CTX 700 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
If when you get stuck with the bar try what the guy does in the video. He turns the bike off , turns the key on and continually holds the front brake while he pushes the starter button, starts the bike and manipulates the transmission buttons. See page 99 of the owners manual on what to do when you get the “-“ blinking indicator. Possibly it is some type of safety feature where the computer can see through the ABS system that the brake is on and will allow the bike to shift without fear of it running out from under you. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
... Possibly it is some type of safety feature where the computer can see through the ABS system that the brake is on and will allow the bike to shift without fear of it running out from under you. ...

You can find this advice in your owner's manual, in troubleshooting section (p104).

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
howdy, just a word of encouragement here. all the responses and the patience of darth-- have been very mature. i used to be like he in some ways with the attitude, like, mother i'd like to do it myself but now that it hurts like h*^* just to try to check the tire pressure, i buy new machines and have them serviced and repaired at the dealer. to me it seems like there are unseen little gremlins running around in his electrical system taking a bite wherever they get hungry and i fall out with some who have suggested that the computer itself is the culprit whether from variations in electrical supply or something else. it could be as simple as a loose ground wire somewhere which when presented with something like a brake application momentarily arcs and gives the cpu a stomach ache.
kudos to darth--
ken

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
howdy, just a word of encouragement here. all the responses and the patience of darth-- have been very mature. i used to be like he in some ways with the attitude, like, mother i'd like to do it myself but now that it hurts like h*^* just to try to check the tire pressure, i buy new machines and have them serviced and repaired at the dealer. to me it seems like there are unseen little gremlins running around in his electrical system taking a bite wherever they get hungry and i fall out with some who have suggested that the computer itself is the culprit whether from variations in electrical supply or something else. it could be as simple as a loose ground wire somewhere which when presented with something like a brake application momentarily arcs and gives the cpu a stomach ache.
kudos to darth--
ken
Most likely. Mods haven't been addressed either. Its been my experience that most riders installing electrical mods to their bikes rarely take the time or do the research to do a professional electrical connection. They will poorly wire in accessories willy nilly allowing vibration and moisture contamination to destroy the connection over time. This ultimately leads to failures in the electrical system and can get very expensive as critical parts fail. Used bikes are especially prone to this sort of issue because there's no way of knowing what work was done previously without tearing the bike down and inspecting every inch of the wiring harness. I've found many sellers will rip out their mods trying to return the bike to stock but won't bother to repair their connection properly. Just wrap some tape at the connection point and then cover it all back up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
kudos to darth--
ken
Thank you so much for the words of encouragement Ken,

Being in my late 40s, I'm beginning to understand where you're coming from, and have thought about "letting someone else do it for me".
But, old habits die hard.....and sometimes our pragmatism can get in the way of getting things done efficiently and effectively.

With all that's gone on with my bike over this year, it has really put my love for motorcycles to the test, and I honestly, wouldn't have it any other way.

What good is a device if you never feel the need to learn more about it?

Thanks again to everyone on this thread for their help and advice, feels good man.

John

·
Registered
526 Posts
It is just a machine designed and built by humans and all machines fail occasionally mostly due to individual components failing rather than a failure of its total design. I think you can take comfort that the DCT transmission of the CTX has proven itself reliable just by Goggling CTX DCT issues and seeing that over the years there are very few complaints and also the fact that Honda has not made any major changes to the system since 2013 to fix any obvious flaws that would cost them in sales or warranty issues. So this problem can be solved. It has always been my philosophy like you that if a human built it I as a human can fix it if given access to its design theory and using a set testing protocol to isolate the problem. I appreciate your posts that prompt me to do the research into your problem that has given me a better understanding of my bike and will help me in the future in diagnosing any problems that I might encounter. So if it helps many are benefiting from you sharing your unfortunate experience with us.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
And whether you figure it out, or have someone else do it, PLEASE share your solution so we all can learn. Best of luck and hope it turns out simpler than its appearing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
And whether you figure it out, or have someone else do it, PLEASE share your solution so we all can learn. Best of luck and hope it turns out simpler than its appearing.

That was my plan,

Parts are on order, I may have them this week if all goes well.

I'm swapping out the shifter motor and the bearings for all the reduction gears first.

I'm also debating taking back the lead battery I bought....

I will report back if that fixes this issue, or doesn't. :)

John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
HI Everyone,

Update on this issue:

The shifter motor arrived yesterday along with extra pieces I thought I might need (bearings for the reductions gears, new gasket, and the spacers for the housing).
I just replaced the motor itself earlier this afternoon and took the bike for a spin.
I rode it for about 30 minutes through back roads and through downtown Kent; then took it through one of my favorite twisty roads that runs along a river.
I rode it in drive mode as well as sport mode, and then finally kicked it into manual mode for the final stretch back home.

The bike handled very well.

Of course, the issues I was experiencing didn't present themselves until I had ridden to work (32 miles), parked and then began the ride home.

With that in mind, I'm going to take her to work this next week and see how she does.

My thoughts on what caused this:
1. I took about 4 months off from riding in January 2017, when I fell off the bike on an icy road. perhaps that time period and the incident itself exacerbated this issue.
2. When I changed the oil, I noticed for the first time that the oil was black and rather thick. Typically when I perform oil changes the oil is just a little darker in color.
3. Knowing that, I wonder if the oil consistency put undue pressure on components that were already wearing thin.
4. Once the sensors began failing, perhaps it started a cascade of failures that culminated in my shifter motor finally giving out.

I'm still not %100 certain the shifter motor was the culprit, but things look pretty positive at this point.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in and offered support.

John

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Maybe your bike just doesn't like going to work? On the positive side glad things are looking up

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I've enjoyed reading this thread and noting how people have chimed in with mostly positive suggestions. It would be good if things work out smoothly with no more problems. As I have 6" of snow on the ground, even though Winter is still over a month away, the salt trucks have already poured tons of the corrosive and slippery crystals on the ground, so when my buddy comes over to watch the Grey Cup with me next week, out to the shed it goes.
Phil

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hi Everyone,

Update on my bike:

I haven't taken her to work all these weeks due to the cold and wet weather we've been having.

But this morning, things dried up enough for me to try.....

I didn't even make it out of town, before the bike wouldn't shift out of 5th gear again.

blinking dash symbol on the gear shift indicator and all.

I was able to get it back home and drive my car into work, and there it sits for the foreseeable future....in my garage.

I'm sure when I plug the diagnostic tool into it, it will give me a different error code to follow, but at this point, I think I'm done throwing money at this bike.

Thanks for all your input throughout this endeavor. This has been a really great sounding board for me, and there's been seriously good advice thrown out.

John

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
howdy, well, as my dad would have said, "that's a revoltin' developement". that said, i'll also throw out that i have seen him work for days on the furnace in the basement to fix it enough to heat the house for us when i would think, why not just call a furnace repairman to come fix it. he ended up fixing it many times without taking money from the food budjet to do it. when we sold the farm with the house, the septic tank had over flowed into the basement, the roof had to be replaced, the electrical system had to be entirely replaced, the heating system had to be entirely replaced and the main beam across the middle of the house that kept it from falling into the basement had to be replaced. the real estate agent told me the house and outbuildings were worthless and the place only worth 16,000 bucks. i traded it for a house in town worth 57,000 and the buyer paid off the remaining 3,000 on the loan and gave us 5,000 to boot so i got 65,000 bucks for a place only worth 16,000. that's what dad taught me with his example of making a silk purse out of a sows ear.
kudos
ken

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Well everyone, this will be my final update on this bike, as I'm trading it in for an Africa Twin DCT.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and well wishes.

I've been eyeballing the AT since it came out two years ago, and threw a leg over one last week.That cinched the deal for me.

Dealership is offering me $2400 trade in value for my CTX, and at this point, I'm cutting my losses and moving forward.

Here's hoping I land on my feet.

John

·
Registered
817 Posts
John,
Don't be a stranger.
Come back and give us an update on the Africa Twin.
I am sure many of us would like to hear about it.
Congrats on the Africa Twin.

Doug

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sounds like you made out well. I would also be interested in your impressions of the new bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
John,
Don't be a stranger.
Come back and give us an update on the Africa Twin.
I am sure many of us would like to hear about it.
Congrats on the Africa Twin.

Doug
Thank you.

I promise to report back, it's a taller bike than the CTX, but it seemed manageable.

It also seemed to have a pretty low center of gravity similar to the CTX.

I'm really excited to get it next week.

Sounds like you made out well. I would also be interested in your impressions of the new bike.

I was hoping to get at least 2k for the bike, but due to it having 40k+ miles on it, wasn't expecting what they offered.

I feel like the stars are aligning for me on this one.

On another note. Honda is offering a 60 month extended warranty on this bike!
I'll be buying that later next year.

John

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Thanks for the updates as you tried various solutions. From what I hear, you will love the AT.

May you have many miles without need for anything other than gas, oil and filters.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well everyone, this will be my final update on this bike, as I'm trading it in for an Africa Twin DCT.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and well wishes.

I've been eyeballing the AT since it came out two years ago, and threw a leg over one last week.That cinched the deal for me.

Dealership is offering me $2400 trade in value for my CTX, and at this point, I'm cutting my losses and moving forward.
Here's hoping I land on my feet.

John
The Africa Twin is a beautiful bike and is what I would have designed back in the 80’s to be the ultimate dual purpose bike for what I would use it for but unfortunately now at my age the only off- roading I do is strictly unintentional. I don’t know what I would do to the thing to make it any better so far as design! I assume you told the dealer of the DCT problems you were having with CTX. It is interesting that with all of the problems you had with it you are buying another DCT. I think it is a testament to once you get used to the DCT its hard to go back to a manual shift unless it’s a true performance bike that demands a manual transmission. If you could and since you are buying another DCT explain to the dealer how much time, effort and money you put into fixing the CTX and ask as part of the deal they let you know what the true problem was with the CTX. You got to be dying to know after all of your effort what was the true cause of your problems and everyone here would appreciate any incites into what caused it to fail. Good luck to you and I am jealous as **** because I think Africa Twin is the the bike I always dreamed of having in my youth. Honda stole my design and built the bike too far into the future for me to enjoy.;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
The Africa Twin is a beautiful bike and is what I would have designed back in the 80’s to be the ultimate dual purpose bike for what I would use it for but unfortunately now at my age the only off- roading I do is strictly unintentional. I don’t know what I would do to the thing to make it any better so far as design! I assume you told the dealer of the DCT problems you were having with CTX. It is interesting that with all of the problems you had with it you are buying another DCT. I think it is a testament to once you get used to the DCT its hard to go back to a manual shift unless it’s a true performance bike that demands a manual transmission. If you could and since you are buying another DCT explain to the dealer how much time, effort and money you put into fixing the CTX and ask as part of the deal they let you know what the true problem was with the CTX. You got to be dying to know after all of your effort what was the true cause of your problems and everyone here would appreciate any incites into what caused it to fail. Good luck to you and I am jealous as **** because I think Africa Twin is the the bike I always dreamed of having in my youth. Honda stole my design and built the bike too far into the future for me to enjoy.;)

You know, when it comes right down to it, I had a really hard time looking at a bike that DIDN'T have a DCT.

I use my CTX to commute to work, and using a clutch and shifting manually, just didn't make sense.

Unfortunately, I will use the AT for that mostly.

But having the option to go "off road" will probably get me in the dirt from time to time. :)

One of the selling points that cinched the deal for me, was the extended warranty.
The way I see it, I'm buying a bike with a pretty **** good insurance policy.

One of my buddies chastised me pretty good about going with another DCT bike, and jokingly stated "I guess I'll talk to you about it in three or four years when this new bike is giving you the same problems."
That really resonated with me, and honestly, I felt he had a point.

But Honda did not offer a 5 year extended warranty for my bike when I bought it, so that speaks volumes to me about the ATs durability.

As for the issues with my CTX, I didn't go into a lot of detail about the issues I was having with it, but I did mention all the parts I replaced.

Honestly, I was afraid I'd get lowballed if I got too chatty about my woes.

It's a funny feeling, getting to a point where you're so frustrated with a bike, that you just don't trust it anymore.

I thought I'd have more sentimental feelings towards walking away from this bike, but after the issues that have cropped up, I'm looking forward to the switch.

When the 16 model of the AT came out, I seriously contemplated a trade in.

The design and look of the bike spoke to me back then.

I wasn't into bikes when the original was made, so I missed out on all the excitement the original created.
But after doing the research and learning about the "Africa Twin" name, I got pretty fired up to throw a leg over one and check it out.

The CTX was my first bike, my first time ever riding, my first time using two wheels as a primary mode of transportation....and that bug lives on!

I will definitely report back my take on the AT

John

61 - 80 of 113 Posts