CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've noticed that on the few times I use my horn, the other driver reacts very quickly. I think the reason we think our horns are "wimpy", is that the sound bounces to the ground and away from us.

Another thought is to ask yourself why you need a louder horn. Will it do any good?

Before you dismiss that thought, just bear with me a second. If a driver is changing lanes and about to move into mine...if I use my horn, will he or won't he notice? If he doesn't notice, I need to take some evasive action. If I've counted on the horn to be my only option, I may be out of options.

I generally don't use my horn and just look for ways to avoid the situations where I might need the horn.

Chris

·
Registered
185 Posts
Stebels are really loud; you probably shouldn't be standing a foot in front of one when it goes off. :D

The problem might be finding a good mounting place. Has anyone done this? Pictures?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've noticed that on the few times I use my horn, the other driver reacts very quickly. I think the reason we think our horns are "wimpy", is that the sound bounces to the ground and away from us.

Another thought is to ask yourself why you need a louder horn. Will it do any good?

I generally don't use my horn and just look for ways to avoid the situations where I might need the horn.

Chris
First off... with my helmet on I CAN'T EVEN HEAR MY HORN! It really need to be replaced. While Stebel is usually the replacement horn to use, because of the tupperware there isn't any place to install it.

If anyone has ideas I'd love to hear it. :)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
"Wimpy" horns are actually easier to hear! Our hearing sensitivity is dramatically higher in the 800-2000 Hz range, where a lot of these "wimpy" horns have the output. Like 30-40 dB (meaning 60-100 times more sensitive) as compared to the "manly" horns at 300 to 500 Hz. Yes, it sounds wimpy, but it is actually much easier for a person to hear. And when I need my horn, I'd rather it be heard clearly than not - but considered "manly".

SOURCE: 25 years as a professional acoustician and acoustical engineer... ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
What timing! April2014 issue of motorcycle consumer news has a review of aftermarket horns.
Their pick - Best value, Fiamm twin tone horn set $24.05 , 129 dB .

I had a set of the steel nautilus dual tone on my wing. I liked them

·
Registered
975 Posts
I miss the quick horns that used to be standard on cages. By used to be, I mean up until around 1995 if I'm remembering correctly. By quick, I mean that there were two button-looking devices, each about the size of one of those miniature candy bars, instead of the horn engagement being integrated into the entire center of the steering wheel. One had a choice with the old horns of blasting or tapping with either hand or just one finger. One could just tap or slap one of the two buttons (usually one on each side of the steering wheel center area) and get this very quickly responding, mild beep, that was very useful at getting another driver's attention, i.e. a car in front of me at a green light, without communicating rudeness or anger towards another driver.

As a bonus, the old horns were very good for playing along with music on the radio like drums. The output would be just mild little toots synchronized with the beat of a song. In my current car and every modern car I've seen, the blasting option is the only option. I've tried doing the tooting thing, but I get no horn sound at all. So it's either a long blast or nothing. It's no wonder that nowadays, there is no way to blow your horn and be polite about it at the same time.

The CTX700, on the other hand, allows for a quick toot I can't just slap at it, but I can give it just a quick push and get a quick, mild toot, and so I like it, despite the wimpyness.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Stebels are really loud; you probably shouldn't be standing a foot in front of one when it goes off. :D

The problem might be finding a good mounting place. Has anyone done this? Pictures?
In fact I have. It is a tight fit but will go up in front behind the nose cowling. To do this I had only to remove the right side cowling down to the side of the gas tank.

Please note the aluminum bracket mounting the Stebel Airhorn.

The first picture is from the front side of the nose.

This second picture is from the rear right side looking forward into the nose area.

·
Registered
585 Posts
air horns.... yeh !

The air horns would be a nice touch for all those
a**h**** who i meet on the wrong side of the road esp. on curves way over the line... autos and motorcycles as well ! Stay on your own side ... or go flyin off the cliff when we blow horn and startle the livin **** outta ya when in the wrong.

If these people have no regard for whom they hurt through these moves
i have little mercy if they wreck vs. me doing so.

All said and done ...need to get rid of the
stock "meep meep" bugs bunny & roadrunner show.

* whats the current draw on those babies ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
In fact I have. It is a tight fit but will go up in front behind the nose cowling. To do this I had only to remove the right side cowling down to the side of the gas tank.

Please note the aluminum bracket mounting the Stebel Airhorn.

The first picture is from the front side of the nose.

This second picture is from the rear right side looking forward into the nose area.

Thank you for sharing. I plan to install a FIAMM Screaming Banshee horn on my 2014 CTX700 (Fairing Model) and just wonder how your install went and if you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ponydrvr - thanks for taking the time to get the photos. - Jim

Reactions: Easy Wheelin

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I found my new favorite youtube creator, Mark Rober. I discovered his squirrel course (
) and love his creativity and use of science. How is this relevant? He tackles horns! May not be too practical for bikes, but great for cars..
And for those who like loud horns, although it is impossible for a bike and not even practical for a cage, a wee small part of me can't stop giggling when I consider possible uses for this last one

I think I am getting a bit stir crazy... hope all are well. Phil

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Stir crazy, what stir crazy? This entire situation is becoming a joke. The latest "No shoes, no shirt, no mask = no entry". Since I refuse to wear a mask, a lot of non essential stores have lost my business. I am now into saving, or rather spending less.

·
Registered
74 Posts
"Wimpy" horns are actually easier to hear! Our hearing sensitivity is dramatically higher in the 800-2000 Hz range, where a lot of these "wimpy" horns have the output. Like 30-40 dB (meaning 60-100 times more sensitive) as compared to the "manly" horns at 300 to 500 Hz. Yes, it sounds wimpy, but it is actually much easier for a person to hear. And when I need my horn, I'd rather it be heard clearly than not - but considered "manly".

SOURCE: 25 years as a professional acoustician and acoustical engineer... ;)
This was a good response to this issue. There is also the issue of wave propagation. Lower freqs. have longer wavelengths, the higher the freq., the more of the sound you hear in any given moment. With higher freqs. the doppler effect will be more pronounced to the listener as you approach them.
Move first, then horn. If they didn't see you, they probably won't hear you or know where the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For those who have “crash bars”, they provide lots of optional mounting points for better horns. I used a Fiamm Low tone attached to the bars near the stock location.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts