

1 - 20 of 55 Posts