CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heat is on here this week, so I used yesterday to make one of my favorite rides – up to the top of Mt. Lemmon AZ. This ride and the ride to the top of Kitt Peak are certainly #1 and 2 in terms of bucket list rides for this area. In addition to just enjoying the smooth curves (rode all the way up with DCT in manual mode), I wanted to document an unusual “sighting” that I observed about 7 years ago when I resumed motorcycling. (I am 71 now, but had taken 45 years away from riding). I had started back on a Honda Rebel 250 and the ride all the way across town and up to the top of Mt Lemmon was a big deal then. On the ride back down that day I had stopped at VooDoo overlook and saw this hole in the wall of rock. (see pic labeled Hole2). As I rode further down, I just happened to look up to my right and way above me I saw the hole again (see pic Hole1). Yesterday I wanted to try to document both those views and mark the locations where I saw them. The two pictures of the hole are both taken with the exact same amount of zoom used on the camera. Those 2 spots are documented on the map. Mt Lemmon also has “the southern most ski area in the U.S." and that is on the map also. Above the ski area is a tight and twisty road that goes beyond the top of the ski area and ends at a group of telescopes owned by the U of A. You can’t get to them except on a tour, but there is a nice hiking trail with great views where you park up there. I will also attach some other pics and the ride profile. On the profile, mile 5 is what is labeled on the map as the bottom. Riding, it is 4.3 miles from Hole1 to Hole2 and exactly 1000 feet different in elevation. Nothing could have been better than yesterday: moderate temps, clear blue sky, not much traffic, riding the twisties in manual mode, and a chance to play with maps and my GPS.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts