CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed the brackets and supports for the rear carrier and saddlebags last night. Just for kicks, I took a picture of my CTX700N, once I had the body panels off.

Yeah, I was a bit baffled, when I found out how much bodywork had to be removed, but it's because everything is layered, starting from the back. In order to get to where the front mounts go for the saddlebags, you have to peel everything back from the front, just to get to the mounting points.

All I can say, is thank God for the service manual! It made it immensely easier to locate all of the bolts, screws, and clips.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
nice picture. can u do one with brackets in place before putting panels back if not too late.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I can see that this will be PHUN in the parking lot, for me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
nice picture. can u do one with brackets in place before putting panels back if not too late.
Sorry, Bill ... everything was installed and put back together, last night. I know I should've taken more pictures, but I was so hot and sweaty, and the bugs were annoying the heck out of me, I just wanted to finish things up and get back into the house, ASAP.

Maybe it's just a girl thing about the sweat and bugs ... I dunno. :)

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Hey Dewalt, what tools do you really need to do all that? I need to start getting some together when I find a sale.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Sorry, Bill ... everything was installed and put back together, last night. I know I should've taken more pictures, but I was so hot and sweaty, and the bugs were annoying the heck out of me, I just wanted to finish things up and get back into the house, ASAP.

Maybe it's just a girl thing about the sweat and bugs ... I dunno. :)
No, guys sweat too and bugs are a real pain. I have a big bug light (sometime a bud light too) hanging in my garage when I work at night out there. I just don't work right under it...lol

there will be more times for pictures. interesting seeing the skeleton some.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the photo DD. I'll not be the only one thinking there's room for a bigger fuel tank in there, in place of the small compartment. Jacket pockets could probable hold more. Yet to see a CTX in the flesh, but I'm intregued that the thing that looks like a conventional tank in the conventional place, is actually 3 pieces. Those top seams must fit with typical Honda precision.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Dewalt, what tools do you really need to do all that? I need to start getting some together when I find a sale.
You'd be surprised how few tools it took:
  • 5mm hex wrench
  • 8mm hex wrench
  • 12mm socket wrench (standard depth)
  • 12mm crescent wrench (box end on one end/open on the other)
  • stubby Phillips head screwdriver

The Phillips head screwdriver is for releasing the body panel clips. There's so little clearance in some of the areas, you're best off using one of the finger-bits that look like this:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
note that the above post should say "combination wrench", not "crescent wrench" - I don't know why I typed the wrong word, as I certainly know the difference between the two.

Alas, the time restrictions on editing one's own posts preempts me from being able to fix it.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
note that the above post should say "combination wrench", not "crescent wrench" - I don't know why I typed the wrong word, as I certainly know the difference between the two.

Alas, the time restrictions on editing one's own posts preempts me from being able to fix it.

Not to worry about spelling. Most find errors once they post and don't try to fix them. Guilty I am but sometimes I do edit.

I think you painted a pretty good picture of the wrench because you described it. You did not describe a crescent.

I use a right angle small ratchet that takes screwdriver type bits when access is tight. Your picture shows some I should add to my tool box.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That does not look like the RED, is that Orange?

·
Registered
329 Posts
you know what would go great with that?

... Underneath all that plastic?

A BIGGER FUEL TANK!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
There are shortcuts outlined in the step by step I wrote in the how to section. Of course mine is a CTX700D but it should still apply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts